1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Question????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Oct 19, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't agree all the time with any coach We've had in Pittsburgh, and I've hated all 3 that I've watched at one time ,or the other, but I realize that.....So.....here is the Question.....
    If Tomlin is so dumb, and such a horrible Head coach......Why does almost every player that leaves here(from under his coaching) never play as well as they did here????:shrug:
    I don't want to hear everything else, but the answer to this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the obvious reason and not directly related to Tomlin is that players that leave often times place money over situation they are going into. Teams with the most money to spend are often times just bad teams and signing with them even for a buttload of cash means they often struggle on a new team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I already thought of that, and knew that would be the 1st, and only viable answer, but it's not true. I can name a quiet a few that went to teams that had better records, or as good as ours when they went.....Yet their production still drops..
    Also....I can also name almost as much that do better after they get Here from leaving other teams.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with thorn058. Most of them leave for money only. Continuity builds better teams. This is not just true with Pittsburgh only but throughout the league. The Steelers in the 70's had great players but what made them Champions was brotherhood. You'll never see that going forward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I already replied to his answer, and from research it's not true.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Research or not I respectfully disagree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's Your prerogative:thumbs_up:
    So facts mean nothing..... Just how You feel??. :thumbs_up:
    Cool with Me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There is more to it that how former players play when they go elsewhere.

I don't think Tomlin is dumb. I think Tomlin does a good job of getting the most skill out of a player. Where he struggles is game management, and the development of game plans that exploit the weaknesses of his opponents.

I think this is why I am always on the fence with Tomlin. I like a lot of the things he does but hate many others. I would never assume him to be dumb. Stubborn and non self aware for sure. But never dumb.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Totally agree with this...., but calling Him stupid, or a terrible coach would show up in the players leaving, getting worse, and also a lot of players brought in get better, and it's not just sprinkling Steelers dust on them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the point is that free agents usually don’t perform as well after leaving for the money. Not just Steelers free agents, but free agents from all teams. I have never attempted to quantify it, but my impression has always been that most splashy free agent signings fail league wide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But that's not true.....also...
    What about the ones We get that play better when they get here???

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Does the research show what type of situation they are going into or their role on good teams? I know when you look at Adam's and Hill they left good teams with high production on those teams to get paid for maybe not so good teams and initially they had a drop in production until they became more insync with their new QB and then they began to produce again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I think MT tries to be a friend/mentor/father more than a boss, Ol Chuck would have nothin to do with that! N look at those results, jus sayin! IRON FIST!

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    none of em have that I can remember other than Woodson dating all 3 coaches. I could be wrong or drunk though. Cowher had some that bounced under him and nada.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Like Duce Staley?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Because of Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I took “situation” to refer as well to the player’s fit in the new team’s scheme and accompanying talent. For example, a team acquires high-production Player X to be WR1…but has a pile of dog poo as WR2. Double-teams ensue, production is underwhelming.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There's a lot of players that left Pittsburgh that loved the organization and hated leaving, though we know it is business.
    I was in Washington for years, Ryan Clark and Randel El were two that I talked to many, many, many times.
    They always said that "Pittsburgh is one of the very best" and the Rooney's are mentioned time again as the best. (Something I also know from personal experiences)
    Mike Tomlin gets a ton of respect among players and coaches throughout this league. There's good reason.

Personally, I feel that 15 years is a long time in any position in the NFL.
    It may be the time has come to switch but I prefer it be on Mike's terms.
    I figure he will walk away if he feels he cannot compete, or it may be that he re-invents himself, and does go out and upgrades his staff etc, to make a run at glory.
    I dunno.

*Antoine Randle El was never the same player he was here. I liked the guy a lot and I had huge hopes for him.
    * Ryan Clark was a big plus for Washington, he did play well but Washington squandered his talents. I think I opened every conversation with "I am sorry"
    There were quite a few others but these two immediately come to mind.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Chuck also had players that had to work Summer jobs to pay the bills. $23,000 Average salary @$115k in the 70's and no free agency.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    WOW!!!! I think we may have made a wrong turn somewhere. I just can't see things moving forward this way.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Examples STD...Can you formulate a list, and then we can make an assessment based on each player?

Off the top of my head, I can probably remember about half, but I'm sure I'd leave a lot out

• Like Like x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm very tough on Tomlin but I do believe he's smart...Players love to play for him ( but I believe that's because he's so Buddy buddy with them ) and has no repurcussions when they're dancing around...

Tomlins problem ( and this is the most important thing ) is he sucks at clock management, challenges, and situational Football...

You can be the " nicest Guy " and the most inspirational Coach there is but...If you stink at the actual in game Coaching situations, That trump's all

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Emmanuel Sanders played better for the Broncos than he did for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Many players that leave the Steelers are past their prime years as a player, so their decline is a part of the natural process. But there are enough players that are still in their prime that should have success with other teams. Mike Wallace isn't the biggest example of still in his prime, yet was a nothing burger without Big Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You say it isn't true, but you provide no evidence to back up your claim.

You said you could name quite a few examples earlier in the thread. Name them. Show your work rather than expecting us to just take your word for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2