1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu needs to step up

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 23, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If this team wants to start winning games, he needs to start playing like a #1 WR that he wants to be. They won the game against the Chargers without him contributing much, 1 catch for like 8 yards, that's not going to cut it going forward. It's also on Fichtner to call plays to get him going, the Miami game should be his chance to have a big game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Many have said JuJu isn't a true #1 WR...and so far JuJu has done little to disprove it.

I personally think we need a deepthreat WR and that JuJu is an excellent WR2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As Mason gains more experience and starts to play better with more consistency all the skill position players should benefit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The more I watch, the more I am sure that Smith-Schuster cannot be another Antonio Brown in terms of what he does on the field. I think his upside is more like a Hines Ward, and that is a fantastic player, but he's not quite where Ward was at his best yet. That's fine. He's only in his third season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Good comparison. JuJu is physical but lacks deep speed or quicks like an AB.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Juju is pretty fast. He's housed some catches I didn't think he would. He's not as elusive as AB and he can't run the whole route tree. He's still young and can work on route running.

7. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    When the qb spends a 1/4 of a second looking down field and dumps it off to a rb its not surprising.
    Stick 'em the $hit out of Moncrief's hands and Ju will come to life.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think JUJU is the least of our worries right now. Our whole offense is in disarray at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    As much as I personally hate Brown, his last several years with the Steelers were among the greatest in NFL history. It isn't fair to compare Juju to one of the top 5 receivers in league history. Like formerscribe said if Juju turns out to have a career like Hines Ward than that is pretty darn good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    F me with a telephone pole. I agree with Benny. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Like it or not I really do have to say that in part JuJu was the beneficiary of AB. Given that, it did take AB some time (several years) to become the force that he did become. JuJu definitely has a skill set. Now whether that is at a #1 or #2 only time will tell. He really does not have the supporting cast around him that AB did. I know that he came off of a banner year but honestly I believe that was in big part of defenses fearing AB. JuJu is going to have to find his way if he wants to become a true #1.

AB was a workaholic, I give him that. I respect that. Is JuJu willing to dedicate himself like that? That is what will get him to an elite status plus, once again other players that the defenses are going to fear and have to account for.

Let us now see if he remains that “Happy Go Lucky” guy that he was last year such as when he posed as an undercover reporter in Downtown Pittsburgh. It is when adversity strikes that one’s true character surfaces. He has to find his way and fight through this. I know losing Ben only makes it that much more difficult. However, adversity does not play favorites. I feel that JuJu has the tools and there is a bright road ahead of him if he wants to work for it. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    agree JuJu does need to step it up. But IMO for that to happen the other WR's need to step it up. Until another WR on this team makes defenses pay respect to them JuJu will easily get taken out of games. It's not fair to JuJu if he can't get any help from his teammates. It would also be a huge mistake to just force the ball to him. Defenses are daring us to beat them with our WR's and so far we have failed to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The opportunity to catch the ball is way down this year. Ben averaged 42 passes a game last season, Rudolph is only averaging 23 passes a game and Hodges only threw 20 passes in the win over the Chargers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    JUJU is not of Browns talent. I love JUJU though... fumbles or not. He has heart and is a great #2. We need to draft a receiver or trade 3 #1's for one lol

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    3 number 1s? There’s a myth that a long time ago you coulda got one for 3rd and a 5th...:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We can get that same guy for zero draft picks now. Maybe Tomlin can manage the drama for another year now that Ben the scapegoat is out for the season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    JuJu is irrelevant in opposing defense meetings

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe we can settle their feud by locking them in a room full of furniture for AB to throw and Ben gets to use his bionic elbow. They come out loving each other again...lol

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I love JuJu, and love that he's a Steeler, but the reason he was so good previously is because everyone was focused on AB, which opened up the field for JuJu to have more opportunities.

Now that JuJu has taken ABs place, he doesn't have the same opportunities without AB there to take attention from him. And there is currently nobody to be as good of a #2 as JuJu was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And TEs.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know how many times this can be stated but it will be again. Juju is the number 1 receiver due to the inexperience of the room and not based on ability. They have stupidly just had him assume Brown's role and routes when they are different players. Now they aren't doing anything scheme wise to free anyone up let alone Juju. They could be using bunch formation and drive two deep and let Juju break off and out towards the sideline. They could be setting picks and freeing guys up for easy completions. If you know they are going to put a safety over the top of Juju then take advantage of the manpower limitations elsewhere like stack the slot receiver next to the TE and have them cross and hit the open man. Sometimes this stuff seems more complicated than it needs to be but the key is putting in the prep work, not just doing what they do.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    JUJU will never be a #1 WR in the NFL period. He needs another receiver out there in order to be a truly great player. #1 WR's in the NFL don't need that type of support. I think he will have a great career but thinking he can be something he is not will only hamper his progress. It should be a priority of this organization to go out and get a true #1 WR so that he can elevate his game naturally.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The main issue is the inexperience and play at the QB position.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    ouch.png

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's the issue currently but in the game and a quarter that the franchise QB played in they gave every indication that the current game plan for Juju and the rest was the same as we are seeing. So while Hodges and MR might be inexperienced that is just part of the problem. If Landry Jones was in there we would still have the problem of misuse and poor scheme.