1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just who will be the BPA @15

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Those Kent State LB's have worked out pretty good for us eh? LOL!

Really I was joking, but you can make an argument that some positions at certain big programs don't pan out too often. Like University of Florida QB's or WR's

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The game has changed you don't draft a player at #15 if he's going to be a 2 down player. It's not like Nix is good as Hampton when they drafted him in the 1st. If you're going to draft a player at #15 you need to get more bang for your buck, sorry a NT is not good value.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This is an incredibly narrow minded outlook. Just because a guy will play only play 67 percent of the snaps, doesn't mean he can't impact the game in a huge way. I'm not advocating for Nix (as I've stated before I'm all in on Gilbert or Dennard) but you just can't pass up a guy that you think will be a big time playmaker (very possible that the steelers feel this way about Nix) just because he isn't an every down guy. If he makes plays and impacts the game, then, yes he has value at 15...

Hypothetically imagine if Gradkowski played every first down just to hand it off to Bell... Would Ben not make an impact on the game worthy of a first round pick on downs 2 and 3? I think so.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nix looked fat and not very athletic at the combine not interested in him at all, also I think he's coming off a knee injury.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Also Ed Bouchette of the post gazette said the same thing it doesn't make sense to draft a player at #15 who will only play half the snaps.

6. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Does that also eliminate Ebron who will probably play only as a second TE while Heath is here?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    2nd?:hmmm::cool:

8. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, Mac- 2nd in the 2-TE set, or lined up in the slot as the big WR!

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he'll have to learn to block better as the 2nd TE and why not draft a big WR if he's going to be used that way?:cool:

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    These are what I would call legitimate reasons to not want to draft someone.

11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Bouchette disagrees with me? I'll take that as a compliment :cool:

And to OBX's point... yes, theoretically logic like this would eliminate us drafting Ebron because he wouldn't be used as an inline blocker and thus would not see the field on many 3rd downs. IMO it makes no sense, bc if we drafted Ebron, he absolutely would make an impact on this team (same could even be said about Donald who would likely be a sub package player for us primarily). Who cares if he plays less snaps... If he's a baller, I want him. Simple as that.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: definitely.

If Gilbert and Dennard are gone and Ebron is still there, sure hope they take him.

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a joke to me to think that his blocking can't improve. Everyone else is capable of working on things and getting better in certain area's, why isn't he? It's not like his blocking is atrocious like some are making it sound. He's every bit worth the 15th selection, IMO. Totally agree SG, I want players. Simple as that...

Agreed.. I think if Gilbert or Dennard are available the Steelers have to go that way simply out of need.

If they're gone.. Ebron.

14. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    The more I see on Cook the more impressed I get. Wallace speed with great ability after the catch. Immediate return skills. Not the red zone guy but if you run through the red zone and score maybe he doesn't have to be. Any comments from you serious draft guys who have watched a lot of tape on him?

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I like him a lot. nothing says we couldn't also draft a tall guy later without losing much in the way of talent.:cool:

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they're gone Mike Evans should be the choice.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Did Dennards 4.51 40 at the combine hurt him a little?? Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State: Dennard falling to the Steelers at No. 15 is a realistic, though optimistic, scenario for a team that needs to get younger on the defensive side of the ball. He’s a polished corner who can be an asset in the locker room and fall in line with the Steelers’ organizational philosophies. And Dennard meets the grade physically, coming off an All-America season and answering doubts about his upside with a 4.51 in the 40 at the NFL combine.