1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Montana wanted to be a Steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lolololololol...Stop Dude...You want me to count the years Rivers sat the bench as , Having Tomlinson most of his career years! RIVERS didn't play!...I'M WEAK... You're funny af

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it very much matters. That gap of 10 years between Montana's last season and Roethlisberger's first shows that there is no reason to believe that Montana ending his career with the Steelers would have caused the team not to draft Roethlisberger.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How would he do that? It was Rooney who overrode Cowher as you pointed out. The Chin could have spewed spittle all over Rooney in protest as much as he wanted, he doesn’t cut the checks.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ignore Dan Rooney's order and proceed to draft that Offensive Guard anyways. I am not entirely sure what the ramifications of doing that would have been though had Cowher elected to go that route. Could he have been the first coach in Steelers History since the AFL NFL Merger to be fired?! It is possible but it can also be unlikely.

Either way, personally I am happy that Cowher did not do so in the end. We got a Hall of Fame QB out of that draft; the best of the three overall. That said, let us hope his elbow is healing up well.

As Gerry Dulac pointed out to a reader regarding Ben's situation vs. Terry's, Terry rushed himself back onto the field. I have not heard of anything related to Big Ben. For that matter, I hope I hear nothing until the next major announcement by Art Rooney II in which he could give us good news.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be quite the scene considering Rooney is in the War Room with them.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This we can oh most definitely agree on!! :this!:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What would Montana having played for the Steelers in 1993 and 1994 have to do with the 2004 draft?

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think if anything it may have showed Cowher that QB was a more important position than he sometimes seemed to credit it.

That would perhaps suggest taking a QB high in the next draft, but in fact we picked Kordell in the second round. The only other QB in our reach in the first round would be Todd Collins. The year later there are practically no decent QBs to take. History probably plays out in the same way.

The other alternative is Montana is brought in, re-aggravates his old injuries and does nothing, prompting Cowher to never want to pay a QB again... doubt that would last for 10 years though.

So in short... there’s no connection (sorry AQL)

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I guess you could make a butterfly effect argument, that even a small event can cause ripples over time that lead to an effect we can't predict, but that is a heck of a stretch. In truth, they two events really aren't connected.