1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just who will be the BPA @15

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that we will be signing Worilds to a long term contract anytime soon.

Personally, I think Worilds took the big short term payday and is still looking to cash in long term next year.

Draft Barr, have him sit behind Worilds for a year, and then start next year.

I'm not saying we SHOULD do this, but its definitely an option.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Barr is not a sure thing, but IMO he is completely different from Davis. Davis was a marginal athlete who was a really good college player, but really didn't have the strength or athleticism to be a pro. I think Michael Sam is similar to Bruce Davis IMO.

Barr on the other hand is loaded with athleticism. I'm not sure I see enough strength in him to beat tackles once they get their hands on him, but he'll be hard to handle from a speed perspective.

As I look at what I typed above about Bruce Davis and Michael Sam, I have an uneasily feeling that a similar situation may exist for Jarvis Jones. I sincerely hope not, but he looked really overmatched physically last year. I hope your working out hard this offseason JJ...

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think the Steelers can afford to take a chance on a player like Barr, he seems like a boom or bust guy. Also he probably wouldn't get much playing time as a rookie the Steelers need a player who can help in 2014, that's why I would go CB or WR.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd wait and go after a guy like chris smith or gayle. smith had more sacks in the SEC then clowney. he or gayle would be 3rd to 4th round guys. they would be much better fits in a 3-4 than how they were used mainly in college. a couple of sleeper 3-4 OLB'ers with the right coaching will end up steals.:cool:

5. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he could probably play some in the slot. He is definitely a tight end, but with the spread system that Fedora brought to UNC Ebron did line up in the slot position from time to time and made some big catches over the middle. I'm not sure I want the Steelers to draft him as we have some other pressing needs. If we did though, he's a big athletic dude who could definitely be the big receiver Ben wants. Maybe kill two birds with one stone though with future Miller replacement and another guy who can catch the ball this year?

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He played in the slot, he played in-line and he also lined up wide a bit.. If Ebron is on the board, I think he's the pick.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we got palmer signed now to late.:dancing::lolol::cool:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I read we sent a large group to ND's pro day. nix? tuitt? martin? :cool:

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah Tomlin even lined up at center for Nix on some drills. Peezy was there but I think that was more for scouting experiencen

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Niklas too

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ahh yea forgot about him. they have a DB or WR as well as a LB that's pretty good too, and Atkinson the RB.

whats your thoughts on tuitt? first rounder DE?:cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    With the way things shaked out, we could definitely use him. I've seen him projected as a late 1st round to 2nd round but I think he can go higher, With our needs and the talent available, they will have a hard time disappointing me with the 1st pick.

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Nix, Tuitt, Hageman, Gilbert, Dennard, Ebron, Evans, Lee, Benjamin... It all depends on who is there. Any of these guys would make excellent picks at 15. Outside chance of Mosley and Shazier too.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Tuitt and Hageman are not #15 overall picks, IMO.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

How come? Just curious as I value your evaluations.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks, BF. Tuitt is a fringe late 1st/2nd rounder to me. Hageman I see as more of a mid/late 2nd rounder. Tuitt plays a lot better inside than he does at 5 tech. Hageman is more of a project in general.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you TTF

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with TTF on Tuitt and Hagemann. I think both players have the potential to be really good, but neither are as low-risk as we would like to see with the #15 pick. Also importantly, I see both guys being similar to Heyward in terms of how long it takes them to impact. We all love Heyward now, but it took him a while to be a strong contributor. With our gaping roster holes, I think we need a guy who can be a contributor day 1, and not just a learner.

On Notre Dame's roster I see 2 guys who would impact day 1. Nix is an immediate upgrade IMO over anyone that we have on the nose. The more I've watched him, the more and more sold I am. Go back a season and watch the national championship game that they lost to Alabama. He was exceptional in a losing effort that day (which I can't say for Tuitt). Martin is day 1 starter somewhere on the O-line. He really is that solid, and that pro-ready. If we take a Notre Dame player at #15, it has to be one of those guys. I would lean toward Martin because he will probably contribute on more downs in a game than Nix.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think nix is slow. I think he poses trouble in that regard. against ZBS teams he will create problems as a clog. I think he's a stretch by a long shot. he's no casey. he might be closer to what casey became. people forget hamp came in here quick. 6-1 315 and ran a 5.12. he benched 35 or 38 reps. I don't see nix as that type of guy. a decent penetrator but without the side to side mobility to go down the line or near the range. I hope he's not the pick.:cool:

20. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Agreed; not@ 15. Caraun Reid as an NT/DE, or Daniel McCullers to stuff the middle @ nose. Available much later on.
    @ 15? CB, WR, or top-flight TE.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotcha, thanks :thumbs_up:

I just think he offers enough to be considered there. Can't really say about Hageman, not familiar with him enough.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the thing with Hageman is if you coach him up and get him motivated he could be well worth the #15 pick. The problem is it is hard to speculate. He is Boom or Bust. He is crazy athletic though.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Just to be clear, what I said was IF pick #15 is a guy from Notre Dame, it could only be Nix or Martin. I might be OK with Martin at #15. I like Nix more than I did a week or two ago, but it's really doubtful that he'll be my BPA at #15. I could think of plenty of worse picks though.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's OK elvis. it wasn't meant as a rebuttal to your post, just what my personal views of nix are.:cool:

25. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Really? From what I have heard jones was able to handle him one on one long enough for his qb to get his throws off...