1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Javon Hargrave

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DoinThatRag, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We bring back our guys when they’re cheap bargains. I’m not sure that Hargrave’s next contract will qualify as “cheap.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Hindsight is always 20/20 would of could of situation. I agree the Gravedigger is better as a 4/3 tackle then he was as a true NT. For the right price I d love to see him back to spell Cam.
    Shazier's tragic injury set them back and maybe they panicked going after Bush to replace him.
    No one really goes out of their way to say Hilton and Hargrave were both great picks and developed into good solid players.
    Tuitt's situation is a major factor because at that age they were thinking he will be here another 5 years.
    On offense they didn t recognize Pouncey's slide and DD then having the injury that ended it for him.
    There have been some serious misses in the draft and a lack of a solid plan but those guys all leaving in a short period of time adds up to a big chunk of talent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We didn’t have to know Tuitt would retire, many of us were citing his injury history as reason enough to keep Hargrave. He spent quite a bit of time spelling Tuitt and Heyward, he wasn’t strictly a nose here.

Colbert has said if you want a player, theres always a way to find more money. They should have for Hargrave. I don’t remember his deal being a blockbuster.

Hiltons I know wasn’t a huge contract, no excuse for letting him go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hargraves APY in Philly is $13m. In fairness, you can’t pay that to someone that isn’t a full time starter. He played about 50% of the snaps when Tuitt was healthy IIRC

I’ll bet they wish they had kept Mike Hilton he is a very good slot corner and wasn’t very expensive to keep around like you say

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can't keep everybody

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They were never going to pay all three of their starters on the DL, you can't tie up that much money to one position group, Hargrave only played about 35% of the snaps with the Steelers. When Hilton was a free agent that was the year the league reduced the cap by 16 million, they weren't going to pay what he got from the Bengals.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers normally keep the really good players like Hargrave. Playing time is a fair point, @SteelersFanIrl also mentioned that but they could have spelled Tuitt and Heyward more to justify it.

Hilton didnt get a lot, they could have figured that out. It wasnt about money, they felt good with Sutton taking over.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And look at the situation they are in now. Hopefully Weidl can work some magic and put together some top tier talent for the trenches.

This! This again!

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017

I seem to remember Hargrave’s play getting better and more consistent as time went on.

He was only being discussed as a potential cap hit problem later on with us due to his improvement.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And they would've had each of their 3 starters on the DL making 11 million or more, that wasn't going to happen while they were paying a franchise QB still, I don't think they wanted to pay Hilton 6 million a year to just play slot CB.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They need to manage their roster better. They keep players too long. Can’t let good talent walk like that. Only excuse is it they are looking for huge. contracts.

They gave Ben a 2 year contract worth 69 million in 2019. They should have been preparing to move on from Ben not giving him a record setting contract at 37 years old. Hard choice to make for sure with your franchise QB that has meant so much to the team but that was a bad contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sentimental contracts rarely, if ever, work out well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with this decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Too sweet :puking:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder why people give #7 a free pass? The Steelers were paying him handsomely
    over these years we are speaking of. Why didn't he, like Tom Brady make a sacrifice so we could have maybe
    an attempt to keep these players?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why hasn't any Qb, but Brady done this????
    Probably because not many Qbs wife's at the time make more money than they do.
    Brady took a huge contract before He was married to her.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Recycling in old players doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless they helped us win playoff games. I'd rather go after young talent and develop into a post season competitive team. We used to build through the draft but lately it seems we're into the blue light specials at KMart at some positions of great need. JMO>

18. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    He was the closest thing to plugging the huge miss we've had since the Big Snack retired (Big Casey Hampton). To me Heyward is great but he fades during games and likely from being overused with minimal rotations, he tires out in the 4th. We've never been great against the run since Casey left. Hargrave always seems to get consistent penetration. We will never be great again until we have great lines on both sides of the ball. Will be competitive yeah, but to rise to the elite levels, nope not in the league today if you have to rely solely on LB's to get to the QB. Your D line has to be able to put consistent pressure on the QB in a passing league.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If I understand what you’re saying, I don’t agree. A good player is a good player. It takes a whole roster to win playoff games, and I wouldn’t hold it against a good player (except maybe a QB) if he hadn’t won in the playoffs yet unless he had a track record of poor postseason play. Also we’ve had some good blue light special contributors in past years. Willie Gay. Bryant McFadden. Those guys popped right into mind as players who returned on inexpensive contracts and contributed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Look at how many poor seasons #7 had his last 2 contracts.
    He didn't win anything. He couldn't carry the team on his back.He was too beat up
    From his previous years playing behind some poor Ol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sacrifice for the team. Look what Mahomes has done.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I bet if they offered Ben 10 years 450million with over 50 million His first year ....He would have jumped at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Oh wait
    Yes for Coke

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don’t think anyone with a pulse would say no to that offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    And the one before that also. He couldn't deliver or carry team. The Steelers over paid #7 for his last 8 years.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1