1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Dobbs - He's back!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    ]If Haskins is a "long term fix" for the Steelers then we are in very serious trouble.

I'll put it simply for many fans. The future QB for the Steelers is not yet on the roster and may not be until 2022. Rudolph may be the closest we have to a starter after Ben leaves but he hasn't really proven to be capable of carrying a team on his shoulders which NFL QB's have to do in order to win Championships. Rarely do teams carry QB's to the big game as opposed to QB's being a major factor in getting there. Especially multiple SB appearances. That future QB is not yet on the roster.[/QUOTE

My point is that they are giving him chance who knows how it's going to turn out, I don't see him making the roster this year because we not going to have four Qbs, so he is a long term project, I agree they will be drafting a QB not this year but most likely next,

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Awesome stats for someone who really did nothing.
    Come on every record in football will be broken in passing stats, because of the different rules.
    I'm an SEC fan my college team plays in the SEC , and though we aren't good loved 2 play Tennessee and Dobbs.
    I could give you almost 50 players , (really more than that), that broke records on their college team that were not as good as the players that they took them from....Why ......because rules change, playing style changes.
    So I say this nicely as possible. You know what you can do with the stats. IMO.
    Your truly Steelers Brethren .
    Signed STD.:smiley1:

3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    More simply, what they're doing right now with Haskins and Dobbs is putting as many balls in play as possible looking for a score (whether short or long term). Of course Haskins is a long-shot lottery ticket, but at the expense equivalent of a $2 scratch-off.

I find it a little hard to understand when people start projecting when the Steelers will 'draft Ben's replacement'. It's fine if you're just talking about when they might be investing a higher-round pick on the position, but there are just too many variables involved to call your shot with finding that next franchise-level QB (and with a number of positions as well, cueing up the whole player over position draft mantra).

Since 2000, the Browns have used 8 picks in the first three rounds on a QB (4/1/3, respectively); the Jets have used 5 (2/3/0), as have the Broncos (3/2/0) and Dolphins (2/3/0), and the Bills 4 (3/0/1). The Packers sit on the other side of the spectrum, having had Favre take over as the starter during the '92 season after acquiring him via trade, followed by a (relatively) seamless transition to Rodgers in '08 (pick 1.24 in 2005).

I hope we don't bear witness another drought akin to the years between Bradshaw and Ben, but there are a lot of Bubbys out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve gone back and forth whether I think the Steelers will take one this draft and think ultimately it just comes down to the board but I think they are definitely willing to grab one.

All I heard leading up to this draft season was how bad the QB’s are, after scouting them, I don’t agree. Whether any of the big ones fall in the first remains to be seen but I think there are a couple that they could take after the first, too.

5. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    if they draft a Qb this year, Haskins is done (at least with the Steelers maybe another team will take a chance on him), Jamarcus Russell light

• Like Like x 1
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Haskins has thrown 100 more passes and started more games than Rudolph and Dobbs combined. Maybe Haskins can mentor them.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I honestly have not seen enough of Haskins to form an opinion about him. He played for a **** show of a team in Washington, so for me the verdict is out. I think his release was more about his action off the field during COVID and the coach who had a underlying health condition. Haskins screwed up there with possibly exposing the coach to a life threatening situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Now that would put us no adjustment Blamers' nose in the corner hahahahahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  9. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Steelers will at worst be a 500 team next year so I disagree with your assessment they will be picking 1st.

I also disagree with your assessment of Tomlin and Colbert.

This wasn't the year to pick a QB. Players like Trask are not going to be an upgrade over Mason Rudolph. I also don't agree of picking up Najee Harris with the 1st pick.

The more I look at thus draft, the more I want the Steelers to trade down if one of the top OTs is not there that they want.

Pick up Humphries at Center and the next best Tackle.

Without helping out the offensive line, this team will end up last in rushing again despite who is running the ball behind the line.

How good did Leveon do with the Jets? There are many other examples.

They can pick a rb with the 3rd pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well you have a point to some extant.

One thing to think about is there is not a sufficient body of evidence to suggest Mason would get some huge contract elsewhere. This year is still pending, but assuming much of the same results and with him being in this system, I do believe there could be a 1 or 2 year deal with starter money being offered by the Steelers when he hits the market.

I do believe he would take it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    No assuming Ben retires and given the current state of desperation of the team at the position, I do believe they would give him a decent starter pay offer which is probably mid-tier and more than he's be offered by other teams.

I don't believe he'd be offered a huge multi-year deal unless he plays a lot this season and blows it out of the park.

I do agree with some on here that Mason kind has been given the shaft to some extant. He really hasn't been offered a big opportunity to show what he can do in a starter role practicing with the first team.

I was one willing to run with him with intent of drafting a qb earlier but ok with bringing Ben back another year at a reduced cost.

It will be interesting to see Dobbs in Canada's offense since he is the most mobile QB on the roster by far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Everybody, and their Grandmothers go 2 who cares Bowl games. I don't know if you watch the SEC, but the people I know that do , do not care about Bowl games anymore, unless they are in the Championship playoff.
    Ok. He was an Awesome college Qb. Happy. I now kneel down 2 his excellency. Thanks for showing me the way.
    In all reality. You're a Steelers fan , and I'm a Steelers fan . So I don't want 2 argue about IMO a Ho, Hum run of the mill Qb. Unless you would like.:shrug:

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They won't trade out of the 1st round. I don't ever remember a time they did.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I never said they would I said I would hope that they would given certain circumstances.

Ultimately I want them to pick up Tevin Jenkins with #1 but I'm not so sure he'll be available.

I think many other players are reaches. I think they need to pick up one of the top centers coming out this year also

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Tee Martin lead the Vols to a national championship, something Peyton failed to do. Perhaps we should have drafted Tee, oh wait we did...but of course he did not lead us to a SB because we did not give him a chance!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, trading down is of course an option, but at 24 you do not have many trade partners to stay in the 1st. I also have no idea what value you can get trading down a few spots in the 1st. will get you. If they could snag a 3rd, or a high 4th then it might be worth it, but keeping that 5th year option has been very productive for the Steelers in recent years.

18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I doubt seriously the team would keep 4 Qb's, so in theory I believe you are correct. To me re-signing Dobbs is not any conclusion in Haskins (yet), just reality that they do not know how he will respond. The talent is there, but still so many red flags on character, work ethic, and and even on field decisions that he was put in at Washington far before he was ready. If he comes into camp humbled, goes to work and shows promise then the cost to develop is minimal. If he comes with an attitude, then they know what they have in Dobbs, not much but still someone who is not going to cause problems and can be a stopgap if they have a QB situation like they had in 2019.

If they draft someone like Davis Mills or Mond high, then I agree both Haskins and Dobbs are likely toast, but I don't think that's on the draft radar with as many needs as the team has. As always the draft board will determine where they go, but other positional needs are there as well. And to counter my first sentence, if they do take someone like Mills or Monds and Haskins actually balls out in preseason, I can see them keeping 4 QB's (very low %) as 2021 they actually have no QB under contract (Ben the exception, who likely will retire).

19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not believe it would even take starter money, some of the deals former starters have gotten in recent years (going to places to compete and/or back up) suggest a moderate deal (perhaps with incentives). Putting the cart before the horse, but likely a 7 to 10 million range. Which would make a lot of fans gag, but in a transition it would be understandable for the team go with who they have developed while scoping the land for better options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t believe they will keep Mason, I think they will move on from him like they did Landry with a cheaper option behind him that offers about the same level of play.

If they decide to retain him, it won’t be for very much $, he’s a back up with a pedestrian starting resume in the opportunities he’s gotten.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I can see it going either way. In retrospect if an established Vet came on the market for the same money (someone like Fitzsmagic, etc), I could see them going that route to fill in and help bring a rookie along. Problem is, drafting at 32 next year there wont be any QB's available to draft. :)

• Like Like x 2
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

According to the Jimmy Johnson Trade Value Chart - not gospel, I suppose, but a reasonable estimate of value -- If you trade the 24th Pick in ROund 1 for the 30th in Round 1, it's worth the equivalent of the 31st pick in Round 3. If you trade the 24th pick for a mid 2nd round pick (say the 16th), it would fetch the 26th pick in Round 2. Since it's highly unlikley that the trade partner would have the equivalent value pick, so instead of a late 3rd rounder, you might end up with some combination of 4th and 5 th rounder and picks in 2022. Maybe its worth it, maybe its not. FWIW.

23. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    No need to argue, my point is that he is not a bad third string qb, that's it... also agree college football has changed esp. W bowl games and national championship, after living in Austin, I am a Texas guy not SEC, so you probably know better, again Dobbs is not a bad 3rd string qb

• Like Like x 1
  24. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I agree with your points, but you really missed the intent of my post. It was tongue-in-cheek. I rarely ever use green font because it hardly ever necessary. If people would just read context, they would know what is facetious. I put three exclamation points after stating we'd get the first pick. That should be enough to tell you that I'm shooting from the hip. The rest of my post was a quote that I said I overheard in a conversation between Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin. No one here should even remotely believe that I overheard a conversation between them. So it was all made up and me just making a dumb point about Rooney finding a way to get rid of Tomlin.

But again, everything you said, other than our record and disagreeing with me about Tomlin and Colbert, I agree with.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, the stock swing on this class seems to have been reflected in mocks the past couple of weeks as well. Interested to hear your take on Trask - you were high on him in a recent post and I haven't had much time to review anybody lately.