1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If you watched it you will remember the reference. "Roll down the window, put out your arm, extend your middle finger." Naked Gun

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is the problem with your premise. You are offering up Allen and Jackson as the same type of quarterback. They aren't. Allen is a fantastic pocket passer who can also run. Jackson is a runner who is, at best, an average pocket passer. I would take a guy like Allen in a heartbeat. If the Steelers had to settle for a guy like Jackson, it is better than Rudolph, but far from ideal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres nothing wrong with my premise, Allen is a running QB, it’s a big part of his game that defenses must account for.

That he is a bette passer than Jackson doesn’t change that.

There are only 3 in the league. Jackson, Allen and Murray. Murray is used to a lesser extent then the other two but he certainly falls under that category.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hurts had the most rushes by a QB in 2021. He also had the most rushing yards and 10 rushing TDs vs. Jackson’s 2. Cam Newton had 7 rushes per game in his limited stint in Carolina.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, Hurst is definitely a running QB, forgot about him.

Fields is another one. Who else is there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not ready to say that Fields is a just a running QB. He is used as a runner, but he was a damn good passer in college (most of the time anyway). I still have memories of him annihilating a solid Clemson defense with his passing. The season before that he has 41 TDs and 3 interceptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The flaw in your premise is that it fails to acknowledge the fact that Jackson is limited as a passer and Allen is not.

Allen is a great passer who can run. Jackson is a great runner, but mediocre passer at best. His limitations have been exposed quite a few times already. Allen really doesn't have limitations.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know why you keep trying to apply an argument to me that I am not making.

Let’s simplify this, is Allen a running QB or isn’t he? The answer is of course, yes.

I’ve never compared their abilities to pass the ball. It’s kind of a no duh statement to point out Allen is better in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys are trying to put your own spin on running QB’s.

A running QB is a guy that accounts for a lot of yards on the ground regardless of his passing abilities.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Lumping them together makes no sense to me. They play very different styles. Also, it seems kind of silly not to compare the ability to pass the ball when talking about two quarterbacks.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In terms of available veterans, who is actually a running quarterback? Trubisky and Mariota?

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The problem is that your definition would change whether a QB is considered to be a running QB or not based on the offense in which he currently operates. By your definition Justin Herbert could get a new OC that calls designed QB runs all day, and he would become a running QB. Then in 2 years another OC could come in and dial him back to his current 2 runs per game, and he would no longer be a running QB. Herbert’s ability wouldn’t change, but you would choose whether or not to label him as a running QB based on his OC’s system.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would say Hurts,and Cam(if He comes back) are more a running Qb than Murray. Again if they design plays for You 2 run on a regular. IMO.