1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jersey Sales for Villanueva have skyrocketed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Sep 25, 2017.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :applaud::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    His jersey is the ONLY money I would consider spending for the nfl now.

If we hadn't already bought tickets to a game this year we wouldnt be going.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If you truly believed in your cause you would either eat the cost or sell.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    My cause is freedom, I believed so strongly in it I donned a uniform. I don't agree with the kneeling but it doesn't violate existing rules and is an expression of the freedom of speech (albeit ignorant ).

My wife and I planned a weekend to Pittsburgh almost a year ago to see the Pens and steelers at home. Should we just cancel our whole trip? At least the Pens respect tradition enough to go to the white house regardless of their like or dislike of the man in office.

Our tickets are a sunk cost, the league has already been paid whether I resell them or not. I can however fill a seat and not buy any merchandise or concessions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok... it's starting to get political again. Stop it folks...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is exactly what they tried to avoid by making a decision as a TEAM to stay in the locker room. AV wasn't being a team player, sadly.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    Nobody understands the concept of team better than AV. To insinuate that he was doing anything but showing respect to his friends that died in the line of duty is sad. He respected Tomlin and stayed off the sideline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wonder how many of these people bought Cam Heyward and Dwill jerseys last year or the year before?

11. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Trying to keep politics out of it: I understand what the team was trying to do, but as far as perception goes, staying in the locker room or tunnel is the same as not respecting the anthem or flag. I'm sure to many, it initially seemed like a good idea but in hind sight looks like an error in judgement.

I'm just glad someone had the balls to do the right thing even when you are the only one doing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    As a war veteran myself I would be proud to stand at his side, we laid our lives on the line for that flag and after returning from war we just cant ignore the symbol we could have died for as many did, our patriotism supersedes any other causes society may deem more important than what we lived through in a war zone ....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I am sure Captain Villanueva
    Feels the same way as I do about people not standing which is a salute to the flag that makes this country great. There can be another way of showing unity besides kneeling for the anthem. Teams could meet facing each other and shake hands before the game like they did in 1982. I fought 30 years for folks to have freedom. I feel the people kneel and all forms of disrespecting people can KISS MY ASS

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Trust me I get all that and I agree. I don't agree with the people kneeling. But they made a decision as a TEAM. I'm sure there was a lot of players that wanted to be out there for the anthem but stayed because of the team decision. IMO it's okay to not be out there for the anthem because they use to not be out there back in 2009. The only reason NFL teams are out there is because the Government cuts them a check if you want to know the honest truth. Do people at home stand? I've never seen anyone. It's disrespectful to be out there while it's going on and taking a knee imo. That's what the Steelers were trying to avoid and they did. This is only still an issue because AV couldn't be 5 steps back with his team.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    Overall I can definitely apprecite where you're coming from. I do agree with most of what you're saying.

16. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Big Al2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    At the end of the day, they should have just come out, stood, and linked arms. The teams who did that aren't being scrutinized, and everyone understands the message. The players on the Steelers who said they would kneel basically threw the whole franchise under the bus and forced everyone into an awkward distraction/situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't think any team just linked arms. Those teams had kneelers as well. Steelers had players that were going to kneel. I mean listen to Tomlins comments he obviously didn't want to have to do this. Once again this is only an issue because AV didn't stay with his team as they agreed upon. Steelers took the most pc approach and it has completely backfired because of AV. Titans did the same thing and no criticism because nobody thought they were bigger than the team and stood alone.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  20. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
    The Bears, Bengals, Texans, Vikings, and possibly another team or two stood and linked arms, and didn't kneel. The Bears outclassed us both before, during, and after the game.. I had more respect for the Bengals than the Steelers yesterday.

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Mods: it's obvious this wants to be talked about by members of this board. Please make a thread appropriate for people to discuss it. I don't understand what the big deal is. If grown adults want to discuss it, let them!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm pretty sure most of those teams have had players kneel before where the Steelers haven't. I know the Bengals have but apparently that's not an issue anymore because people live in the now. Steelers fans are only mad and there's backlash because there's pictures of AV standing alone and making it seem like everybody is kneeling when that's not the case. They couldn't agree and made a team decision to stay in tunnel for anthem. Exactly what the Titans did and no backlash because nobody thought they were bigger then the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I have always wanted his jersey but in the arm force camo edition.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't understand either. You're acting like it's not being discussed. It's been discussed ad nauseam. There have been hundreds of posts about it. Most people are controlling themselves and keeping it within the confines of the board guidelines and complying with moderators requests.

25. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
    I've never seen or heard of a Bengals player kneeling, ever. A team filled with headcases and criminals, yet they can find the uniformity in themselves not to cause a distraction by kneeling or doing something viewed as disrespectful by many during the Anthem. I don't know about the other teams, I haven't bothered to look. You keep trying to justify this unnecessary distraction and division it is causing. All they have to do is stand and link arms. Respect given, point taken, play football. It's not difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1