1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben #6

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigsteelerfaninky, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben ranked No. 6
    July, 9, 2012

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Lost in the Fourth of July holiday was the fact that ESPN's Ron Jaworski put the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger at No. 6 in his rankings of the 30 best veteran quarterbacks in the NFL.

Here's what Jaworski had to say about Roethlisberger:

On ranking him No. 6: "Roethlisberger is the strongest quarterback in the NFL. He not only extends plays with movement out of the pocket, but also with his natural strength in the pocket. He's 'barn strong.'"

On what Roethlisberger doesn't get enough credit for: "His ability to make throws consistently from the pocket. I charted all 60 of his 20-plus yard completions in 2011. Only five came outside the pocket. In fact, time and time again he showed one of the most central attributes necessary to play at a high level in the NFL: the willingness to look down the gun barrel and deliver the football."

On what to expect from Roethlisberger: "I have seen a lot of growth from Roethlisberger in recent seasons. Once undisciplined and inconsistent in the pocket, he is now much improved. At No. 6 on my Big Board, Roethlisberger's on the cusp of becoming elite."

The quarterbacks ranked ahead of Roethlisberger are: Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

The other AFC North quarterbacks who made Jaworski's quarterback rankings were the Bengals' Andy Dalton (No. 19) and the Ravens' Joe Flacco (No. 9).

No way there are 5 better QBS than Big Ben (he didn't say that I did) and he is already elite

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He's still making too many rookie mistakes in my book.

3. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I have no problem with Jaws ratings. You could argue #7 could be in top 4 (over the Mannings but thats splitting hairs) And why do you have to be in Jaws top 5 to be considered "elite" anyway? #7 got us to 3 won 2. In 9 seasons Id say that is "elite"!! E. Manning is the only QB to have as many Super Bowl wins as #7 has since 2005. And why do we play this game? FOR THE RING!!!

4. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

I play it for the ladies Gronk style!!!

5. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks for posting this. I watched nearly everyday to the Jaws rankings but somehow missed Big Bens. Unfortunately I listened to the Tom Brady drool fest. I nearly choked.

6. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    What is Gronk style? And why am I intrigued by it?...Keeping your AV in mind..Just askin......

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I imagine it begins a little like this:

[youtube:1wzeyy3t]_2TGwv3nfEc[/youtube:1wzeyy3t]

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

thats just wrong. :hehehe: :cry: :cool:

9. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I personally think that Ben is better than any other QB in the NFL, but of course I'm biased! Honestly though, it depends on how you evaluate each one. You could say Eli is better than Brady since he beat him twice in the Super Bowl (gotta love that). Peyton didn't even play last year and we don't know how he'll be this year. I'm inclined to think he'll do well, but we gotta see. If you're going strictly on SB wins you've got to give it to Brady and then I'd put Ben ahead of Eli since he has an extra appearance, but everyone knows that's not the only way to judge a QB (see Marino). I like Brees and Rodgers but don't think they're better than Ben. I definitely think Ben is the toughest QB and the best one for the Steelers. His off the field rep plays into these rankings no matter what anyone thinks. Bottom line he is elite...

10. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    I am a Ben Roethlisberger fan but to say that he is better than Aaron Rogers is just admitting that you wear Steelers colored glasses. Watching Rogers make completions that are tight as a rope to the receiver Vs. Big Bens chuck it down the field and hope the receiver is in the area is just laughable.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't know but put rogers behind bens old line and see how tight dem ropes are. chuck it and f...k it has won twice the SB's. :shrug: :cool:

12. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    i don't know but put rogers behind bens old line and see how tight dem ropes are. chuck it and f...k it has won twice the SB's. :shrug: :cool:[/quote:2wfn9td3]

I get what you are saying with the overall Oline performance but just by technique alone Aaron Rogers is a much better overall QB. As much as it pains me to admit. I think Ben is a better motivator and has far better inovative factors but still to say he is better QB at this point is still laughable to me. I also think each of them has the talent to win at least 4 or more SB's before their career is done.

13. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    i don't know but put rogers behind bens old line and see how tight dem ropes are. chuck it and f...k it has won twice the SB's. :shrug: :cool:[/quote:97onc8j9]

I get what you are saying with the overall Oline performance but just by technique alone Aaron Rogers is a much better overall QB. As much as it pains me to admit. I think Ben is a better motivator and has far better inovative factors but still to say he is better QB at this point is still laughable to me. I also think each of them has the talent to win at least 4 or more SB's before their career is done.[/quote:97onc8j9]

I agree with hate O'Donnel here. I love Ben to death and think he is an elite QB, but Rodgers is better overall. Don't get me wrong Ben has attributes that are much better than Rodgers or any other NFL quarterback but Rodgers can pretty much do it all from what I've seen.

14. SteelerHead

SteelerHead Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Jaws QB rating...sheesh...what does he know...Eli Manning #1 ?...he's kidding right?!..and big brother Peyton...the jury is out this year with his neck situation...as much as I dislike Brady...I have to give him credit...but in my book...Big Ben is #1 or #2 or even #3...but not #6...which one of the other QB's would stay in the game with their nose on the side of their face...or stay in the game with their ankle the size of their knee...not Brees...not Rodgers...I've been watchin' football for 50 some years...and they are all wimps...compared to Big Ben(with his 2 rings...and shoulda been 3 rings,except our defense got caught with their pants down on the first play of overtime last year...still sick thinkin' about it).By the way...anybody know anything about Big Ben's foot/ankle this offseason?

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I seriously doubt they would have gotten passed NE with Bens bum ankle. The 3rd ring should have come against GB, that was a totally winnable game.

16. SteelerHead

SteelerHead Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Reply to Tomlin_Era...Shoulda,coulda,woulda with GB...short of Mendenhall coughin' up the biggest fumble of his career...which burst our bubble...with Ben, bad ankle and all...had we beat Denver...and faced NE...who we beat in week 8 Oct.30 25-17...I still liked our chances against N.Y.Giants...oh well...that was last year...after waiting for 26 years(1979-2005)for that 5th ring...then the 6th ring in 2008...I like our chances with Big Ben...no matter what Jaws thinks.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda with Denver too. We beat NE healthy, Ben was far from Healthy if they reached them a second time and even if they got passed them we never would have beaten the Giants, their pass rush would have killed us with our crappy line and immobile QB.

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is hard to compare QB's with so many factors playing in, like the O-line. So if you take into factor only the QB's themselves and their performance (and I'm leaving out wins/losses for the sake of this debate) I think you would have to put Brady as number 1. I think you could argue the rest for number two but I would lean towards P. Manning, only because of what he has done and the fact that he is basically a coach out on the field. I believe Ben and Rogers would tie for 3rd. I think Brees would be next followed by Eli. Now if you debate Eli and Ben you have to really look at their play style. They both had some luck winning a Superbowl and both were helped by a great defense. Eli has shown some flashes but he is every bit as inconsistent as Ben. What seperates those two, to me, is that Ben has a higher ceiling than Eli. I think we have seen the best that Eli will ever have to offer. This is all my two cents and, yes, I had to put a gun to my head to admit Brady is number 1. You look at where he was drafted to what he has accomplished and how he has made some of his teamates look, it is hard to argue.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He could be so much more, he has not improved under BA,
    this is one reason why ART II fired BA. Art II also knows that Ben
    can be so much more. #7 is so physically gifted it is scary, I just wish he spent
    more time in preperation and cut down on the stupid mistakes. HE IS A SUPERSTAR
    and one tough HOMBRE. Did I mention he is one of the best cold weather QBS in the league,
    Lets see how Peyton Manning or Drew Breese would have played in the same conditions
    that #7 has.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It's funny that people blame mendy for his fumble(which was textbook helmet on the football) but ignore Ben forcing the ball into double coverage(int) and doing pump fakes from his own end zone (another int).

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have no problem with Jaws' rankings. The #5/6 spot are probably really a tie. Both with 2 Super Bowls. The funny thing for me is the MVP vote and its role in "elite" status rankings. Had the pass to Holmes in the corner been Brady, he would have won the MVP. Manning MVP. Cam Newton MVP. Ben...let's give it to the receiver..?

Now, I don't know if Ben is "elite" (I like the term clutch better, as there is no QB in the NFL I want in the game other than Ben down a score less than 2 minutes to play) in that he is a guy who could stand in the pocket and fire it the way Brady can, but I really don't care. He is the best QB in the NFL for THIS team. We may find out just how good Ben can be soon. Maybe not this year, but I expect next year Ben will have a career year. The Oline will have gelled, the offense will be more familiar to him and the receivers, our running game will be determined based on roles, and the defense will continue to get better as the youth gets experience.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Plenty of people have gotten on Ben about it, you're another one. Fact is, there was several contributing factors to losing that game, no one person is to blame.

23. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Ummmmmm....No. Ben had a good day that day, not great. 256 yds with a TD and a pick. Yes, that pass was awesome, but Holmes is the one who had to keep his feet down, and hold onto the ball. One of the best catches I have ever seen. Plus, he ended with 9 catches for 131 yds and that TD. Great choice for MVP in my mind.

Ben is right about where he should be in that list.

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's the thing, Jaws put all active SB winning QB's above Ben. So the question is, did he show Ben any respect? What he is basically saying is, Ben was the worst of the 6 active SB winners. Granted we don't have any active Trent Dilfers, but one has to wonder if Philip Rivers, Mike Vick, Cam Newton, etc were to win the SB this year and Jaws did his list next year, would Ben be #7.

It is disheartening to have your team constantly beat down by the media, which is another reason why I stopped paying attention to them. I don't care what ESPN, NFLN, or anyone else has to say. Last year the Steelers had 12 wins, ending a dissapointing season all beaten up. Stay healthy and they woulda-shoulda-coulda have beaten the 9ers, won the division, earned a bye, and brought home #7. A healthy Ben makes that thought possible. Whereas Rodgers and Brees were healthy, so what was their excuse?

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Do you wan more than is a team sport?