1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

KC Chiefs tryin to fool somebody

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Jan 13, 2017.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    The Chiefs didn't have anybody on the LP or DNP list on Thursday. They're trying to give the appearance that everybody is healthy, but I think they're trying to hide injuries so the Steelers don't try to exploit them.
    They have Justin Houston and Tamba Hali with swollen knees that have kept them out of action a lot this season, and Houston and Hali practiced were full participants in practice for the first time in a long time.

Houston and Hali are 2 of the best in the NFL at their position. They might play, but they won't be at full speed, and probably will end up limping or getting helped off the field. Friday will tell the tale, because they probably will be sore from todays practice. At best, they will be listed questionable. But doubtful is probably more like it. They're being used to influence Steeler game planning.

Eric Berry is also nursing a injury from the last Cheifs game 2 weeks ago. He strained an achilles. He got a full practice too, but you can go half speed with a strained achilles. An achilles strain doesn't heal in 2 weeks, I don't care who you are. They're worse than a high ankle sprain.
    Berry is also one of the best in the NFL at his position.

TE Kelce and KR/WR Tyreek Hill is who we can't let beat us. Hill is the a 4.25 speedster with a knack for returning punts and kickoffs for TD's. He got one on us in week 4, but it was called back on penalty.

Hali, Houston, and Berry are their 3 best players, and will be at about 50% on Sunday. Even their starting RB Spenser Ware is nursing ribs.

Our biggest concern should be KC QB Alex Smith. He has the 5th best post-season QB rating in league history. He buys time, throws deadly accurate short balls, and can run for 1st downs.

It's hard to imagine us in a better situation than we're in right now. When a team has to resort to having zero guys limited in practice and zero DNP's, then you know they are desperate.

My only concern is that our special teams is going to get burned all day by Tyreek Hill. How do we fix special teams all of the sudden? Could be huge.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I feel that the biggest need for the steelers is to put up points early so we can dictate the game flow. KC defense is dangerous if they make you one dimensional but if we can do what we did to Miami we will have them where we want them. The run is there defense's weakness and we can pound it with a lead. Smith is great with the play action working and a run game to lean on but he isn't a down field attack qb. I know it's vital to have a lead in any game but it is very important against this one.

3. steelersfansince84

steelersfansince84 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

Really ??? Alex Smith??? 5th best all time ? Is that out of 3 games or somthing lol. He's not that good....
    He can definitely run for a first down though I'll give him that....
    but let's ask Matt Moore how that went last week

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Alex Smith is not a dangerous passer, and he has a history of being less effective in colder weather. It's going to be cold with freezing rain. If Smith somehow escalates his game, we could have a problem, but I'm just not seeing a great playoff performance on Smith's agenda for Sunday.

5. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Don't kick it to Hill at all costs. Out of the end zone on all kickoffs and on punts go for the sideline or even the end zone on each one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    too bad boz cant hit the endzone everytime, and kicking OOB on kickoffs is a disaster. Like I have said all year, special teams do MATTER lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree about boz BUT this is the playoffs. This is the time for every player to step it up a notch and play out of their minds. Will Boz do it? I hope so and I guess we'll see.

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    And it's one of the reasons why I've never understood the penalty on KO's for kicking out-of-bounds. Why is it ok to do it on punts, but not KO's?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I guess I would rather give it to them at the 40 than watch them kick an extra point the next play.... It is going to be cold which makes it harder to kick a long ways as well. ST's is definitely not a highlight of our team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    constantly giving them the ball at the 40 aint good either. pick your poison, I would take my chances on trying to kick a touchback, and if not we try to stop him.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He only has 15 TDs throwing and 8 picks this year, he does lead the team in rushing TDs with 5, passing stats does seem to be quite low for a QB in the playoffs especially without a dominating run game with spencer ware and tyreek hill tied with 3 rushing TDs apiece, but hill has 6 TDs receiving and 3 on KO returns for a total of 12, so he is the biggest concern for the defense, but smith is not a big threat to light up the scoreboard throwing the ball if we cover kelce and hill and contain smith, our defense has to be buttoned up for this game....

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My wife asked the same question last week during the Miami game.

Only answer I had was "A bunch of guys sitting around a table said so".

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    According to current NFL injury report rules, they have all personnel listed correctly. That they are trying to fool the Steelers is not remotely true.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Did you see the packers exploit that rule by touching a KO with the feet out of bounds? Ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think we just have to pray on KO we can stop him. But every punt needs to be kicked out of bounds. Willing to sacrifice 10-20 yards in field position all game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    is Hill even this good? Is he the next hester or what?

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    From what I have seen, yeah. He's fast and small. 6 receiving touchdowns and 4 KO or punt returns. He had one of their only touchdowns in Week 4. Made that crazy spin/dive. If we stop him and Kelce, I really like our chances.

• Like Like x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Like most said, punt the ball out of bounds or to the sideline to limit his options. Danny Smith will be preaching lane discipline all week to his kick off coverage team. They better listen if Boz cannot get it to the EZ on a consistent basis.

If its slick and rainy I would definitely be harping on trying to strip the ball as well.

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    why cant we kick it low and on the grass?
    what is that called? not onsides but....
    let the ball get all wet and maybe have some one playing mid way try to handle it
    any advantage ?

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the always fun to say...squib kick?

• Like Like x 2
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah a squibbly kick. Thing with those is you get them on the 30-40, but he probably can take it to the 40-td everytime anyways.

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    thanks i was thinking skittle kick
    scribble kick
    scuttle kick
    squib kick it is

well , would that be helpful?
    also, can it be kicked like really hard line drivish?

• Like Like x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    for sure, generally they are hoping one of the up returners fields it, thus lessening the TD potential because Hill is not returning it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    why do the Steelers refuse to use a speedy guy on kick returns? they usually have Coats and Toussaint returning kicks and the kicking team usually kicks it to Toussaint. Coats has Speed and should be back there alone. drives me crazy everytime i see Toussaint return it. i know he has zero chance at taking it all the way. if they have their heart set on using 2 guys back there than put Coats and Ayers back there. atleast that way the kicking team cant always kick it to the slower guy.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's probably because Toussaint never fumbles... err almost never :huh:

• Agree Agree x 1