1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Juju

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_d_curtain, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said it was all about Brown. It's not all one thing. It is the loss of Brown. It is the loss of Roethlisberger and the poor play by his replacements. It is poor coaching. The issue I have is you and many others refusing to acknowledge the first part of that.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This season? Absolutely, I think his loss hurt more this year than it would if Ben played.

My argument is and always has been that JuJu can step in and fill the number 1 roll. I’m not about to base it on this season though, that’s absurd.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He had a shot to be a No. 1 this season and failed. That doesn't mean he can't ever do it, but he couldn't handle it this year. That gets back to the idea that a No. 1 receiver can be productive even with lousy quarterbacks.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I know, we obviously don't agree. You going back 50 years and using a HOF WR to discredit JuJu is pretty ludicrous IMO. At least you used a guy who actually dominated with lesser quality QB's but even those guys weren't nearly as bad as what played for us this year.

I really don't care what other WR's did with other teams with other QB's in different situations. Passing judgment on JuJu based on this season is asinine. The QB's, the injuries, the game plans, the pass protection and yes, even the absence of AB, made success this season impossible.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Let's correct a couple of things. I didn't go back 50 years. Stallworth also wasn't the only example you were given on this thread. Please stop misrepresenting the other side of the argument. Also, I never said that this year decides the rest of Smith-Schuster's career.

At least you made some progress and acknowledged the importance of the loss of Brown, which was my argument all along.

When you claim you don't want to hear about what other wide receivers did with other quarterbacks, that tells me there is no set of circumstances under which you would admit to anything negative about Smith-Schuster. You just want to hear what you want to hear and anything else is asinine.

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The loss of Brown was down near the bottom of the list.

7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Pointless. He has some kind of ax to grind against Juju.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please provide evidence to support that accusation. May analysis of his play this season doesn't count. Here's a hint. It doesn't exist.

The only ax grinding at play here is those who refuse to admit how much the loss of Brown hurt this team because they hate him so much. I don't think much of Brown, either, but I don't let that cloud my judgement of his talent and what he contributed to the Steelers right up until Week 17 of 2018.

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Reasons for Juju’s bad season? It really was a perfect storm, AB leaves, Ben gets hurt and his replacements are inadequate, Conner gets hurt so no run game, juju gets hurt himself (I think he played much of the season injured). They were literally taking guys from other teams practice squads and putting them in the lineup throughout the season such was the calamity of injuries on that side of the ball. Take your pick as to why Jujus season went badly.

The whole offence misfired game after game, they were bottom of the league or close in virtually every measurable statistic. I don’t think we can put it down to any one thing. I think the entire offence will want to put 2019 behind them, Juju included.

FWIW I think he can get back on track in 2020 and perhaps 2019 will do him no harm. Nothing like criticism and adversity to get somebody motivated and focus the mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Oh geeze, are really you that literal? When I think of Stallworth I think of the 70's, big whoop.

Yes, and once again you must not be reading thoroughly enough through my responses because I just said at least you provided an example of a WR that actually dominated.

Where did I ever say you did? I said making a judgment of his play this season is asinine.

I've made a couple of admissions about Brown (which I never denied in the first place) but apparently you need people to tar and feather themselves to appease you. Board rules prevent be from telling you what to do with that.

I don't want to hear bogus arguments, you are right about that. And now who is misrepresenting, I've said that JuJu needs to clean up his drops and bad fumbles. Thats criticism, no?

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, what you said is that the drops and bad fumbles were already part of the package, refusing to acknowledge that the drops were worse this year.

What you don't want to hear is any argument that suggests Smith-Schuster's play was worse this season, even though it clearly was by any reasonable measure. My arguments are not only fair, they are supported by statistical evidence. Your latest argument was metaphorically sticking your fingers in your ears.

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    All these teams interested in AB should sign him to get the ball rolling, have him for next season. But they aren't. The big chest has schemed himself into a one year prove it deal most likely only after they see how he responds to his punishment.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Brown wouldn't had produced to the same level playing with the QB's that started this season.

The same way he didn't produce to the same level when Vick played. Go look at the statistical evidence. LMAO

It's not logical to judge Juju's or any players' play this season with the QBs the team had starting for the majority of the season. This ish isn't rocket science man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    He isn't worth the trouble.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Try again. Pg 2. See below.

What you don't want to hear is that I have said numerous times that his production was down, I've just been offering a defense of why. Don't know why this is so hard to follow. I think you are the one with fingers in your ears.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If only the Steeler WRs had as much in stake in proving who is right and wrong as the posters....could have been a different season lol..

I think we can all agree a new WR coach should be in the works...maybe the death of Mann had more of an impact on JuJu than initially realized, he seemed to be a wear his heart on a sleeve kinda guy. Hopefully a year to mature and JuJu will rebound....fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The WRs are young and will be fine. They have a lot of potential as a group. I don't think the team will give up on Mason. They also need a better back QB in case Ben can't rebound from his injury and Mason doesn't improve.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Cute, but inaccurate. I have been consistent in my point about Smith-Schuster all along. I am no longer arguing the point about letting Brown go. I made point of that change around the time the allegations of sexual misconduct came out.

Next time, contribute something of value rather than inaccurate silliness.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The quoted post says that the drops and fumbles were part of his game before without acknowledging the issue with drops got worse this year, as shown by his catch percentage going down even as his targets dropped dramatically.

I follow your excuse-making just fine, thank you.

21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    No point arguing about Brown. He went mental. There is nothing we could have done right. The proof is he went to other teams and he continued to find a way to not play football due to his mental illness.

It hurts us bad we have nobody to draw double coverage anymore, but there is nothing we could have done about it.

As far as Juju goes, I have to say he is not as good nor as durable as we could have hoped. We need to build a ball control offense, now that we have a defense. We don`t need to score a bunch of points to win. If our offense puts just 20 points a game on the board all on their own, that plus whatever the defense contributes, I bet we would win at least 12 games and be a serious contender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Wow... some of you guys are ridiculous... not just as fans but as people. I hope football is the only thing in your lives you act so entitled and ignorant about.

Don't smile when you are losing games? I remember seeing that although I don't recall how are season was going at that particular moment but who the hell are you to tell someone how to react to THEIR environment when you don't know the first thing about why he was smiling and what the hell is wrong with having a positive attitude even while losing?

And then this other guy acting like he is the grand arbiter of who is tough or not? He better toughen up before you make your decision? Are you delusional?!

Complaining about him being friends with Le'Veon Bell?! A guy he probably got close to playing on offense and might actual have developed a friendship that supersedes some fan's sensibilities about Le'Veon Bell's decision to sit out because our front office couldn't get a deal done with one of the best backs we have ever seen. Bell is a grown man and was free to play it how he wanted and seems to be paying for it now but if he had played who knows maybe he would have torn an ACL, and ruined his likely ONLY chance to make alot of money his WHOLE life. I bet he is kicking himself he didn't risk doing that and keeping some generic fan from calling him a traitor...

And then all you guys basically writing JuJu off when its just painfully obvious why his production has fallen off this year. We don't know all the variables that lead to it and can only speculate but you guys act like you have some supreme knowledge about why he didn't produce and of course its not the obvious things like injuries or bad QB play its got to be social media and Fortnite.

I don't frequent this forum like I used to when we all came over from the official Steelers Forum after it closed down but I don't remember SO many members being so un-apologetically entitled and out to lunch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Off topic and I have no dog in the fight about WR evaluation and can not defend his actions/allegations but I cant forget some of those catches AB made...from one of his first.... the big catch in his rookie year against Baltimore in the playoffs to the Chris Carter tightrope catches in support of a comeback to get us in FG range and move the chains.

He wasnt also afraid of going down the middle when he out muscled Weddle to cross the goal line or when Vontaze destroyed him.

There is a timing pass that BB and AB had that reminded me of the Aikman to Irvin on the deep out or Peyton to Harrison with that endzone fade...virtually impossible to defend with its timing and preciseness as many talking head analysts have stated.

Those were some good times.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Your consistent alright, have been consistently wrong about "losing Brown". I don't know how to quote your remarks about the Steelers & AB from another thread but your takes on the situation before the accusations are dead wrong. I'm referring to your posts in the AB thread in general discussion. Specifically page 44. Hawaii 5-0 posted an article on that page that sheds some light on ABs mind during that time.
    You did remit your stance after the accusations, I acknowledge that.

Here is why I disagree with some of what you post:

Not having a receiver that can draw attention like Brown & his production did hurt JuJu. Not having AB around the locker-room didn't. Your omitting "production" is misleading to me.

Losing his production did hurt the Steelers. Again losing Brown didn't imo.

I still stand by the loss of Brown didn't hurt the Steelers, it helped the Steelers. The loss of production at wr, hindsight with how Moncrief panned out, did hurt the Steelers.

So yeah, based on what you have posted it is vague at best.

angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

Your penchant for being right is showing in your posts. Your still arguing that Brown would be an asset to the team in your "i was right" way. No disrespect intended scribe, I usually like your take on what the Steelers need to improve & the players involved in doing it.

Edit: not taking into account the type of leadership that AB would have brought to the locker-room this year (moreso with no QB to get him the ball in hindsight) is the inaccurate silliness both before the accusations & now. Yes I know your not arguing that AB should have never been lost. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Clownish. You said I wasn't capable of admitting anything negative about JuJu. I criticized him myself.