1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu's projected season stats

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Please find the post where I claimed that one player made the Colts defense good. Oh wait. You can't. I never wrote that. I wrote that it was a mistake to pass on a guy who earned All-Pro honors as a rookie because it was exactly that and the guy they took in his place is still not coming close to living up to being a first-round draft choice.

Despite your false claims, the evidence so far this season absolutely backs up my point. The addition by subtraction isn't working. The receiving corps is much worse and the team is 1-4. Where exactly is the improved locker room chemistry supposed to help them? Is it supposed to help them be better prepared at the start of games? They are still starting slowly. Was it supposed to eliminate the communication errors on defense? That hasn't happened. Was it supposed to help them find ways to come together with the game on the line? They found was to lose three of the last four weeks after being blown off the field in the opener, in part because the offense was too easy to defend without Brown.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    First qb, second qb, third an a practice squad rookie to boot. A TE hurt in all but one and a half of those games. His backup hurt and put on ir. Had to bring in a new te. Samuels hurt. 3 lbers hurt. A starting fs went to I'd after one game. A new one brought in after an udfa had to start. A wr that can't now catch the ball. A fb that has been hurt all year. Now another lb is hurt. A rookie having to start opposite our number one. Washington hurt. But yea it's because AB isn't here.

As for us not drafting mr.All pro, what makes you think he would help us here? As I told you before the Colts brought in a coach and a scheme that made him an all pro and their defense better. It has been functioning quite well without him too. Do you really believe everything you spew? :cool:

3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    It really goes both ways. AB and JuJu helped each other. When you have two good receivers along with a decent 3 and 4 it just opens everything up. The real problem for JuJu is he has no one else that scares or even concerns a defense. Couple that by week 5 he was on his 3rd QB of the season.

I've stated before Juju is somewhere in between a Wr 1 and Wr2 better than a 2 but not exactly a 1. But the kid really doesn't have much to work with. We don't exactly have a gifted mind at offensive coordinator either that knows how to scheme guys open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    OK - right at the moment, according to my fantasy app, Juju has 24 receptions for 333 yards and 2 TDs. 70% of his games have been played with either the #2 or #3 QB on his team, neither of whom have ever taken a snap before this season. The receivers around him are non-threatening at best, and the running game is basically nonexistent.

Odell Beckham Jr., who is pretty widely considered a definite, inarguable #1, has 23 receptions for 335 yards and 1 TD, playing with his #1 QB who set the rookie record for TDs last year. He also has Landry to take coverage away from him and a serious running game with Chubb.

The 2019 Steelers have a raft load of problems - but Juju is wayyyyyy down that list.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe it is better to have the All-Pro than the below-average starter. If you think otherwise, you really don't know much of anything about football. It's not as Leonard was in the NFL and not playing well without that coach. What we know is he played one full season in the league and earned All-Pro honors while Edmunds only started as a rookie due to injury and he has not played very well so far in his career.

Silly me, but I think the defense would have been better last year with an All-Pro inside linebacker rather than a below average safety. If the guy can play that well, he could have helped the Steelers, too. You can make all the excuses you want, but the results clearly favor my side of this argument. Bringing it up again won't make you any less wrong.

The offense was a disaster in the opener with a healthy Roethlisberger. Smith-Schuster was easy to take away without Brown on the other side. It's not as if his statistics have only declined a little. He is nowhere close to what he did last year. The loss of Brown is clearly hurting this team. It certainly isn't the only factor. The loss of Roethlisberger is a far bigger issue, but but only the ridiculously-stubborn would refuse to acknowledge that the receiving corps has turned from a strength into a weakness due to the loss of Brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep. He wasn’t happy helping the team so F him lol. I’ll bask in this crappy team lol

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If our number two would have caught passes it wouldn't be that cut and dry. We are to our sixth receiver, of course there will be a drop off. Again it doesn't mean it's all because of AB. Plus the fact that I and most everyone else said the ball needed spread around to be a success. Two are are not all that make up an offense or make it work. You are putting way too much on game one as well. They have always been pretty good at taking your best out of the game. We have been in every game this year except game one. One of these teams played Monday night and destroyed a Cleveland team with first rd. picks and stars all over it. A

The Colts shut down one of the best offenses in the league without mr. All pro. One guy does not define a team. Edmunds has been playing well since we got some players to help just like the colts. Many things play into success then one guy. AB or all pro. :cool:

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Because only you are capable of being right, right? How can you defend the value of people's opinions in one thread, and then tell people their opinions are wrong in so many others? Hypocrite much.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said it was all because of Brown. Once again, you're missing the point of the posts. I'm not sure why your statement that the ball needs to be spread around is relevant. That's your opinion. Well, they have plenty of opportunities to spread it around now because there is no true No. 1 receiver consistently getting open. You got what you wanted and it is a big factor in this team being 1-4.

I never said Leonard defined that team. I simply stuck to the facts. He is an All-Pro. Edmunds isn't even close to that level, but by all means, keep on making excuses for him. It's really all you've got in both discussions.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There's nothing hypocritical about it at all. What I said in defending people's opinions was that nobody's opinion should be dismissed just because they don't play the game. It is utterly ridiculous to claim that posters here can't question the decisions of the players. Hell, many of us have been watching football longer than Smith-Schuster has been alive. That doesn't mean what people post here is always going to be right. I'm not dismissing opinions of others based on what they do for a living as that other poster did (I honestly don't remember who it was.) I do point out when an opinion is clearly wrong.

To put it simply, it is wrong to say the posters here can't question the players and coaches because we aren't players and coaches. That doesn't mean we can't point out when someone here does have something wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Juju has the same average per catch this year as he has had in his career. What we don't have is a true number two helping him like AB had with juju helping him. Juju is also on pace to have about the same number of catches as AB per year the last 3 years. That with no clear number two and backup qbs. I wonder why that is. :hmm::cool:

12. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    The 3 fumbles need an asterisk

They will be at the absolute most inopportune time

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No, Watt’s on second.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    As opposed to an opportune time to fumble?

15. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Fumbles are never celebrated.

The problem is JuJu is a fumbler. He's also a playmaker.

When the game gets tight he's looked to for a crucial play. In other words he will get thrown the ball.

The other team is trying it's best to create a turnover..something.

Paul Harvey says... You know the rest of the story

16. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    He needs to address the fumble issue, yes. It's costing us, yes.

Other than that, the stat projection seems legit and fair: we're short on WRs, not clear role 1st/2nd WR (lack of #1WR), we're down to our 2nd/3rd QB, playing close games (not chasing by far our opponents in games -forcing long throws-, also have had a scheme full of short routes...)

If he can live with non-monster stats, that will be fine (if he, once again, corrects his fumble issue).

By the way, we're missing on this analysis an important stat projection:

End of season/in season dramas: 0

17. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    THIS. Could you imagine what Mr. Big Chest would be like if he were still on the team? He bitched about not getting his stats with Ben at QB - there wouldn't be a Gatorade cooler within 100 miles after a couple of games with MR and Duck.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He has had a few big plays, but he disappears for huge stretches of time. I'm not saying he is playing badly. I'm saying this idea that people had that he was going to easily step in as a No. 1 receiver on Brown's level were misguided at best.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's really hard to say because of everything going on with the offense. :cool: