1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jordan Berry

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Nov 2, 2020.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Was again inconsistent. the last one did help.
    it's more of the same from him.
    have to go into 2021 draft with a punter in mind.
    need to be consistently be over 45yrds per punt.

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thought he was better than Colquitt, the 39 yarder wasn't special, but last one was good, and he but one inside the 10 via a fair catch I believe.

He will have the rest of the year to prove himself, or yes Steelers will have to find a new one next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    He wasn't inconsistent yesterday day. He had one bad kick and the rest were good, especially the most important one in the end.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is going to get more difficult to kick as the season wears on. Inclement Weather is headed the Steelers way within the coming weeks. November and December weather is more often than not an ordeal for many NFL Punters; Berry or otherwise.

That said, him getting better will be critical for Pittsburgh's playoff push. Should he improve even a little bit week by week, that will benefit greatly in the long term. Field position in the NFL Playoffs is essential into cashing in points.

• Like Like x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We still have to get a bonefide kicker. I thought he got out kicked two training camps ago​

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Say what? Boz is lights out.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You mean punter? Boz is the hottest kicker in the league right now.....I think.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Draft a punter??? :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What if he turned out to be a Shane lechler

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That last punt, Colquitt couldn't kick it that far. So that right there helped in the win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Or a Ray Guy? I wonder if Guy has any grandkids...........

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe Finkle or Einhorn?

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I actually thought Berry was above average Sunday, aside from one very mediocre punt. I see the potential with him, but he does have consistency issue. However, the Steelers made the right decision in cutting Colquitt and bringing back Berry. I'd rather have the guy that can potentially kick 45 plus opposed to the guy that struggles to kick 40 yarders. With sketchy weather on the horizon, they can't afford giving the opposition free yardage.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Einhorn.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There’s also Corliss Waitman on the PS, so.... ‍♂️

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If they had any confidence in him don't ya think they would have tried him before re-signing Berry? The Titans are bringing in 4 punters this week (including Colquitt), if this kid had any reputation would he not be at least be looked at by other teams? I have no idea if other teams have a P on the PS, even with it being expanded, seems pretty silly...except in your P get the virus you have some readily available and not have to go though extended protocol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Actually heard quite a few teams have done this with the expanded practice squads...And for the very reasons you have stated...Instead of potentially scrambling to get a kicker/punter on very short notice

18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Berry's career average is 44.2, his net is what is suspect at 40.2. This year there are 20 punters with averages over 45, but just 2 with nets over 45..several over 44. In the few punts he has had this year his age is 44.1 and net 41.6. My point is I think his potential has been reached...he is bottom 1/3 in the league and his average is consistent with his lifetime stats. You will get the occasional long ball, shanks, he is what he is.

19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It makes sense, if someone tested positive late in the week, or even game day you would have that guy available. The first reference might not even be his punting much different that Berry, but Boz is in terrific form, so holding has to be put in the equation. As it is players are not getting much practice time. I have no idea how this affects f/g practice, but everything being as unstable as it is, familiarity and confidence in holder might just be worth those few yards in you miss in punt average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Sine I was bored and looked at the stats, yes drafting a punter may be something to look at. If you look at the stats, to get a top 10 punter you either spend on F/a, draft one who was consistent in college, or hope you find one as an undrafted FA. I am not suggesting you grab someone with a high pick (unless the talent someone rare like Guy), but there seems to be about 10-15 punters in the league who are on a tier, some others below that (Berryesque), them quite a fall off. Depends on the priority of course, but its clear that there are not as many good punters out there as one might assume.

21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Chill. I was just pointing out that there is a young punter on the roster, that is being developed and may be a player they like.... Enough to keep around, at least.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    We'll just have to disagree then. Total waste of a pick, any pick, as far as I'm concerned. This team is not 7-0 because of or despite of the punting. Berry is capable and has the physical skills. But maybe his problem is between his ears.

23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Most of the punters ahead of Berry get a punt blocked at some point during a season.
    Is an extra net yard or two on average worth that?

I don't have any stats about time from snap-to-punt.
    I'd be curious if Berry is faster or the same compared to other punters.

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes ... but Berry has been booming them today

25. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Yeah.. Berry was averaging high 50’s today. Hope he can keep the groove in cold weather.