1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jets assistant Hines Ward wants Gatorade shower if team beats Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Jets assistant Hines Ward wants Gatorade shower if team beats Steelers

Rich Cimini
    ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It's a meaningless game for the New York Jets, but offensive assistant Hines Ward wants a championship-like celebration if they defeat his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"It will be special for me, but I'm a competitive guy," Ward said Friday. "I want to win. I want to beat the Steelers as much as anybody in this building, trust me. I'm telling my guys, 'You have to win this for me.' I want the Gatorade shower and all that if we win."

Ward, a legendary Steelers wide receiver who won two Super Bowls and was a Super Bowl MVP during his 14 years in Pittsburgh, said this is the first time in his career that he is rooting against the Steelers.

"It's kind of weird," he said. "I played my entire career there. Having people on the staff department, they want to go out to dinner [Saturday], things like that. It's Christmas weekend in New York City, so everybody wants to come in."

Ward, 43, said his phone is blowing up with ticket requests and well wishes. It's a Jets home game, but the Steelers' fan base travels well and MetLife Stadium likely will be invaded by Terrible Towel-waving fans Sunday.

Ward was hired as a full-time member of the Jets coaching staff after a training camp internship. He said he enjoys the job, although he admitted coaches' hours are a lot longer than he expected.

"I've tried television. I've tried a lot of different things," he said. "I, of course, did 'Dancing With the Stars.' There's nothing like being around a locker room and being around an organization.

"For me, I've been to the pinnacle, I've been to the mountaintop. I've been very blessed. I've gotten everything I want out of football, and I want to share that experience and knowledge with younger guys."

Ward ventured into enemy territory last week with a road trip to Baltimore, one of the Steelers' AFC North rivals. He said Ravens coach Jim Harbaugh was surprised to see him in Jets gear. As for the Ravens' fans, Ward cracked, "I heard some F-yous."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ard-wants-gatorade-shower-team-beats-steelers

• Like Like x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Oh this is going to be a problem for TODS backwards Hahahahahha

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good maybe when he’s done with that cow he’ll go back to beating dead horses....:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    yup, Hines Ward is now officially on SDOT's naughty list :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm sure that shower would be pretty golden for him....oh wait....

ok that felt weird crackin' on Hines :lolol: One of my all time favorites..

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hawaii 5-0.

No animosity towards Hines at all. NEVER! Hines did it the right way regarding retirement. I know he was temporarily contemplating playing on, even if it was for another team.... but he did not. In a rarity today, he played out his whole career with one team only.... The Greatest team of All-Time....The Pittsburgh Steelers. Thank you Hines not only for your years of service with us but to retire with us.

Of course I want the Steelers to win this game, we need it. Hines gets that. However again, morally (IMO) he did things the right way. I know he felt he had something left in the tank when the end of the road came, however, what athlete does not. Troy is another one who wanted to stay but followed the same path as Hines. I know there is some bitterness from Troy but he is a rationale man and I would bet he knows the organization did what was best for the team as with Hines. Two of the all-time greatest players to come through and once again play for The Greatest team of All Time....The Pittsburgh Steelers. Way to go Hines and Troy. Nothing but Love for both of you!

On a final note: We know Troy is a lock for the HOF. However, in my mind so should Hines. Of course, the talking heads in the media disagree for the most part from what I have seen and read. This is based primarily on his career stats. SCREW THEM!

He completely redefined the position with his style of play. He was a good receiver and the intangibles that he brought to the game were, and still are, unparalleled. That alone is HOF worthy IMO.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    They’re only traitors if they go to the Pats?!?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Uh oh people gona get mad and call him a traitor

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Steelers had every opportunity to offer him a job, I mean he did how many internships and informal coaching sessions for them the last couple of years. Instead of putting him to work he was offered work elsewhere, no hard feelings you have to do what you have to do. I'd have felt better if he had taken over after coach Drake passed. I'm sure Ben and Hines will have a few chuckles before the game.

10. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If he beats the Steelers with that Jets team then the man deserves a Gatorade bath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Ain't gonna hate. He works for the Jets now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dynamite player and dynamite person. I hope the
    Steelers blow the Jets out.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why you gotta be like that ward? Lots of ex Steelers on that team. Steelers east.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you have to ask for the Gatorade bath, it seems contrived and unspontaneous. If you are really a respected and beloved coach, you wouldn't have to reserve your post game tribute ahead of time. The players would do it without being told to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you old enough ... to remember, how long it took ... the Great Lynn Swann to get in? And then, he had to lobby, to get Stallworth in. Our receivers are a different brand of what the committee is looking for.

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hines is the man and will always be a hero to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hines is the man. But for 4 hours tomorrow, he's not. Mental compartmentalization helps me in these situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not following you Mac? I don't follow or really care
    about any other team except the Steelers. If they don't
    play for the black and gold I don't like them for that day.
    Maybe you forgot the green font?

19. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hines on offense and Polamalu on defense my two favorite Steelers!!! Blue collar type bring your lunch pail to work hard hitting guys, very loyal and passionate !!love em!!!:yeehaw:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I see what you are saying, but even if Hines had decided to give it a try with another team for a year or so it would not have changed my opinion of him. I don't really have any ill feelings about this statement either, the fact that he wants to motivate his current team in a meaningless game just builds the respect I have for him.

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't fault Ward here because he did the right thing in retirement. He came here and didn't get a coaching gig. I do think he needs to weigh the situations and realize we have playoff aspirations where the Jets season is over. Obviously he has to say these things as a Jets coach and not I want the opposition to win. I'm going to take it like that for now. But if they end our season and he's dancing and smiling and ****. I might get mad.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wasn't Kevin Greene a member of the Super Bowl XLV Packers coaching staff? I don't hold that against him. I agree with you on Harrison, but Ward is a Steeler through and through. I wish him all the best. And if he has success coaching another team.... so be it. Hell.... Tony Dungy was a Steeler... and he's a Super Bowl Champion coach with Colts. Good for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree with all of that. It's not even closely comparable to Harrison situation. Super Bowl is a lot different than a pointless regular season game where the Jets are already out of the playoffs. Winning another game only hurts them long term. I just don't see the point in going all out to beat us. I think he's just saying that because he has to.

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are gonna do OK tomorrow. And if I'm wrong... you can call me out for being a rose-colored-glasses idiot. I expect a win. Jets offense is gonna get owned by Steelers defense, IMO. Duck will do enough, if not more... to secure the win.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    but you picked the Jets to win 17-13 in the Steelers prediction thread?

• Like Like x 1