1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu wants to play outside receiver this season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 12, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

In a zoom call with the media this week he said wants to play outside, and Ray Ray would take his spot in the slot :rolleyes:. JuJu is concerned about his stats for next season, and how it will affect his free agency in 2022, his yards per catch in 2020 was a little over 8 yards. Something to keep an eye on and see how this plays out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Did he really say he’s concerned about his stats, or are you speculating?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Sports is a business for players, coaches, and owners. Owners and coaches are just as concerned with performance and production by players.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is exactly why I wanted him to expand his route running the off-season before drafting DJ. They are so infatuated with the X receiver after getting lucky with AB and revolve the whole offense around it. I've been screaming for years James Washington would be better in the slot like a Larry Fitz or Hines Ward role. He's not beating anybody in the pros down the sidelines and he's too short to go up and make a play.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn’t say that. He’s actually put up some of his best numbers from the slot so it’s not that. JuJu will play anywhere, total team player, he just prefers the outside I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I’d like to see JW in that role I was happy enough for Juju to move on this offseason tbh, James did well there when Juju was in and out of the team in 2019. JW will probably move on next year in free agency without ever really getting a proper chance which is a pity. He is a very nice WR 3/4 in any case

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Exactly, that's why it was best they just let him go. Give others guy a look and see what we got. It's only the off-season and he's asking for a different role and talking about next years contract. This is going to end horribly. Steelers are prioritizing fan sentiment over Championships. It's become a complete clown show.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I was with you at first, but your point came off the rails pretty quick. JuJu is a media whore. He wants outside because it's sexier. I don't think he's trying to juggle the WR positions for stats. He is about his brand and being seen. And he's also a team guy...not in team success as much as team/family. I really think he wants all the receivers to eat. The more the passing game flourishes, the more his brand flourishes. He can video his WR brothers going off and glom off their successes as well as his own. I also think he has proven himself on the field. He takes hard hits, gives hard hits, and plays with joy and swagger. I don't care if he's in the slot or outside. He, Claypool, and DJ can all run routes over the middle, up the seam, and on the outside. He's a good WR and we're lucky to have him for Ben's last season. Because he did say he was going to kill Ben after this season is over...I mean, he said this would be Ben's last.

• Like Like x 3
  9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    He was asked about his biggest goal: "Playing more outside, simple as that, playing outside you add more to your craft. Look at my year two, probably my best year I've had, I played more outside than inside. I had another threat player on the other side. We have Ben and those type of players all around."

"Honestly, I haven't even had a conversation with Matt about playing outside, but then in practice and OTAs, he's put me outside and getting the ball, but it's not just me, it's all of us. It's Chase, Diontae, James, RayRay, everyone is going to get touches and moved around. This offense is going to open up a lot for us to make plays on balls down the field, I really believe in this offense."

"I want to be a security blanket when I'm on the field, I do play inside and I've got it down pat, but the person who could play behind me in that is RayRay McCloud. He's a guy you haven't seen him enough in the slot because he's explosive and in practice he makes plays. You'll see him play more in the slot this year."

"But as far as third down plays, I still don't mind playing the inside or outside. We have our formations set up where we move around whether I'm F, X, wherever I'm at, it would make it tough to tell if I'm the number three receiver as slot or playing outside. It all matters."

EDIT: looks like the Steelers block the embedded link. The question is asked at 2:00

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If he had a long term contract I doubt he would be talking about playing outside, he knows averaging 8 per reception last year hurt him in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He put up some of his best numbers from the slot, but he got no big free agent offers, outside receivers make the most money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I would say they are prioritizing Ben sentiment over championships but your point is still valid.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Most WR’s didn’t and his numbers were not great last year either. If he puts up big numbers, doesn’t matter if it’s the slot or outside, he’ll get paid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hope it isn't a problem. Ray Ray will barely see the field, so that isn't happening.

If the Steelers start out poorly and he's unhappy, he'd be the first guy I'd look to move before the trade deadline.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That would be the smart move but I can't remember the last time the Steelers moved a "disgruntled" player in the middle of the regular season. As long as they're on pace to that winning season, they wouldn't even consider it.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am assuming this is what he was told multiple times when he was unemployed looking for work. He failed miserably when he tried to move outside when Brown left. He can't beat the double team outside.

Right now he would be behind Johnson and Claypool for the true #1 Wr on this team.

This may give Washington some more time on the field if JuJu doesn't mind spending more time on the bench waiting inline to go in for Johnson and Claypool.

I for one am hoping to see more 2 TE and 2 RB sets with the QB under center this year.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    JuJu has played inside and out since he has gotten here so no, he hasn’t failed miserably on the outside. His numbers suffered everywhere when Ben was injured and last year he played a lot of snaps from the slot and was misused with a horrible aDot. That’s not his fault, thats scheme.

JuJu is Bens go to target, do you really think he will spend any significant time on the bench? Especially for Washington?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That depends on JuJu's new attitude about not playing the Slot.

Are you going to take Johnson or Claypool off the field so JuJu can play outside?

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No, but I honestly think DJ can play inside and get open just as easily as he gets open on the outside. He is quick and can run routes. His inconsistent hands have been the only problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He won’t play exclusively outside, JuJu and DJ can be moved around, probably even Claypool too but he is more your traditional X receiver.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    don't they already play outside? except for a couple of dome teams. :huh::cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    55CE8ED5-AA02-4A8C-A99E-27EEB09A67B6.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Is Juju in on 2 WR packages?