1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just one more reason to use a FB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Dec 18, 2011.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    First, I just want to say that one of the keys on my keyboard are broken, so forgive me for the spelling mistake, I have no choice. The key that's broken is the letter that comes after the letter Y in the alphabet.

Anyway, I'm watching the Chargers/Rats game tonight obviously, and I heard the commentators talk about how the Ravens FB came over and taught Ray Rice a lot about the sone blocking scheme and the sone running game (the same type of scheme we use).

I never thought about it like that before, but it's true, a FB can help a RB improve his game not just because he blocks, but he can explain various concepts, various do's and dont's. A TE, especially a useless one, isn't going to help Mendy improve his game in the least because his concept of the running game is truly limited.

God I hope we fire Ariens after this year and get an OC who will use a FB and get this running game back to where it should be.

2. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Here you go bud. Hope you can use these:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:wizard: :D

3. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

HI...this is 2011...not 1975...we are a passing team....

no one uses a FB anymore....

turn the page...

Sincerely,
    Modern Day Steelers

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am calling BS on this both because yes teams with very successful power running games do use a FB. Also the Steelers are not a passing team now sorry if they were they would make the adjustments needed to become a passing team such as the Packers, Saints, Pats, Colts, Eagles and so. While we are at it the Steelers of the 70's were able to blend the passing attack and a power run game and do it effectively so that whole we are a passing team now doesn't hold water. This is the time to cue up the well they had a better Oline then defense or the our Oline isn't good enough so they have to be a passing team now. Which is still BS in my book.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    FB are most certainly used and used alot. Baltimore uses one a ton, so does Houston, Cincy does as well, and many more. Just because you are a passing team doesw not rule out the use of the FB. Green Bay uses one too, so do the Raiders. Watch other teams, many usea FB and withy great success.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    As has been mentioned, it's entirely possible to be a high-octane passing team and still utilize a fullback. Heck, we try to use a 270-lb TE as a fullback, which is ineffective, so we might as well find some hammerhead FB that can at least block, and would probably be no less talneted than Johnson at catching the ball.

8. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I watched the Cardinals use a FB from the two yard line in the I formation and score on the Browns like it was nothing. Guess who the OC is for the Cardinals? Ken Whisenhunt!!!

Arians lines up in his famous one back set against the Browns and could not get it in with four tries from the two yard line.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    we just need someone that can block and use redmanand mendy in the same backfield in short yardage situations.

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could Dwyer be our FB or is he too small??? I really liked what I saw the game he started and, instead of just standing on the sideline, he could actually be in the game...... :scratch: