1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 3, 2015.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

One has retired a couple times now, the other is a rookie and another was a 6th round pick. Yet, it's JJ, a first round selection in his 3rd year who is in last place. Not trying to bash on the guy, but I wanted to put it into perspective since we're comparing. I don't think anyone would care that much if he was a 5th round pick. But since he was a first rounder he will be open for criticism.

I had read an article several years ago, might have been ESPN, where they looked at teams who missed on 1st round picks with stats, $$ invloved and such. The conclusion was that teams who missed on their 1st rounders were set back 3 years. And that's really the heart of the situation and why fans really care whether a 1st rounder lives up to their potential.

2. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Umm...

Harrison was DPOY in his 2nd season as a starter.

In Lloyd's second year he had 7 sacks, 3 INTs, 92 tackles, 1 FF, 3 FR.

In Porter's second season he had 10.5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Seems like they all had huge success by year 2 of starting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And to think, Cam Heyward got splinters while the Hood continued to start.

When I heard Tomlin say this I laughed. Yea, he showed his violence in defending the run game :lolol: Solid=Average.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That wasn't your original comment.
    You wanted someone who got 10 sacks every year.

If you are changing the standard for "success" to something more reasonable, that's fine.
    Wanting to see at least one solid season out of the first 2 or 3 (which Jones hasn't done yet) seems like a sensible standard.

What some people are arguing (which I agree with) is that this season is really his 2nd (since last year was wiped out by injury), so until the 16 games are up, we don't know if he will have huge success or not. (Doesn't look like it, but maybe something clicks.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    In support of Jarvis, this time last year he had stats very similar to what Dupree has now. And while Dupree gets a lot of praise for his high ceiling and awesome first step, Jones got a lot of "well, he may not a complete bust but he's gotta keep it up" or some other kind of back-handed compliments. Then he busted up his wrist and that pretty much ruined things.

As a disclaimer, I really like Jarvis and think he could thug it up nicely for us, so I am admittedly at least a little overly optimistic with him. I've also noticed that he's really growing into his "man body" now; maybe it had something to do with working with Harrison and the other guys in AZ. The dude looks really solid, and I think his time will come to make some noise in this attacking defense. Zero sacks through 4 games is disappointing though, no doubt, can't argue against that, and especially for a 1st rounder. I just wanted to highlight how close he was to the other guys, how that one single little sack will put him in contention to lead the OLB's.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

yeah well those were Cowhers guys
    so.....

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

dupree is in his rookie year jarvis was in his second ,anyway since jj is a first rd pick and dupree too they willl never be cut so
    will we see how they developes for the full years of their contracts

8. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    The Steelers primary pass rusher used to play on the opposite side (Kevin Greene & Jason Gildon) ... and Harrison was a backup to Porter.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. JJ just isn't very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Would he be better on the inside or weak outside?

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Harrison also made people account for him and game plan away from him as did Porter and Lloyd. Just because the sack numbers might not show what they really brought to the table.

No question the other guys on defense benefited from those three being beasts!

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And that's what they are doing this year with the opposite side blitzing 4 times more so far this year. Those were Tomlins words.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gotta see more production from a first rounder,unless a light comes on soon, he will never see a large 2nd contract and we know from past experiences that the Steeelers usually do not go for 3rd contracts.
    See Faneca, Joey Porter

13. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    why is Tomlin telling everyone the plan?
    sheesh

14. Lambert's Lunatic58

Lambert's Lunatic58 Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Like many have said, I'm not bashing on "one of our own", but it's interesting to read what some are saying. Comparing Jarvis and Dupree. Jarvis is in his 3rd year, technically 2nd, I get that. Dupree has played 4 games. Dupree has better stats. Slightly better, I admit, but better. When Dupree is in, you hear his name called, meaning he's in the action. I don't know that's I've heard Jones' name called more than when they list the starting lineup. That says a lot. There has been a change defensively this year, so that might factor in, but if a "switch" doesn't flip in the next game or two, then you have to start wondering if it ever will.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, Tomlin's the coach so....

Pro Football Focus has Jones rushing more than any outside linebacker, 47% of the time. And forget about sacks, he has ZERO quarterback pressures and only 9 tackles through one quarter of the season (Shazier had 15 IN A GAME!).

Sorry, Tomlin. I'm still concerned. I understand you're supporting your guy and I'm okay with that, but sooner or later JJ is going to have to produce.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Yes. A ROLB in the Steelers scheme should get 10 sacks per year.

In Greg Lloyd's 2nd season no passer attempted 600 passes. Only 6 attempted 500.

Last year 10 QBs attempted 582+ passes.

Also, was it a 4-3 scheme in 89?

Bottom line is with 100+ more passes per season, and that many more chances at a sack, a player who is in the most important position to get sacks needs to produce 10 per season.

10 sacks on 600 pass attempts seems reasonable. That is a sack on .017% of pass attempts.

Harrison was good for ten sacks except for his first season (8.5 + 7 FF) and his last (6 in 13 games)... But since Jones isn't a 34 y/o w/ back problems... I feel he should do better.

I don't care who it is but the Steelers need a player who can be at least top 20 in sacks at ROLB.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think JJ started 2 years at Georgia, he had 28.5 sacks in his last 2 seasons.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes he did, 14 games in 2011 and 12 games in 2012

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

I have seen plenty of references to it, and get the general idea of what it is...

My question is, How do you get access to it?

It seems to me that, that TTF can see it, and, MAYBE other members on this board,(just a guess, on that)...

I have seen some "Chalkboard" type breakdowns, on plays once in a while, on a link from one of our members,

But, Is there a place, where "casual" fans, can view "Coach`s Tape"? I.E. "the all 22"?

GO STEELERS!

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

NFL Game Pass is one place I know they carry it. There is a subscription price however. Not sure how much though. There may be others. Anyone else know?

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think it's like $79.99 or somewhere in that range. I didn't get it this year, but it's pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's the only place AFAIK. I forget how much it was this year.

23. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanx for the replies... A bit pricey for me, when I would have no practical use for it, not like I write a blog, or anything...

Just would be interesting to see, and I was wondering if there was a "youtube"-type version of it somewhere, for fans to check out..

I don`t even usually watch replays of games I have DVR`d, to zero in on a player...
    The network broadcasts are kinda useless for that..
    It would just be neat to see what each player does, on each play...
    Not just where the camera follows the ball..

Thanks again for the answers... I had a feeling it was an exclusive thing..
    But it never hurts to ask...

GO STEELERS!!!

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I can do this for you, Bleed. Any particular player(s)?

25. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    A lot of them, actually, at different times..

Harrison, I usually just wanna see, to see if he is being "held", and just because he`s one of my fave players...

I`ve been interested to see how well Cody is filling in for Pouncey,(off network camera)...

I`m always interested to see Heath carry out his blocking assignments..(or route running, when he`s not thrown to).

On defense, I would like to see how often Heyward is double-teamed, and how he deals with it..

Tuitt, strikes me as having a high motor, so, it would be interesting to see how he pursues the ball, after the play develops...

Obviously, The Man the thread is about, bears a look, I`m luke-warm on Jones, at the moment...

Hoping he progresses, and recognizing he is young..

It would be more a toy for me, than a tool...

But, if you can shed any light on the first couple ideas, I threw out, It would be appreciated.

At any given time, during a game, there are always, certain players I wish I could watch, given the situation the team is in...

When they aren`t "involved in the play/being followed by the camera"...

But those change from game to game, and sitch to sitch...

I was just throwing out a couple general ideas,

If you wanna post video in a thread, or PM me, on the players I called out, I would digg that.:thumbs up:

GO STEELERS!!:yeehaw: