1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a question...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Apr 27, 2012.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you guys think Todd Haley had ANY input whatsoever in this draft? Do you think this draft would've went the same if we were still under BA's scheme? Just curious. Personally I would say that Todd Haley didn't have anything to do with any of it. Just wondering if there's a differing opinion.

2. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    No, the #1 rated guard fell in there laps. Did you notice how quick the card was turned in?

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Psycho is right. The question seems to suggest that BA's scheme had no use for an offensive line. If a guy like Decastro is there, and you have a line int he state of ours, then you pick him.

Scheme would presumably only come into it if we were talkinjg about equal talents with different strengths (zone blocking etc.).

4. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We went Oline in the 1st and 2nd in the last 2 years under BA didn't we?

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well we did get an o-linemen in the 1st with Pouncey but last year we took Cameron Heyward. I was just hoping that maybe IF Haley had any input this is a sign that he wants to get back to the good ole days of a tough o-line so we can pound the football. It says a lot about Decastro that we drafted him because our philosophy is to always take the best player available. A lot of people on here seemed to think Hightower was gonna be the guy but obviously the FO disagrees. Now I hope we go get another o-linemen.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The people who wanted Hightower (I admit, I was one of them) thought that there was no chance in the world that DeCastro would be on the board at #24, and didn't want to mortgage our draft to move up to 12-15 to get him. Even the most hardcore Hightower supporters were holding their breath when Cinci picked at 17, then again when they picked at 21. Once we got past 20, though, I saw DeCastro, Reiff, Glenn, and Hightower, and I knew that no matter what happened, the Steelers were going to have a great first round pick.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I'm not saying that I think anyone was disappointed. But here is another question. IF decastro was gone and Hightower was still there would we have taken Hightower over Glenn? The reason I ask this is because Mike Mayock seemed so set on the fact that we were DEFINITELY gonna take Glenn.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Did Todd Haley have input into the draft? Of course he did, all coaches have input into every draft. Would we have taken Decastro if we still had BA? Probably, yes but we'll never know for sure, nor does it matter since BA is gone.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Mayock would have taken Glenn - even when he knew DeCastro was still on the board, which erodes his credibility. I have said all along that Glenn isn't 1st round talent. Realistically 2-3 and I believe the dropoff from DeCastro to Glenn is big. and the difference between Glenn and some of the other G's out there available in round 2-4 isn't as great. So, I just don't think the Steelers would have used the 1st round pick for Glenn if DeCastro wasn't there because they could get someone just as good in round 2 or 3. If Decastro wasn't there, I believe Hightower would have been the guy.

And even though I posted comments about BA maybe having a preference for a different position (which was kinda tongue in cheek), the DeCastro pick clearly is a no brainer decision and definitely the right choice for the Steelers.

10. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Same here, I thought Detroit was gonna taken, but when they took Reiff, I was like, HOLY HUMPEN HELL, we have shot and a choice to make which I think was the right one. WOW , SO EXCITED

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aye.

I've said it before, but people need to hold up on these expectations of what Haley is going to do. Looking for clues in a process involving several coaches, a head coach and a GM probably won't be too illuminating.

And I don't really understand why we need to drag up "[Bad Word] Arians" into this.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers have a history of being one of the best draft teams in the league. BA didn't have a whole lot to do with it while he was OC here, heck, he didn't even go to last years combine. The draft is mostly KC's brain child.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :applaud: :goodpost: I can assure you that Haley had little to do with selecting DeCastro. Sure, coordinators and position coaches give their input on the prospects on the board, but most of the credit/responsibility goes to Colbert, Tomlin, the scouting staff, etc...