1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonathan Stewart could be on Steelers radar

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Mar 21, 2012.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How about Jonathan Stewart? It is being said that since the Panthers sign Mike Tolbert, Stewart might be on his way out. It is the last year on his rookie contract and Tolbert and Stewart serve the same prpose. Tolbert caught 54 passes for Carolina last year and Stewart caught 47 passes for Carolina last year. In the article they are saying that Stewart could be had for a 4th round pick to a seventh round pick.

Here is another opportunity for the Steelers to obtain a great RB for just a little bit of cash. Stewart is only 24 years old. The Steelers could sign this guy for 6 years and trade Mendenhall when he is ready.

I like the sound of Redman, Stewart, Batch, Dwyer, and Clay. Its time to move on from Mendenhall and sign a great RB for the future. Sounds like a pretty solid group!!!!!!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/st ... ert-chase/

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    i'd rather have michael bush..........

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Stewart would be a great pickup! I also think Michael Bush would be a great pickup. Dang you choices!

4. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That might happen anyway. I read somewhere that the Steelers will likely open the season with Mendy on the Physically unable to perform list and if he's out for most if not all of the season next year I think his chances of playing again for the Steelers are very limited, especially if Redman delivers a solid performance as the starter.

5. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope dude is always hurt.

6. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I liked Stewart coming out of college and was hoping we'd take a look at him, but sixpack is right, he seems to be injured often. Wasn't he suffering from turf toe during the draft even?

Anyways, i'd be interested in taking a look at him if he's available, no doubt. The guy runs hard.

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd love it, but don't see it happening.

8. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A #4 for Stewart could be a steal.
    I'd happily give up a 4 for him, less than a 4 would be robbery, for a known commodity . He just turned 25 today (21st), and according to the NFL's site, he has missed just 2 full games in his career.

His receptions last year, 47, were far and away his most, but it shows he is capable.
    As things stand now, he would easily be our #2 RB, maybe best(not counting Rashard).
    (please, please, please improve the O-Line, while we're at it)

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ok, I'll admit I like the potential that Stewart brings, but really - we are stacked at RB at the moment with young players who all have the potential to do the things that Stewart is offering. No way I give up a draft pick for him. If he was released and we picked him up, maybe.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    stewart has the same problem of mendy , he is a free agent next season and want to get paid , probably even more than mendy , i would wait the second wave of free agents to see if there is a cheaper one that could be interesting

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would take Stewart for a 4th if we can sign him to an extension

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes but at what price ? i would invest the few money we have for wr and ol before a rb . stewart could ask 4/5 milion a year

13. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    I would take him for a 4th.

14. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Tebow deal has sort of set the market. I think he will end up going for maybe a 6th round pick. Might need a 5th if you can get a 7th back.

Personally, I love Stewart. He is a heck of a runner. He has an injury history and if he wants to get paid, it will drive his price down.

15. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  16. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    STACKED?

[​IMG]

While I'm of the belief that good RB's can be found in the later rounds, to say we're stacked is a little much for me. Clay and Dwyer have looked alright but we're far from stacked. I think round 2-3 is good range for a RB because elite ones can be found there fairly often. Plus with Redman, Dwyer, and Clay we need someone that is a home run threat.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    m.bush signed for the bears for 4 years 14 milion (7 guar), this could set the market for mendy and stewart (4 milion a year )

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Alright, maybe stacked was a little exaggerating. My point was more, we have a number of players in the Stewart mold, and a lot of what's being said about Stewart is based on his potential to succeed rather than a proven success. So before I give up any draft picks for him, I'm having a long look at who we've got already. Especially given the cap situation.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    a guy we could bring in camp could be justin forsett (seattle)

20. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    RB is not a huge need yet. We still have Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch, Spann. I here great stuff about Batch from his camp last year. If Dwyer took a page from Redmans work ethic both , he could emerge. I also think Spann could open some eyes. Clay is a big back and he now has seen how things work in the Burgh as well.