1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jerry Rice v Antonio Brown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bendez, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Bendez

Bendez New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It is undeniable that Jerry Rice is the greatest WR in NFL history, and many would argue the best player ever. That being said, I thought it would be interesting to compare AB to Rice through their first 101 games(which also happens to be exactly 1/3 of Rice's career 303 games).

Rice | AB

Yards: 8,532 | 8,377
    Receptions: 488 | 632
    Y/C: 17.48 | 13.25
    TD's: 87 | 50

The advantage goes to Rice in pretty much every category. The question, however, is what longevity can Brown have? Can Brown play into his late 30's or early 40's like Rice? It makes sense that Brown could have a long, long, career like Rice since he is a possession receiver. Brown will never touch Rice's TD record of 197, but he very well could challenge for both yards and receptions and become one of, if not the greatest WR in NFL history.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Brown can't hold rice's jock strap lol, love brown though but Jerry rice can take over a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Different rules. Brown would be average in late 80's early 90's

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    In the mid late '80s, Rices first 6 yrs, an average team had about 17.5 completions per game for 205 yds. Today, it's over 22 completions per game for 235 yds. So AB benefits a bit from 'grade' inflation.

Rice was good for so long, he played very well even at 40. AB is a smaller, quicker receiver. It's hard to see the quickness lasting. It's seems like the big wrs last, and the little guys don't. I actually wonder if we've seen the best of AB already.

Interesting comparison though, I suspect ABs agent will use these numbers as he discusses contract demands with the Steelers

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    For me Jerry Rice is one of those athletes that belongs in a category all his own. The same way Jordan and Ali and Babe Ruth do. I personally think Jerry Rice is the single greatest football player to ever live. His work ethic was unreal. When I was a kid I pretty much thought he was like a real life superhero.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I love brown, but he's nowhere near rice status (and neither is any other wr in the league)....
    That said, I do believe that brown will have a long career and carve out a HOF resume.... he doesn't take many big hits, and his route running skills will serve him well when he starts losing a step or 2

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he is pretty comparable except for the TD's.

I don't think it is totally fair though. Rice was a somewhat bigger receiver in his the time, with a long wing span. Plus it doesn't help that Ben is not great in the Redzone.

Going forward it will be interesting to see what happens. AB is not a big receiver, once he loses his speed as he ages, will he still be able to get separation? I think he will do okay though, AB's work ethic is similar to Jerry's in that regard.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. AB's strength is getting open when he needs to, particularly when the play breaks down; his intuitive understanding of where Ben will throw the ball; and his ability to turn short passes into big gains.

I noticed towards the end of the year his ability to get open seemed to suffer. I don't know if it was just good coverage against him, but I expect he'll be working on things to make sure that doesn't happen as much as it did.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I suspect not having a legit threat receiver on the other side didn't help Antonio this year, or Ben getting hurt.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The closest active receiver to compare to rice would be larry fitzgerald who played on mostly bad teams during his 13 year career, and still has 14,389 yards and 104 TDs and he matches rice in size and weight larry is an inch taller at 6-3 but he wont play another 7 years to match rice's 20 year career but if he did he would probably match rices stats or be very close, but at his 13 year mark he is close to rices 13 year mark stats right now, and he is wavering on whether to retire this year or not....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jerry rice would make Landry look good, there I said it

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No WR can make him look good , but if 1 could it would be Rice...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Get back to me when AB helps his team win some Super Bowls :shrug:, otherwise these stats don't mean nothing.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah agree here.

You can't call yourself the best if double coverage takes you out of the game....

His size hurts him on the busting doubles, but he's got to be able to beat it better to be considered the best.

15. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Can not compare different eras completely different game. And rice is not making landry look good. Jerry rice is incredible but also played with the 2 qbacks that ben just is not on par with oh and rich gannon was also great. But you can not compare eras. How many goals do you think ovechkin in his prime would score in the 80s? probably over 100

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Rice was a class act and a perfectionist but he could be self-centered and aloof to teammates. Goes with the nature of being a WR it seems. Having Montana and Young throwing the ball in that system didn't hurt.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Spot on. Doesn't hurt having the greatest QB to ever play (Montana Ringold High) #7
    is not even on the same planet.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He also had Taylor opposite of him.

19. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Rice had two consistent hall of fame QB's throwing to him while Brown has one, inconsistent future hall of fame QB throwing to him. Advantage Rice.

20. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Unless one is carrying the others jock, those two do not belong in the same sentence.