1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu Smith Ward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Jun 25, 2017.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Nice compilation of highlights from our second rd draft choice, the kid often seems to make something out of nothing, but take a look at about the 6:17 mark. That is a thing of beauty and reminiscent of another Steelers WR. Damn!

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That was a crushing block. Unfortunately it might be illegal in today's NFL.

3. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

That is a crying shame. I remember Hines breaking Keith River's jaw on a very similar block. Coincidentally, that may have been the play that instigated the rule change.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe we get his qb next year. :hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We can dream cant we:hehehe:

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he looks slow lol im fine with another hinesy poo though

7. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    4.5 for a big receiver is fast enough:

SB Nation:

Most of Smith-Schuster’s comparisons float between Detroit Lions’ wide receiver Anquan Boldin and former All-Pro Terrell Owens. Amongst the two, the competitiveness, physicality and YAC is the common theme.

The best comparison for Smith-Schuster of the current players in the NFL is that of All-Pro wide receiver Dez Bryant. Much like Bryant, Smith-Schuster is a strong, physical player who isn’t afraid of running routes across the middle of the field and thrive to make spectacular jump ball catches. They are both fluid athletes who have great body control to catch the ball at awkward angles in high points. Both are highly competitive leaders who leave everything on the field.

With the abundance of talent at the wide receiver position in this year’s draft, Smith-Schuster is most likely to be taken in the 2-3 rounds for a team looking for strong number two wide receiver along an established pro—or a potential top wide out for a young quarter back in need of a reliable target. At any rate, Smith-Schuster should hit the ground running and make an immediate impact in the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Jerry Rice looked pretty slow coming out of college too, and that turned out pretty well. :cool:
    Speed isn't everything.

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Unfortunately that would require a catastrophic season. A brownsesque type season. I don't know about you, but I can't handle one of those.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have to admit I wasn't the biggest proponent of a WR in the second but the more I see of JJSS the more impressed I am. What I like the mist is his skill set is different from any of the othe WRs we have. He comes back for the ball and he fights for it in the air. His physicality and toughness is a major plus for us...he reminds me of a more athletic Cotchery.
    Man....on paper we are stacked,barring injury both Haley and Ben better find a way to make this click....there are no more excuses for inconsistency....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    or a trade with a multi first rd. pick team. :shrug::smiley1::cool:

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That would be a steep price to pay.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    probably worth it for a 15 year franchise qb.:smiley1::cool:

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If he actually developed into a 15yr franchise qb. That's my issue with trading away multiple picks for one player. It's a huge gamble. If you gamble and lose it can set the franchise back years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

The Steelers have had pretty good results when picking in the first half of the first rd (Ben, Polamalu, Timmons, Shazier). If they were to deem a player worth the admittedly big risk then I'd be all for it. Living through years of qbs the likes of Bubby Brister and Kent Graham is not fun

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Those potential franchise quarterbacks have a fairly high failure rate. In keeping with your comment.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Kind of like saying $50MM is worth it for a guy selling you a winning lottery ticket the day before the numbers are drawn. :drinks:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

if we win the SB and ben decides to retire, i could get on board with the possibility of shopping bell for that draft pick. depends on conner this year. our first and bell could make that deal happen with someone. sure it would be nice to keep him but at what cost? with AB, bryant and juju i think bell could become far less of an asset being needed. do we just flounder with a second tier qb just to keep an aging rb? i'd think we would have to keep the options open while he still had some value. :shrug::cool:

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Has PWP hacked your account?

The problem with using Bell as capital is there are only two ways I see him leaving here: another substance violation, or contractual dispute. Neither of those would do much for a trade value.

That said, my powers of predicting things like this are so lame, the Browns once approached me to be their GM.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That's a pile of assumptions. Assuming we win the sb, Ben retires, Bell is signed long term...

Bell would have to be signed long term to have Any real trade value. If not then teams will just scoff and wait for him to hit free agency. Assuming that's the course the Steelers wanted to take it still doesn't make any sense because they would still be on the hook for any signing bonus money etc

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well yes it's all assumptions. ben retiring is not that far fetched. us winning the SB this year is set in stone right?:rawk: getting our next franchise qb won't be an easy proposition no matter how we slice it. do we go all out and make a play for a top guy or settle and hope? :smiley1::cool:

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I dunno. I don't think it's a "contract dispute" if our lack of cash and/or cap space (after signing AV and Tuitt) hinders our ability to come to BIG-$ terms with Bell.

23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    This is the pick I'm most excited to see play. He's a beast of a receiver I only hope we can keep him healthy. Even in college he played tough so he's prone to injury.

All, and Jerry Rice never looked slow they said he was slow but once he got a leg on a guy I never saw anyone catch him. There's football speed and then there's track speed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heck lynn swann wasn't a burner either. hines ward, louis lipps, AB. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    And none of them had 10 1/2 inch hands like juju to go along with his toughness....