1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2022.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If all it takes to get Jimmy G here is a 4th and a conditional pick in 23', then I say go for it.

I would rather go all in for Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. Jimmy G is not at the level of those guys, but he is way better than people on here are giving him credit for. Certainly better than the Mariotta's and Trubisky's of the world.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You would still have 2 pay His salary. Plus He would probably want another deal. You must take that all into account with the picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ah, the mysterious and undefined conditional pick

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Anyone who is actually worth something is going to want paid. Same goes for Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson.

I have faith that the Steelers will be able to get a deal together that fits both where the Steelers are as a franchise, and where Jimmy G is as a player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I think someone said earlier it could be as high as a second.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I get that, but doesn't He have a pretty big pay day still this year???

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a 1976 Merriam-Webster dictionary. I looked up “game manager” and there was a picture of Jimmy G., and he wasn’t even born until 13 years later!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still don't see Jimmy G going anywhere. The 49ers still need a starting QB if Lance is a dud.

The 49eras completely reached in the 1st round last year trading 3 first round picks for combine darling Trey Lance; who played at a 2nd division School in North Dakota State where he failed to even complete more than 50% of his passes his final year there.

Lance is a case where the media and the combine caused people to lose their mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok… his final year consisted of 1 game. Their 2020 season was canceled other than that 1 game. In his final full season, he completed 67% of his passes with 28 TDs and 0 interceptions (an NCAA record for pass attempts w/o an interception). He also added 1,100 yards and 14 rushing TDs. Time will tell if he was over drafted, but let’s not be silly about presenting certain stats as evidence.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There has been rumors that players on the team don't think He's the Guy. IMO it's kind of telling when a team pushes a Qb that is still injured 2 play over a Guy they gave so much up for. JMO, but it reminds Me of what's going on in Green Bay.
    Couldn't wait 2 get this new breed of QB(J.Love)...moved up 2 take him, and now will give away their franchise 2 keep what they have....because I believe they think they made a mistake. :shrug:
    I could be wrong, but that's how it seems.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Jordan Love is a bust calling it right now

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But...but...He has a rocket arm,and can run fast.
    LoL.
    I can't say for sure, but I don't see them catering 2 Rodgers every whim if He was good.
    So You are probably correct. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

:blink: Jimmy G has 192 career yards, how is he a fit for RPO?

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, I've said I'd take JG for the right [minor] return but with Canada staying I don't see a good fit. That's what started me on the Trub train many months ago. And, yes, he may suck, I'm just not sure we know that for sure.

15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'll take Jummy G IF the 49ers eat 75% of his salary and sends us a 1st for the conditional 4th round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Jimmy G, can't stay healthy. Last year was probably his best at staying healthy and he's still have off season surgery on his shoulder.

A guy who isn't durable behind an unstable line, just isn't the cards.

But, we can have two Abercrombie and Fitch models at the QB spot. Jimmy G and Rudolph....

• Like Like x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I’m missing something.
    Even if the 49ers wanted to get rid of JG, they’d only have a $1.4M dead money hit if he is cut before June 1st. (The salary isn’t guaranteed until that date, according to OverTheCap.)

If that kind of trade happened, JG could be cut by the Steelers (no dead money), and they’d get a 1st round pick while giving up a late 4th. What kind of deal is that?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    RPOs do not necessarily require the QB to run. The RPO is usually a quick read by the QB of how a particular defender reacts at the snap of the ball, and the QB will either hand off or throw. An example of common read is reading a linebacker, and the QB hands off if the LB moves to defend the slant, or fakes the handoff and throws the slant of the LB bites on the handoff move.

We led the NFL in RPO pass attempts further than 3 yards downfield last year, and none of those involved Ben as the potential runner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You. I didn't want 2 type this all out.:thumbs_up:

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's that other RPO where the back runs, the QB passes and they have the option to run or pass.

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you familiar with NDSU? They are the FCS equivalent of Wisconsin. They run the football...a lot. The QB'S run, the backs run, the receivers run. For practice they let the mutant sheep loose from the lab/barn and chase them.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Right but does anyone think that is what Canada will run with all the QB mobility talk coming out of Steelers camp? He ran that with Ben because he had to. Jimmy is as immobile as Ben. I don’t think that’s what they are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sadly I think You are correct. I'm still hoping it's a smokescreen. :beg:

24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Completely facetious take by me. He's barely better than what we already have and costs far too much cap space. Mitch is bout the same player at 1/4 the cost and you don't have to give up draft capital

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d like to see something akin to the Bills offense. Just because I am defending Jackson doesn’t mean I necessarily want to see Willis (or whoever) run for a 1,000 yards.

I also like the use of the Bills deep crossing routes, I think our receivers would do well with that. We have a better RB and could hurt teams that way as well whereas the Bills really don’t do much with their RB’s.

• Agree Agree x 1