1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy G now highest paid player in the NFL

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by shaner82, Feb 8, 2018.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn, 5 straight wins to close out a season really matters.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope he turns into the next..........Eli Manning. Don't want him to be too good, just enough to rub it in the Pats faces!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He deserves it. I wish him all the best.

If anything, looks to me like an indirect double finger salute to New England on behalf of Jimmy G. He helped them string multiple wins to close out the season.

Both Brady and Kraft received their comeuppence by getting what they wanted. Let this be a lesson to Kraft especially.

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ironically if the Pats didn't trade him he wouldn't be in a position to make that kind of money.

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I hope he turns into the next......Brock Osweiler.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Jimmy G won't turn out to be Matt Flynn but I can' help but feeling 30 million is pretty rich.

I remember watching him at the East West Shrine game and comparing him to Tony Romo.

I think Jimmy G will be a fine QB in the NFL, maybe even an All Star. I'm just not sure he should be the highest paid QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Meh ,another Matt Cassel ...ex patriots players get way too much attention and credit .

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Very unlikely.

Matt Cassel had far more issues than Jimmy G does. Cassel's release turned out to be his undoing; antipodean of Jimmys.

Jimmy's release and mechanics far exceed Matt's. His release is on par with Aaron Rodgers and his idol in Tom Brady. For a further analysis, Brett Kollman explains below;

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's only temporary ahead of the next batch of QBs who will set the bar even higher:

The salary bar keeps inching higher for NFL quarterbacks. It happened in June with Derek Carr. It happened in August with Matthew Stafford. And it happened again Thursday with Jimmy Garoppolo.

It remains very good news for those who are next in line, a group that includes Kirk Cousins, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and, especially, Aaron Rodgers.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's going to be a good QB, pretty easy to see when you watch him play.

The time that Belichick needed to be most cut throat, he balked. Or maybe Kraft wouldn't let him. Probably the later after watching hoodie bench Butler minutes before the SB.

Maybe that's why reports of Belichick and Brady having a strained relationship is coming from. He knows he would have cut him.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Personally I believe neither. Brady himself had a bigger hand in the "Jimmy G. Saga" than the media is letting on in my opinion.

Brady wanted to be the only player that mattered according to reports. Kraft sided with Brady and Belichick was furious. Belichick wanted Jimmy to take the reigns over but was denied that oppurtunity.

Now that the dust is starting to settle, it appears that there is far more damage since that incident that we now know of; the Super Bowl essentially being gasoline to an already expanding firestorm.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Matt will likely get his. As for Aaron Rodgers, that remains to be seen.

Personally though, I think he is done being a Packer. I could not blame him given the fact that, considering his position, he has yet to return to the big dance and now has injury issues of his own.

More info here;

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ys-he-may-have-to-leave-packers-during-career

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know what hand Brady played in it but there was no way to keep JG there backing up Brady on a small contract when he was well aware what he could make on the open market.

The only option to keep JG was to cut Brady. The more I think about it, the more I think thats what Belichick wanted to do.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Me the same although I do believe that everything within the "Jimmy G Saga" led up to week six; a perfect oppurtunity to get rid of Jimmy.

Granted, I also know that Jimmy was going to be dealt within the season anyway. As to why he still was not dealt in the beginning given the fact that his trade value was far higher than week six still remains a mystery.

All in all though, as I said in my earlier post. Both Brady and Kraft got what they wanted. They both can now receive their comeuppance heading into the 2018 season.

16. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree.
    It wasn't talked about at all in the media, but everything was coming to a head this offseason. The Pats had some big decisions to make regarding Brady and/or BB. If Peyton Manning can be released, anyone can be released, and I think if left up to BB Brady's last snap as a Patriot would've been the Hail Mary to Gronk. Brady knew this and IMO had to get Jimmy G out. It's been reported that he and Kraft are like father and son, so he won the battle. As it stands, I believe that BB has called his last play in New England. Again, IMO, it has already been agreed upon and the exit strategy is in place and moving forward. JMD will be the next coach starting next year. I look for BB to resign before training camp to 'spend time with his family' or something like that and take a year or two off before returning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  19. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh no? Before I dwelve into that statement though, you did state "It wasn't talked about at all in the media" right?

As towards that bolded statement, here are some articles that disprove your current statement;

https://deadspin.com/the-patriots-will-soon-have-to-choose-between-tom-brady-1795089068

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new...atriots-choose-jimmy-garoppolo-over-tom-brady

Again, in your statement, you did state the following;

" Up until that trade, there was never a mention of the Pats having to make a decision in the offseason regarding Brady."

If there was never a decision for the Patriots to make Brady then why was this a talking point of emphasis before the start of the season?

21. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Um yes I did. But if you take the time to read what I was replying it's not hard to figure out that Im talking pre JG trade. Maybe I didn't spell it out for you, but I did assume that with a little bit of thought that it's obvious. Sorry you missed that.

Lol seriously kid? Your frantic Google searching came up with one article from Deadspin and one from a local Boston NBC affiliate. Im sorry but I don't live in Boston nor do I pay much attention to Deadspin. I prefer Sirius NFL Radio, ESPN, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, NFL.com, NFL Network, with local talk radio sprinkled in.

You're seriously hounding me over minutiae; something so silly as whether or not there was talk of a choice between TB and JG prior to the season? Something that has practically nothing to do with the rest of the content of the post?

Oh, and note that I could call you out on the bolded part being that two articles doesn't constitute a "talking point of emphasis before the start of the season," but I won't play your game.

Grow up.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Im sorry but I don't live in Boston nor do I pay much attention to Deadspin. I prefer Sirius NFL Radio, ESPN, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, NFL.com, NFL Network, with local talk radio sprinkled in.

You did say though it was not talked in the media. In actuality it was. Therefore, while it was discussed in the media, it was not your media of preference. Does that make it useless information since it does not live up towards your standards? :hmm:

For that matter, does this also mean that those two articles do not provide the necessary information in relations to what transpired before week six in spite the fact that the Jimmy G. issue would end up rearing its ugly head heading into the 2017 season? Or do those two articles still fall short of what you constitute as meaningful information given the fact that major media outlets are the only form of information available?

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    IDK AQL. When I first heard that NE was shopping Jimmy G, I wasnt aware of any friction behind the scenes. It was just because Jimmy G was nearing the ned of his contract and they were entertaining draft pick offers. Even after the trade to the Niners, I still didnt hear anything. I just thought it was a bad move to dump JG at that point with Brady being 40.

The first I heard of any problems was after the SB loss and BB's handling of Butler which then led to the rest coming out.

It certainly wasnt spoken about at length if at all in main stream media if there was behind the scenes problems between Kraft/Brady and BB.

Even if it was, hardly seems like a reason to hold someones feet to the coals over :shrug:

Unless maybe you wrote one of the articles :smiley1:

24. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    No, it means that I have neither the time nor the inclination to search every corner of the world wide web to find every single instance of the media covering the topic at hand. Congratulations having the time to frantically and extensively Google the topic and find the two obscure articles that prove me wrong. I'll be more careful the next time I write in absolutes and maybe I can employ someone without a life who has the time to do that research for me so I don't make such mistakes again. You seem to be adept at finding such things, could I reach out to you since you seem to have all of the aforementioned qualities?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Doubtful. He would have posted it in his first response if he did.

Exactly. That statement really has nothing to do with the rest of the post. It could've been left out and not changed the the meaning at all. It's puzzling why he's choosing to make an issue of it when the rest of my post is me giving my opinion and open for discussion. Debate that instead of the insignificant comment the proceeds it. Frankly he's just trolling.