1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jaylen Samuels

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 29, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Surprised there's not more optimism about him.

I think there are alot of us that believe 2018 will be Leveon Bell's last season in Pittsburgh. Which I am ok with it. His financial requests are too high.

Some were looking to replace Bell through the draft. That wasn't likely to happen. Few have the skill set of Bell.

But in the words of Billy Beans from Moneyball, we will re-create him in aggregate.

Maybe i have more faith in Connor than some but as a 2 down back runner, i really like him. His yard per carry last year was higher than Bells.

Samuels has natural hands out of the backfield and has the size to be a battering ram on 3rd down. If this guy can learn to pass protect we have our 3rd down back.

Samuels is 6ft 230lb with natural hands who ran 4.5. He's not going to be a RB but he can do alot of the other jobs Bell did which made him such a complete back.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I love this kid. I'm curious what they're going to do with him. I mean, yeah, he'll be a gadget guy for now, but what is he long term? RB? WR? Always a gadget? I'm curious if they think he can handle semi-regular carries in the NFL. For a late 5th I'm all for it.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes NB I am that guy, I am not optimistic at all but I am hopeful I am wrong. I don't want to get into the Conner replacing Bell thing cause it can't happen. If we are running this same style offense we need a RB of Bell's skill set. Also comparing YPC is not good as Bell does so much more imo that you can't compare stats on......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think he is a gimmicky player.

He is a big back with natural hands. He won't make his living as a typical RB though.

If he can pass protect then I think he is an ideal 3rd down back. But he may profile to be more of an H-back.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

The more I read on him the more I feel this is insurance in case Vance goes down do you agree? I see this kid in that role and maybe I should have read more and thought more before I gave him such a bad grade. Oh well I am just a guy behind a puter I don't do this for a living like the guys I am getting my info from.......:facepalm: lol

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I didn't even know who Samuels was when he got picked. But after watching some highlights and reading up on him, Im pretty excited about the kid. If Leveon holds out into the season or gets hurt at any point, I can see Conner and Samuels being used as a tandem. Conner the 2 down hammer and Samuels as a 3rd down do it all guy. Samuels is never going to be your every down back, but I think he has the potential to develop into a great 3rd down back change of pace guy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good summation NB. Yeah, that could be a very effective tandem. Sure its using 2 people to do one mans job but those two players salary doesnt come close to Bells.

Yeah I like that very much :thumbs_up:

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Swiss army knife. Beef him up to TE size?

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think ridley actually brings a lot to this team too. he ran well for us last year. as for samuels, this is a kid randy fichtner will use and love. especially from the FB spot. right up randy's alley. he'll use him and nix in mismatch situations. i love this pick. 49 TD's ain't chopped liver. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Hes only 5'11. I don't think he is a legit TE.

I was confused when I saw him drafted because I thought nfl.com did say he was a TE but I always had him listed as a FB even though he isn't that type of blocker.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    if he can catch like they say he can, then add 20 lbs to him and let him also learn TE position,

then we could cut Grimble save some cash. Still could play rb Bus like LOL

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Why are we trying to turn this kid into a TE. If we are going to turn him into anything let's make it an inside linebacker.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    If he can pass protect then I think he is an ideal 3rd down back. But he may profile to be more of an H-back.

If he is in for the 3rd down it will be an empty backfield by design in today's spread em' offenses. He will be playing 3rd down to get open in space for a short pass to turn into a longer run.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    What I like is having the ability to move him all over the field the same way we do with Bell. You can line him up in the slot, split him wide, whatever you want to do. If this kid pans out we won't have to change our offense at all if Bell goes down. Conner can do the heavy lifting, and Samuels can play the role of Bell on 3rd down.

I'm concerned that Bell is going to hold out into the season this time around. If he does I'm glad we now have a 3rd down back.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah man, this is the fun pick. I like that they take chances on hybrids such as this.

You just may strike gold. Digg the pick!

• Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

His 4.5 makes him faster than Bell.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Tomlin has said his position is yet to be determined, but Saxon, our rb coach seems to think he’ll start off as a running back. I’m actually rather excited about this pick. If he loses 10-15 lbs he’ll be Bells weight, probably 4.4ish and will look even more agile and twitchy. His bread and butter is his hands/route running ability and he can block, so perhaps pass protection won’t be a problem. If Bell goes down, carve out a role like Woodhead.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I just watched a bit of his highlights. Looks like he could be a good pick.
    I do wonder though how he is with ball security. He almost looks like he's out of control when he's running sometimes.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He seems shifty, a little like A.R.E. I wonder if he has the speed for the NFL though?

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    We could be looking at a possible commitee approach for life after Le'Veon Bell. Given the fact he is likely going to sit again come the start of this season yet again, this gives all of us an extended look at James Conner.

While it is best to have a feature back on a team, a running back commitee is the next best thing. James Conner can be the back between the hashes while Samuels can be the back with receiving capabilities.

It is not that I do not have optimism for Jaylen SteelCity. A multi role back like Jaylen was to be expected given Bell's contract issues but to nab him where we did is where my optimism mainly lies.

I am just so much more enamored about the defense's prosects than the offense currently; Terrel Edmunds especially. :)

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I am actually really annoyed Samuels flew under my radar. Any NC State games I watched was mainly focused on their D-ine.

He may have stuck out simply if he went to the combine as a RB. With his size, to run a 4.54 would have been impressive. But he worked out with the TEs. The second I saw a 5'11 TE I probably checked out.

Even my football draft mag I was working from had him listed as a FB. Due to Rosie Nix, I wasn't looking at that section.

I think he is our version of Alvin Kamara. Now, he isn't as explosive of an athlete as Kamara is. Maybe we can get him down to 215. He's not a TE. He's not a FB. I think he is a RB with exceptional hands who is going to catch alot of balls.

I am very excited to see what he can turn into. As has been mentioned, I am very comfortable with a future of Conner & Samuels in the backfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally agree he was listed as so many different positions I didn’t even bother and when he worked with the TE’s I was like no thank you! As for he being like Kamara I hope I am wrong but I see him more of a Wycheck kind of guy. To me that is fine cause if he is talented like everyone says than the Steelers will find a way to get him the ball. Also I like the fact that he could be a back up to both Vance and Bell.

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Down here in Carolina Coastal area we see a lot of ACC football. Samuels is very highly thought of down here

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    He doesn't. He is this years Redman.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You keep saying he won't make it as an NFL Running back.....

He is almost Identical in size to Bell when he came out of college....an inch shorter 5lbs heavier.... But he'd aster than bell in the 40.....4.54 vs 4.60 and a 3 inch higher vertical & 3 inch longer broad jump.... Compare their 20 Yd Shuttle and Bell was 4.24/ Samuel was 4.28..... His pass catching is as good or better than Bells... Rte running is to be determined...

His production is there but how he was used is what caused him to fly under the radar. Nyheim Hines was their 4.38 home run hitting feature Back.....

I'm more excited over this pick than Chuks!!!!

Cajun