1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jersey Sales for Villanueva have skyrocketed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I just linked you to proof that the DoD pays for the patriotism you see in sports...

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think this is accurate. The reason they couldnt make Kap and other players stand is because there is no rules in the books about it. The NBA does, I remember because a story was written about this when Kap began the kneeling stuff. If the NFL wants to end all this, they will change the rule. In light of Goodells statement this past weekend, dont hold your breath.

3. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    And another Billion is federally subsidized to NFL stadiums. It does not mean patriotism is bought and paid for in this country, Try telling AV his patriotism only exists because of money.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting read about this passage here.
    http://www.snopes.com/must-nfl-players-stand/

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm sorry, but your argument is beyond silly. Doesn't matter what they did or didn't do 10 years ago. It's what they do now.
    Also I'm going to have to do a bit of research. The 2009 thing doesn't sound right.

6. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I bought a Villaneueva jersey today, a salute to service jersey. It will be the only Steelers jersey I will be wearing for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 7
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    While the anthem continued to be a game-day fixture, NFL players typically stayed in the locker room for it.
    There were exceptions, of course -- players observed the anthem after 9/11, and during Super Bowl games. But it wasn't until 2009 that players were mandated to be on the field for the song.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/nfl-national-anthem-trump-kaepernick-history-trnd/index.html

8. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  10. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Question: Why are people saying that FLAG!!!! instead of our/ The flag that sounds so much like an after thought.:flag:

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    NFL is around 97 years old. Being on the field for the anthem is something the NFL has only done for 8 years. There was no issue with the team staying in the tunnel like NFL teams had been doing for 80+ years. This is only a story because one player couldn't stay with the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Krappernut is a bummmm. Players even came out to say what does he know about sacrifice and injustice when he can't relate he's half white. It's because his career sucked and he needed all attention on him. Hope I never finds work again accept at Dairy Queen as a lot attentent. Never liked him in the first place any ways.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not for me it's not. You keep repeating that over and over. Doesn't make it true.
    I'm not going to get into anymore political debates. My views are mine and I've already shared them in other threads last night. No sense in sounding like a broken record.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Glenn do you believe that anyone who chose to put team above self was wrong to do so?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You can believe what you want but Steelers and Titans did the same exact protest. Type in Steelers on Twitter and it's hundreds of people posting pictures of AV "He stood alone" When his teammates were right behind him. "Mike Tomlin should be fired for condemning him" All Tomlin said was they couldn't agree on what to do so they decided as a team to stay in the tunnel. He wished AV stayed with his team. People on Twitter are taking the picture and twisting the narrative. Trying to make it seem like the Steelers all took a knee when they were all standing 5 steps behind him. Then go type in Titans on Twitter and no backlash because they didn't have someone standing in front of the team.

16. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Do the Titans have any war veterans on their team?

Edited to add that I'm not trying to poke the bear or be a jerk, just make the point that AV is one of a kind in the NFL. I agree with what people have said about twisting the narrative to make it seem like the team abandoned him when they really didn't. He also respected the coach and stayed off the sideline.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe anyone who didn't come out and stand for the anthem was wrong.
    I don't care about a guy sitting on his couch or what the did pre 2009. I care about someone not standing on purpose and making a whole spectacle out of it. That's my view. That's what works for me. Others my have different views.
    That's it for me now. If you want to discuss it further we can PM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's probably a bit of observer bias. While not the end all be all, the Titans Facebook page has 900 something thousand likes. The Steelers: 6 and a half million. Steelers in general are a much more popular franchise and whatever they do is likely going to be much more in the spotlight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's fair, I don't like a team full of good honest men being called scum because they all decided like adults to not partake in something because it could divide the team and keep them from accomplishing their goals.

20. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Stand and lock arms.. Problem solved. The Seahawks are full of loud mouth whiners, hardly surprising.. Their whole team was probably going to kneel anyhow since Mr. Bennett was a victim of police brutality :rolleyes:. Titans look like little bitches too.

21. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, that's fake... the internet has been churning that A62-63 nonsense out for 48 hours now....

There is no such rule

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I doubt anyone was even watching the Titans game. Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben's Facebook post:

I was unable to sleep last night and want to share my thoughts and feelings on our team’s decision to remain in the tunnel for the National Anthem yesterday. The idea was to be unified as a team when so much attention is paid to things dividing our country, but I wish we approached it differently. We did not want to appear divided on the sideline with some standing and some kneeling or sitting.

As a team, it was not a protest of the flag or the Anthem. I personally don’t believe the Anthem is ever the time to make any type of protest. For me, and many others on my team and around the league, it is a tribute to those who commit to serve and protect our country, current and past, especially the ones that made the ultimate sacrifice.

I appreciate the unique diversity in my team and throughout the league and completely support the call for social change and the pursuit of true equality. Moving forward, I hope standing for the Anthem shows solidarity as a nation, that we stand united in respect for the people on the front lines protecting our freedom and keeping us safe. God bless those men and women. -- Ben.

Seems to me he regrets his actions, not Villenueva's.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As someone who also served his country in foreign lands during the global war on terrorism, I plan on buying his jersey

25. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I gonna say this, hope I dont get banned, and I am off my soap box.

I am ashamed of my beloved Steelers and their actions yesterday. Villenueva is a hero and deserves the utmost respect. To allow him to walk out alone, stand there alone, was just wrong. I have no problem with them kneeling, protesting, holding hands, whatever. But not during our national anthem. People like Villenueva gave a lot, some gave it all, to allow us as a country to have the freedoms that we do today. To kneel at that time is the same as spitting in the faces of all of these men and women as far as Im concerned.

As for me, at this time, I wont be watching my beloved Steelers. I would be lying if I said I never will again but at the moment, my country and our veterans deserve my respect. I bleed black and gold, I guess this year it will just have to be Penguin black and gold. GO PENS!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1