1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So the question is this. Let's say the Steelers don't take a QB in round 1 and go the route of building the lines. Without giving up a 1st or two for one of the top guys, would a 5th round pick for a guy like Jimmy G be worth it for a year? He's a definite upgrade over Rudolph and Haskins. The Steelers were a 9 win team and should improve in multiple positions next year. Jimmy G, regardless of peoples observations in the playoffs, has won 2 x Super Bowls as Brady's backup, been to another Super Bowl, and helped get to another NFC Championship game taking the Rams to the wire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    The real question is how much are you willing to pay him.

He's going to get a lot of money for a QB that can't be trusted in high leverage situations.

I'd rather see what Mariota can do here.

4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Would Jimmy G continue his current level of production if you move him from Kyle Shannahan's offense to Matt Canada's?

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No, almost certainly not, no Kittle, no Samuel, no Trent Williams. Regardless of scheme that kind of help for a QB is huge. 49ers run a YAC offence and Pittsburgh doesn’t have anybody close to those guys. They don’t ask much of Jimmy G

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think I heard he was having thumb surgery, I would say "ok" if the deal was favorable (we dont give up a lot of draft capital) and we have enough money to sign players. We have needs this off season, if we cant fix ILB, OL and DL, than NO on Garroppolo, I want the draft to be out of the way: did we do enough to address the needs we have - if I am feeling ok about that than maybe a late play for Garroppolo by June or something

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The team that trades for him would probably rework his contract.

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Why would they though? He is not a $25m QB, unless he would accept a substantial net pay cut nobody is trading for that contract IMO

You could get Mariota, Trubisky or Dalton for probably $5m without trading anything away. Jimmy G is not that far ahead of those guys IMO. The system and weapons in SF are making him look better than he is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I would go with the QBS on our roster, before i traded for Mariota, Trubisky , or Dalton,

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jimmy G has done more in the playoffs than any of those guys, the team trading for him would rework his contract so they won't have to pay him 25 million for one year.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would bring Mariota in to see what he can do, he does have good mobility, and he wouldn't cost that much.

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Jimmy G hardly threw the ball during their 2019 playoff run, they ran their way to that Superbowl and any decent QB would have gotten them there with that ferocious defence that they had. Shanahan clearly doesn’t trust him and they are moving on to Lance for good reason. It’s all running the ball and short throws to YAC monsters Deebo and Kittle because that is all he can do reliably. Jimmy G doesn’t throw the ball down the field

Reworking his deal just means extending him and pushing the money in to future years, you are still paying him $25m, just spreading it out. It makes no sense to me given where the Steelers are right now.

Don’t get me wrong he is a decent QB that would probably do a decent job for the Steelers but no way do I want him taking up that much of the cap when there are other much cheaper options that can give you nearly the same performance without giving up a draft pick

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree. I'd rather they take a chance on a younger guy looking for a second chance like Trubisky, who will be 28 in August. I like Jimmy G., but he's as good as he's going to get. With Trubisky or Drew Locke, they might get lucky. And if they can't beat out Rudolph in camp, then you at least have a back-up with NFL experience. Then you try and get the future QB in the '23 draft.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Then why is his team trying to get rid of him? Just wondering how that is good for us. But what the hell, sign him, sign everyone. JMO>

15. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The names being thrown out there . . . Trubisky, Dalton, Mariotta. . . SMH.

16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Call it what you want, but that is just what may happen, like it or not. JMO>

17. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    He's so valuable that his team is trying to find someone to take him off their hands? Why would they do that if he was so much the reason for the teams success? Or am I missing something?

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    His performance against the Rams is the reason they drafted Trey Lance in the first place..... He can't handle pressure, and behind our current o-line, he'll be harassed early and often

21. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I think the more likely thing is Mike brings Jimmy G in here. The Steelers are the favored destination for him in Vegas.and they probably draft one as well.

22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Jimmy G kind of came up short for me.
    I like the kid and he is a real class guy that seems to have that gift of rallying the team around him.
    But as we saw, he doesn't do well with pressure.
    Pittsburgh could upgrade the line, and probably get some mileage out of him.
    But the $64 question is: Does he fit? I'm not sure he does.

Jimmy has 1 year left with $26.9 mil, so you're going to inherit that.
    Of course, any team making a trade for him, is going to negotiate a new deal.
    Or they can play the dare game, waiting for SF to release him.

Kyle Shanahan is a very good offensive mind in the game and his OC usually have good game plans.
    Jimmy also had some weapons in SF that he should have taken advantage of.
    I would add also, the run game wasn't great though Deebo is an animal, but he should not be the run games feature back.

Jimmy has very good arm strength and can make any kind of throw but in the Championship (and in GB) we saw him consistently sail balls.
    That's usually a sign of bad mechanics. (bad habits)

Contractually, one could probably negotiate a cap friendly deal and one that doesn't hurt so bad if you release him.
    I think he's lost value as a starter.
    So re: Pittsburgh, he could be a fill in for a year or two. But I would think coaching really needs to keep him in check.
    How do you win with a guy like that?
    Play solid defense, run the ball well, then throw when you have to.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Slightly less valuable than a roast beef sandwich

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Mmmmm... roast beef!

25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Haskins... I really hope no one is placing their hopes on him.
    When he stepped on the practice field at Ashburn;
    - He has solid frame - 6'3" ~230
    - He has a very good arm; he can launch it pretty much the distance.

Not much work ethic.
    Not much leadership skills.
    Doesn't own the playbook.
    Doesn't seem to learn from mistakes.
    Lack of focus.

I didn't really see any changes here in Pittsburgh.
    Has he matured since?
    I would welcome the surprise, but I am skeptical.

• Agree Agree x 2