1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

that was so good you had to post it twice huh ? lol

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Stats from NFL.com and defensive snap counts (through 3 weeks) from Football Outsiders:

Harrison: 113 snaps, 15 tackles, 1 sack
    Dupree: 100 snaps, 11 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jones: 89 snaps, 9 tackles, 0 sacks
    Moats, 86 snaps, 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks

If Jones gets a sack he's about as productive, statistically speaking, as the other OLB's on the roster. I thought he'd have more sacks at this point in the season, but I'm in no way ready to give up on the guy. I think the Ziggy Hood career arc is a fair comparison to make, with a higher ceiling than Ziggy's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Statistically speaking Steelers are #4 right now for sacks so as a team we are doing alright but yeah Jarvis needs to start meeting at the QB

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Jack what are you basing your performance reviews on? Is it on what your thoughts on the position are, your thoughts on what a first round draft pick should be, the position expectations as discussed by the board, talking heads, staff press conferences? You say he is underperforming but compared to what? If you mean as compared to where Woodley was in year 3 then that is an unfair comparasion, compared to Von Miller in year three then perhaps yes.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, that draft was just plain not very inspiring for any team. Just the names taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds don't really pop out as clear hits for anyone, there's a few blue chips in there, but on the whole no real standouts (Bell and Lacy being exceptions). That's crazy!

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he has gotten stronger since then, he came to camp 15 lbs heavier. IMO he needs to get more snaps, so the Steelers know what kind of player he can become. It's going to be hard for JJ to be more productive only playing 25 snaps a game.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Posted in jest. No political leaning here, just thought it was fitting....

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think they didn't want him heavier though, just stronger. Looks like he's getting better bend and counter moves this year. If he continues to improve he could be a solid player. He was a little older when drafted though.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm basing it on nothing more than what I observe as I watch the games and what I read. Admittedly, I'm no expert but I just see a guy who looks like he's overmatched much of the time. I've seen him make a good play here and there but I've seen as much out of Vince Williams. I just expected more out of a number 17 overall draft pick who was highly touted coming out of college.

Out of curiosity what do you think, thorn? As a fan, are you satisfied with what you've seen out of JJ at this point? Has he lived up to his billing? What are your observations about his performance? I'm seriously starting to believe that his spinal stenosis may be more serious than we know.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Well I don't give any thought to draft status, Ive seen guys highly touted as first round picks never develop and I have seen sixth rounders that have blossomed. Starting with the Thursday night opener I called Jarvis out because I wanted him to show me that he deserved to wear the #95, silly I know but still. To this point my expectations for him are to continue to show improvement while contributing on defense. He has showed some good overall improvement as PWP talked about. Here is what I'm seeing when he is on the field that perhaps others aren't looking at. It was either versus SF or St Louis he drew the attention of Oline member who proceeded to slam into his linemate in an attempt to provide pass protection this allowed Shazier to get around the edge and sack the QB. I have seen him get into the backfield and disrupt the play, he might not sack the QB but he is causing the handoff to happen under duress. He has shown a good bull rush and the ability to shed the block as he bull rushes if not for some holds he is in on the QB. He is a guy that doesn't give up on the play and will track the RB down the line. The times I have seen him mauled by the Oline that some refer to it looks less like he is beat and more like he is holding his position that might be my perception since I'm not looking at it long and tend to follow the ball. I have watched him set the edge in run support only to have guys miss the tackle or get up field and break contain which then makes it look like he is getting taken to the woodshed by his man. He has made mistakes but the whole defense is young and making those. At this point I am happy that he is taking a man away from dbl teams on Heyward and Tuitt since they can beat their man. At this point I want to see how a year with Porter and playing time does for him as well as Dupree pushing him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    @JackAttack 5958 at this point my expectations are not for him to be Woodley in his prime or even Kevin Greene, what I'm looking for is more rounded development that makes him into a threat from either side, rushing the passer, stuffing the run and playing coverage if need be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, thorn. You make some good observations there. In spite of what some may believe, I truly hope that JJ develops into a solid contributor. We're 25% through the year. He's got 75% of the year remaining to make a positive impression. I'm rooting for him.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd settle for Kevin Greene. LOL.

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Serviceable. I still think it was a Darryl Sims or Aaron Jones type pick. Some potential but nothing worthy of the 1st round pick.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    chick and dupree may be the next great steeler tandum at some point.:dancing::smiley1::cool:

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ziggy did almost nothing for the Jags last season and he is on IR this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the league before long.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Chick really looks like he was used very wrong at Miami. They had him gain weight and made him just eat blockers. He really might be a little Kevin Greene at OLB! I really want to see how he improves. If he gets on the active roster and gets playing time this year he could blow up!

18. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    There's a reason why he doesn't get more snaps. You have to earn them. Teams are in the business of winning, not of developing individual players.

And anyone waiting for JJ to develop is in serious denial. He was drafted despite his limitations because he was "a football player". Well guess what? All those limitations have come home to roost. He isn't good enough, and he has little upside due to those limitations.

19. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Pretty much everyone is misused at the U. That's why talent isn't equating to wins, and banner planes are flying over every game calling for Al Golden's head.

20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Putting down Harrison, because of the decline of most other 36 year olds, is a mistake.
    Even if he can't reach All-Pro level anymore, he is still a helluva player.

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Harrison had a total of 4 sacks in his first 3 years.
    In his six years as a full time starter (before 2013), he had less than 10 sacks in 3 of 6 years.

Joey Porter, in his seven years as a full time starter (before 2006), had less than 10 sacks in 5 of 7 years.

Greg Lloyd, in his seven years as a full time starter (before 1996), had less than 10 sacks in 6 of 7 years.

I'm not saying that JJ is anywhere close to these three players.
    I'm pointing out that you are expecting something that these 3 All-Pro players were not even close to achieving.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think he is what his draft scouting report said he was:

WEAKNESSES
    One-year starter. Inconsistent using his hands to disengage from better blocks and to beat cut blocks from running backs in pass protection. Lacks an ideal frame to get much bigger and doesn't have the growth potential or the bulk teams want at the position. Will need to prove he can stay with NFL ball carriers in space when dropping into the flat. Not particularly smooth in deep drops. Doesn't have elite bend around the corner, and could use a spin or other counter move to keep tackles guessing. Missed the last five games of the 2009 season with a neck injury, part of his senior year in high school with a broken thumb. There is some concern about his long-term durability due to his spinal stenosis condition, the same ailment that has caused some players to call it quits, including Marcus McNeill, Chris Samuels and Michael Irvin.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Tomlin said today Jones rush opportunities have been limited due to the Steelers rushing the LOLB more but he is impressed with his work in the run game and has shown violent and heavy hands.

24. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Oh ohhh, just blew up some arguments with truth. :lolol: