1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaboly: Camp winners and losers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 17, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I suspect you may be suspecting too soon. Gentry and Washington are like comparing a banana and a pear.

Let's breath a bit and let real offensive coordinator call plays. Lord knows we have not had one in 3 years and Tomlin was CLUELESS himself what to do.

We will evaluate Washington after Yr 2, maybe after Yr. 3 - as most draft picks should be.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You are right I hated comparing a 1st round pick like Heath Miller to Washington, but if you look at the Stats you will see that it even took Heath 5 years before he was on top of his game in the NFL.

I think 50 receptions is a pretty good yard stick to judge a TE.
    Heath Miller had his first 50 reception season in year 5.
    After his 4th year for the rest of his career he went over 50 catches in every season but 1.

You are trying to close the book on a mid round pick like Washington after 1 year where he started the season as the 3rd string TE.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey, I didn't hear anything about Cory Trice. Was he allowed to practice with the team in team vs team drills, or was he standing on the sideline again holding his helmet with that big brace on his knee like OTAs?

Cory is going to be a victim of the age old saying.....
    "You can't make the club in the tub"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If Washington continues to be a very effective 6th lineman plus catches around 20 passes for 14 first downs and a couple of TD's, then I will be satisfied with that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys are dreaming and are excited about the wrong TE.

A slow lumbering TE that can’t run routes is never going to be a force.

Hey but he’s tall!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    To be fair, Washington posted a 4.67 on his 40 at the combine, pretty impressive for a guy his size. But his route speed will depend on which they've got him running and how/if he's developing some technique. He was considered pretty nimble on crossers and seam routes but more plodding on timing routes and sharp breaks underneath. It was similar to areas of his blocking game, excellent athleticism, but raw in spots.

When they drafted him my thought was they had at least a plus blocker to compliment Pat's receiving skills, with the upside that he develop into an elite blocker who was a threat in the passing game as well. Obviously, we haven't seen signs of the latter yet, but I'm interested to see what they do with Freiermuth's between now and the start of the season. I agree he could see an uptick in production this year, which could make him an expensive re-sign on the open market.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Trice was wearing a brace still at OTAs, he should be ready for training camp.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    We're most likely drafting a QB early if not next year than the year after. Next year's QB class right now is not considered to be strong. A lot of time left for things to develop. Right now I see the team riding with the veteran Wilson. Fields needs more time to develop his pure passing skills. These things take time. I am ok riding with Wilson this year, after that who knows. Does Fields develop? I say it's possible but I would look for the draft if not this year then definitely the year after.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And fumble!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What scares me the most is more then 1 reporter has said during OTA's that Justin has struggled with accuracy. That's scary when in shorts and not with game conditions with pads and lineman going full speed at him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Fields timing is off and he has been inaccurate? His entire career his timing has been off and he has been inaccurate, that's just who he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Timing gets off by not realizing what the defense is doing. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It is but he doesn’t play fast. He’s actually faster than Muth but Muth looks much faster on the field.

Can’t say I agree he has ever looked nimble, looks lumbering to me. He impresses during OTA’s because it doesn’t represent anything that looks like an actual game but once you put a defense on him it’s just not his strength. I felt that way when he came out and have seen more than one beat writer say he isn’t going to do much in that aspect of the game.

They brought Smiths TE, Pruitt over from Atlanta, I would expect Muth and him to be used as the receiving TE’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's see some pads on before we annoit winners and losers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Your play speed is the route speed I was alluding to, and I've yet to see him looking that fleet of foot either. All I was saying is that he does possess some straight line speed for a guy his size, and scouts thought he flashed potential for developing better footwork so he could perform the type of cuts and such he would have to make in routes at the next level (obviously Bowers the receiving TE for Georgia). Maybe he never does, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Pruitt has spent several years in Smith's offense, but isn't really a production guy. In 17 games last year he brought in 9 receptions for 110 yards; 16/150 the year before . Still, he knows the offense and has the reputation as a more-than-willing blocker that can catch the occasional pass. I think he's there more for his fit with the system and to help bring the others along. Freiermuth and Heyward will likely continue to be top receiving options.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    There was an apparent reason the Bears gave him away other than drafting Caleb. Do you honestly think a team would give up someone that had some talent? I said this all along and I still stand firm, these 2 qbs are not the saviors that many think they are. Got them both on blue light special from K Mart. But, what do I know?!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I completely agree with you about Fields throwing the ball but he is such an elite runner I think we need to put some packages in that allow him to do just that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    As long as he doesn’t fumble, which seemed to be a big problem in Chicago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What a waste of a 1st round pick. Oh, a 7th rounder. Our second 7th rounder. And he seems to be a favorite whipping boy of yours. Why waste so much time and effort on a 7th rounder?

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    For all the Fanboys out there trying to make him out to be our Next starting CB.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You know it just dawned on me that all these snaps would have come when Fautanu was playing RT. Be curious to see if Fautanu gets moved back to his college position of LT, and some of his problems just go away.

It also sounds like Mason Mccormick won the Best Rookie Lineman this offseason, He must have looked like the next big thing as the Steelers let James Daniels know that his services will not be needed next year. (I was not a fan when the Steelers took Mason over TJ Tampa, but the Steelers might have found a 10 year anchor for the OG position)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    38 fumbles in his time in Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yes the turnovers by any of the players will affect the defense that is getting older up front. the more they have to be on the field as we have seen in the past, contributes to them getting tired, worn down and injured. limiting them on the field has to be managed by the offense. ball control should help but quick turn around turnovers won't. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2