1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim zorn as potential new OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Feb 4, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just heard on the NFL network that Jim zorn has turned down a few other jobs in the league due to him waiting to see if he is hired for the Steelers OC position. Now, that doesn't mean he's going to get it, but it does mean the Rooney's/Tomlin have told him that there is a realistic chance of him getting the job, otherwise he wouldn't publicly state such a thing, nor would he turn down other offers. He's obviously in the running, which surprised me a little as this is the first time I've heard his name mentioned.

I don't know much about him, but one memory of him I do have is when he was the head coach of the Skins and called back to back timeouts (which is a 15 yard penalty I believe) which knocked his team out of FG territory. I want to say the FG would have either won or tied the game, but don't quote me on that part, I could be wrong. I also know he's never been known to be a good clock manager. I couldn't imagine adding another poor clock manager to go along with Ben and Tomlin. We'd end up trying to use 7 timeouts all in the 1st quarter. I also remember him running the most insane play I've ever seen in the NFL. He lined up all his Olineman and WR's far out to the left and had his punter receive the snap with absolutely no lineman to protect him. The other team called a TO as they had never seen something like that. After the time out, rather than go for the FG (it was a short kick if I remember correctly) he lined up in that same formation again, with no lineman to protect his punter who was taking the snap (rather than the QB). In the end, the pass was intercepted.

When you're only memories of the guy are those I just listed, it doesn't create much in the way of optimism or excitement for him to get hired with the Steelers. Anyone have opinions about this guy?

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought Gibbs did the timeout thing. Zorn just flopped out of being a HC for good ol' fashioned stinking. But I could be wrong, maybe Zorn did something like that too, but I'm certain Gibbs had a timeout/FG flub.

I don't know much about Zorn either. I remember he was highly touted as a QB coach, and everyone thought he was the next big thing. I don't remember how he did as an OC at all. My initial reaction to reading his name as a possibility is "Eeeeek."

3. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You're right, my mistake, it was Gibbs that did the timeout thing. zorn did the wacky playcalling thing though, which if anyone remembers it, was perhaps the dumbest playcall in the history of the NFL.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This doesn't make you feel real good about it:

From Wikipedia
    Six games into the 2009 season, with a record of two wins and four losses, the Washington Redskins relieved Zorn of offensive play calling duties, assigning them to assistant coach Sherman Lewis following the Redskins' loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on October 18.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How many OCs lose their jobs mid-season? You have to really, really suck. It's usually coaches that are let go, and even then it's not until after you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I am feeling worse about this by the second.

I can't imagine they would ever really hire him. I put it at < 1%.

6. mogadiba

mogadiba Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I just wanted to chime in on the crazy formation play-call. At the time, I loved it. I thought it was hilarious and inventive, and obviously one of those situations where the guy knows he's gonna lose his job, so why not try something you've thought about since high school. That being said. . .
    I wouldn't have found it nearly as entertaining were it MY team doing stupid crap. I like the guy though. Maybe he misunderstood and he's unknowingly turning down other jobs waiting for the Steelers QB coach spot, with Fitchner moving up.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    haley fired chan gailey after 3 preseason games at KC. ouch! one thing though, alot of these guys didn't walk into the situations they would have here. we are pretty set with talent compared to most places. :cool:

8. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm in DC and listen to the sports stations talk Skins all day. Basically, everyone thought Zorn was a pretty bad coach and play caller. I'm pretty sure we don't want him.

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    He lasted 3 seasons as Utahs Uths(think thats how its spelled..who cares) OC....Dont want him here!! NWNH

10. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah I am also stuck with DC sports radio and I have heard tons of bad things about this guy... he is not very assertive either and Ben would quickly take over calling that shots.

11. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not to mention hes an icky Raven

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    No thanks.

Not impressed with his track record at all. If anyone expects Zorn to be an improvement over BA I think the crack pipe may not be too far off.

13. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    With all of these wonderful credentials why is he even being looked at/considered?

Didn't really happen, just a rumor?

Is he ultra cheap?

Someone in Steeler brass think a nutcase has to fil that job?

14. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man, I live in Maryland, not to far from The Redskins FedEx Field. Originally from Pittsburgh but have lived in this area for over 38 years. The Redskins stunk under Zorn. He only inherited the HC job because nobody wanted it at the time. He was the OC when he inherited the job because of the stupid owner Dan Snyder. With Snyder, the Redskins are the pits of the NFL, the worst owner. Zorn had no clue especially when they relieved him of the play calling duties and gave them to Ray Sherman. How about that, you are the HC and the owner relieves you of the play calling duties and brings in someone else to do it. After the season was over, Zorn was fired.

He didn't have much talent to work with but it was bad. He might be a decent QB coach but not an OC. The Steelers could not sink that low by bring this guy in!

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I'm fine with crazy playcalls to catch the defence off guard, especially if it's something they've never seen before. But, once the other team (Giants I believe) called a timeout so they could try to figure out the play and defend against it, that's when zorn should have called a different play. Instead, he ran the same crazy play and it resulted in an easy interception. I know, an interception isn't exactly rare, but for those who have seen the play, you know what I'm saying. It probably was the worst designed and executed play in NFL history. It didn't even look like a real play. It's almost as if zorn was pissed at Dan Snyder and decided to get back at him.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't know that Zorn has had enough experience as an OC to truly evaluate. As I recall, he was hired as an OC in Washington, but immediately made HC after Gibbs retired. There is not a real good track history of HC's that also act as OC, there really isn't. I think Zorn was probably setup for failure (being that the redskins are the east coast raiders), amongst the worst run franchises in modern history (well... aside from the pirates). Zorn has had decent success as a QB coach in seattle, but his latest stints with Baltimore and KC were very brief.

I seriously doubt Zorn is our best option available, if he is, then we're in trouble.

17. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. I don't know a ton about him, but what I do know I don't like. I was really surprised to hear he was holding out for the Steelers OC job. That makes me think either he's completely insane and has no chance of getting it, or he is actually in the running. I hope he's just insane.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he was a good qb back in the day, he and largent were quite the pair, but as far as OC, no thank you. we deserve better. like i said we have the horses in place, they should be knocking down the doors to coach here. :cool:

19. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Just say no to Zorn! Don't want him with the Steelers at all. But the longer this drags out, the more concerned I am about them screwing it up.

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    My only concern is that Zorn does have a connection to Charlie Batch. Apparently back in Batch's rookie season Zorn coached him, for better or worse.

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Does anyone know if Steve Largent is available since he's left his political position? Now that might be interesting. I think I'd rather have Largent than Zorn.

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    is the ligashersky of the offense ,i'm really worried about tomlin choice :bowdown: