1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jaylen Warren cracks top 20 list.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Trying to extrapolate something that has so many variables is silly. Example he had 1 his first season and 4 his second, 2 of them coming in a bad weather game. But if it makes you and others feel better to believe he is prone to fumbling, knock yourself out.

2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Doesn't matter. Runningbacks, except for a very select few, are disposable. Use them until the break and move on.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Warren got more opportunities as a receiver because he was the third-down back. Backs are going to average more as receivers than runners, so presenting total yards that way was misleading. You know this, which makes it disappointing that you would resort to such a dishonest approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Being able to hold on to the ball in bad weather is kind of important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. it is their job, who cares how they get those yards? only you i guess. keep going though. make your self feel better. i could care less what you think. and on and on and on and on and on and on we go. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he was the 3rd down back BECAUSE he could catch, run and move quick with the ball. they took Najee OFF the field.

the chicken comes before the egg - it DELIVERS the egg :cool:

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This would be a perfect scenario in my opinion. You don't HAVE to try to make Warren Le'Veon Bell. You can make him Austin Ekeler and spell him with a decent back that has a different skillset than Warren. Truly, Warren COULD be a bell cow back in the same vein as Maurice Jones Drew.... but that might not be the best course of action in today's NFL. He just needs to be getting more than 8.8 carries per game. He's proven that his game is worth a lot more than that. Give him 13-16 carries a game with 4-5 ish receptions a game and you're probably looking at about 1,000 yds rushing and about 500 yards receiving. That would be pretty good output for your starting back.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think I even mentioned in a previous post that if you take 1 game out of the mix, Warren isn't a significantly worse fumbler than Harris has been the last two seasons (since Warren was a Steeler). The last 2 seasons, Najee has a fumble every 119 touches and if you remove a singular game, then Warren has a fumble every 102 touches. Again, that number is slightly worse, but not catastrophic. We make too much out of it. Warren puts it on the ground a bit more than Najee, but not at an alarming rate.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct

but that won't change the narrative of a few here.

lies, damn lies, and statistics.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd like to see him become an aaron jones. be able to do it all and then have another that could do the same. have corderrell be the bruiser in certain situations, although he can do quite a lot as well. :cool:

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So by this L Bell sucked....He never had one either???? So because of one big run that makes it true.
    Again for the people in back......If I run 2nd down 50 more times than You.....in a season who did You think will have the higher average on 2nd down. This is not freaking rocket science.....use Your brain.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm sorry.....I must be forgetting......didn't it eat into His playing time in the Ravens game???
    I never said Warren was a fumbling machine.....I said He has the same amount of fumbles as a RB on the same team that has over 600 more carries.....where is the lie????
    You just argue to argue. Am I lying about what I said.....if not.....why are You arguing???

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like the ....let's take the one fumbling game out, and He would be better thing. LoL.
    I'm sorry can we do that.....Hell I can make every player look better that way. So let's play.....let's take that game away where He had that great big run td....what about now???
    Do You see why You can't do this yet???

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like both players. I think the decision to focus on Warren probably has more to do with financials.

I agree that they probably should have just let Najee play his 5th year out, but maybe they wanted to avoid a holdout scenario.

If I was building the team, i probably would have focused on Warren also focusing on the Oline which is exactly what they did.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I care about making an honest and valid evaluation of the numbers. You don't and you are trying to cover it up with a lame personal attack. Do better.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We don't know that he can hold up and produce with that sort of workload. He hasn't had to do it in the NFL. Also, how good do you feel about having your primary back struggle to protect the ball in bad weather?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The eye test matters here, too. Did you see that game in Baltimore? Every sane Steelers fan was calling for them to leave Warren on the sideline by the end of that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    The answer is pretty simple. Reschedule bad weather games. Duh. Or all 32 teams are required to have domes. You're welcome. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

simple question. why are his total yards dishonest? does a RB's worth only come from running? can he be good at both and there for be a better player for the team. i got your dishonest hangin pal. go grade a paper. :cool:

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

no, every sane fan was calling for them to get him on the sideline (well) BEFORE the end of the game :cool::drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Its not that he would be better, it's that his fumbling statistic is skewed by a game in a downpour where he fumbled twice. It skews it because he has had a few number of carries, right? The point I am trying to make is that his fumbling is overblown because of that game. League average over the past five years is 1 fumble per 93 carries for NFL RB's... Without a singular game, he would be better than average. We can talk about him having a fumbling problem if he manages to put it on the ground a bunch next year. He hasn't had much of a problem with it so far in his career.

If you take Warren's 74 yard TD against the Browns, he still averages 4.8 YPC. Gotta take a few more big ones away before we get down to Najee land.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    That is true, I think that he can. He is smaller, but he is still built well and can run with both speed and power. We wont truly know until he gets that opportunity though. I'd like to see him get the chance.

I'd much prefer a back that struggles to hold onto the ball in the downpour rain than a back that gains positive yardage at a much lower rate. We play in the rain, what, once or twice a year because we don't play in a dome? About 1 in 7 outdoor games in the NFL are played in rain or snow, even fewer than that in heavy rain or snow (maybe one or two a year across the league). There are only 20 fully outdoor stadiums in the league (the rest are domes or capable of being domed during inclement weather). There are 272 NFL games a year, figuring for 8.5 home games per year; 170 games are played throughout the year at an outdoor stadium. This means that 24 games per year are played in the rain or snow across the league (less than 9 percent). This means that the average number of games per year played by each team in rain/snow is 1.5. The number is even lower when you take into account a game like @Baltimore last year. Not every rain/snow game is a torrential downpour or blizzard. I just don't think these thing happen at a high enough rate for it to worry me as much as it does you. Is it perfect? No. I would prefer Warren to not fumble as much in the rain. But I would prefer that to be his flaw over other things that matter a lot more.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here is where people get Me all wrong. I Love Warren.....I just don't think He's an every down Rb/bell cow. I know for a fact Najee is.
    I know people will say well they will split time with someone else, but what if that someone else isn't very good.....that's why Your bell cow Rb must therefore be known to be able to do it for sure, and We know for a fact Najee can....Warren being that guy is just everyone guessing one way, or the other.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Holy lack of awareness Batman! I argue just to argue should be your tagline.

SO I will try a THIRD time, not being able to secure the football as well as Harris does not mean Warren has ball security issues.

But here we are, you arguing that point just to argue.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Harris isn’t remotely as good as Bell was.

Try to focus. We are comparing Warren and Harris which is pretty close between the two as to which is better. Warrens burst and ability to take one to the house is advantage over Harris. It’s not rocket science, use your brain.