1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Garrett did it, Tomlin can.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 14, 2014.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    May I refer you to my previous post on the matter, sir. :hello:
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/s...elers-are-soft&p=251931&viewfull=1#post251931

He was 11-5 with Matt Cassell, MATT CASSELL, AS HIS QUARTERBACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Tomlin's been 8-8 and he's poised for another .500 season OR WORSE with one of the best quarterbacks in this era, Ben Roethlisberger, as his field general!

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

So in a passing league we have key guys yet we ignore the next most important key guys...How is that trying to find the right mix ....Sounds like we are trying to make cement with milk to me...

Whoever made the choices to avoid real OT'S and CB'S should have been fired....The mixture will never get right until we realize it takes water to make good cement...Stop trying to mix milk,oil,juice, or whatever get the ingredient that's needed....BPA is B Crap when you are bad at key positions ,,,,,please reach , stretch, jump, do something ,but fill those spots...

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What "real" or top notched OT's and CB's were there when they drafted? The draft is so full of hits and misses that it's almost dumb luck when teams draft a pro-bowler or HOF caliber player.

Some people act like this organization was terrible for the past 15 years. They will eventually get the mixture right again. There are different factors involved when building a winner. It takes patience, understanding, luck, and time.

One of the good things about the NFL is that rosters are basically renewed every 4 or 5 seasons.

There are reasons why teams sometimes choose to take BPA over needs.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And I think the days of BPA over needs are all but gone..Teams that turn it around faster draft fits and needs rather than BPA . The NFL has changed greatly in the past 5 years and I see no reason to believe our old draft strategy will ever work again ....We don't have to have HOF players ,but we deserve better than scrubs .

We could have moved up or down the last 3 or 4 drafts to target key players ...I would make a list of all the OT'S and CB'S we could have got ,but really no need most if not all are better than the ones we have even the 7th. rounders...

5. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    And how do you know any of the bold to be true? Do you have examples of teams that turn it around faster based on what you believe? Do you know for certain that the Steelers had partners that were willing to wheel and deal?

BPA is the strategy that I believe all teams employ. Reaching for needs is a more risky proposition. What varies most of the time are the opinions that organizations consider to be the BPA.

I think you should watch more games so you can get a good idea of how badly other team OT's an CB's perform and get beaten at times.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can do some research and get you Teams that targeted specific spots and types and got good in a hurry...The #1 Team I can think off is Seattle they drafted DB heavy and guys with specific skills...The Cowboys never could get right trying to have Romo as a Franchise QB so they looked at their roster and decided they had a weak spot at Tackle and took what they needed not what most considered BPA at that time...

And of Course we could find trade partners people moving all around us up and down ,we could move had we tried.....The Top 10 is the only true hard spots to move other than that there are Teams who want to come up and Teams who want to go back...

And as far as more games I watch a bunch always have ...From what I see we are at the bottom off the barrel at CB and RT for sure ...I would take #1 CB from any Team and we would probably be better at that position....Same goes for RT...So sure guys get beat it happens ,but getting beat for 4 or 5 seasons and not making a effort to change it is just plain dumb ...

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That 2008 team was loaded, Jack, think it had more to do with that then Castle. And they lost to the only 3 good teams they faced that year; Indy, Chargers and us.

8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The Seahawks didn't get good over night. It took them a few years to build. They had bad records for a 3 or 4 years which enabled them to draft in the top 10 a couple of times. The also made some smart draft picks and were lucky with a few other draft picks. Do you have any other teams to offer??

The Cowboys were not a tackle away from being a good team. Romo isn't a bad QB. He's had his share of goofs in the past but he is playing well up to this point of the season. If Romo morphs into bone headed mistakes and poor play the Cowboys will more than likely fall from grace. We will see if Romo can and the Cowboys can sustain that throughout the season.

It was rumored that the Cowboys wanted to draft Shazier. The Cowboys wanted to improve their defense. I guess they went away from that when the Steelers drafted Shazier. Apparently, the BPA on their board was an offensive player??? I don't believe they simply drafted for need as you do. As I said before teams have different opinions in regard to the BPA on their boards. Everyone doesn't see the same talents in a player.

You don't know if the Steelers had willing trade partners.

Overall, I think Gilbert has played fairly well. He certainly needs to develop a little more consistency in pass protection.

It's very difficult to find the CB's that everyone expects this team to have. I believe they need to find or invest in a pass rusher before a CB. Top CB's are not as valuable as their expensive price tags. Even the best CB's get beaten without a good pass rush.

I'd love to see some of you people get a crack at building an NFL team.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need cover guys so we can blitz or get pressure with 3 or 4 guys...We also need CB'S who can support the run...Until you get that it doesn't matter if you had a all madden DL Teams will still gash you with the run and kill you with PA and quick passes...That looks exactly like the Steelers to me..

One things for sure is you will never get a coverage sack unless you can cover...So I would put together a Team that could play man or man/zone or zone coverage my Team would make my DL look better because we could match up on the back end . My Team could play physical because we could dare people to throw the ball...

This doesn't take elite CB'S or shut down guys it does require players that are adequate at their position at least ...We are so good we are benching the CB we just gave a new contract to_Our poor play on the back end is exactly why QB'S of any stature can pick us apart ..

A 1 A High School QB can pick this group apart ...That's bad drafting no matter how you spin it .....

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As I've said in other threads, I am under no disillusion that we have championship roster right now, and I certainly don't expect Tomlin to be able to produce a trophy with this bunch of players. However, a coach has to make the most of the talent that he has. Again, how is losing to Tampa - at home no less - making the most of what we have? Are we really 28 points worse than the Browns? Losses like these have become a plague for this team the past few seasons. That is not a sign of a team with good leadership at the helm. I would say that the Tampa loss, and the magnitude of the Browns loss, make them the two worst regular season losses of the past decade. This is a team that's supposed to be on the upswing from back to back 8-8 seasons. Prolonged periods of mediocrity are usually reserved for teams with QB issues, not teams with top 10 QBs, a top WR and a top RB. Coaching may not be this team's only problem, but it's moving us further in the wrong direction. I'm not sure how people can't see that.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I do see that as well...My take is that Ben has to much freedom our guys come in not ready to play...Our great DC can't realize that our DB'S suck .. And someone is responsible for allowing this Team to go into the season with JV players at CB ...

So to me as stated it's Colbert the most for drafting and signing JV guys at the most Important position on Defense in todays NFL...All the other Coaches have their share of the blame as well ...

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    To rebuild a team while your winning takes a shrewed GM like the chargers Tom Telesco, he did it with the Colts and he is now doing it with the Chargers, it's no fluke he has strengthened their roster hired the right coach and has the chargers rolling: he managed the colts rebuild and their roster featured 36 new players from the end of the previous year 2012. From a 2-14 season to two 11-5 playoff years is an amazing feat during a rebuild......We need to get a new GM who understands how to rebuild a team, even if it means getting rid of a lot of players, Cards new GM Keim and Bruce Arians got rid of 24 players when they took over the cards and won 10 games in the first year, maybe it's time to make a sweep here and hire a new GM to pick his coach and build the team he and his coach wants....

13. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This really saved me some time.
    Thanks!

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Good post.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, didn't you just spend the same amount of time typing that? :hmmm:

You guys wish Tomlin hasn't done anything yet the way Garrett hasn't done anything yet.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And have took guys for the Defensive Backfield almost every draft ...Some drafts double dipping...The crazy part is they understand you need good players back there ......Someone on the Steelers has no value for Coverage guys ,,,not sure if Colbert , Tomlin or DL or the whole lot of them ,but someone better wake up and wake up quick....

Lots more mobile QB'S coming to the NFL each year and that trend will just keep growing and the more that come the more thin the D will be ....The only way to keep the balance is solid DB'S who can cover and tackle...I have ran the spread and quick read type stuff for like 20 years , so the NFL is starting to look like the ball I played 25 years ago....You can't stop it with Zone or Man/Zone only you have to be able to play man coverage ...

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011