1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 3, 2015.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, also saw him play in college, mostly against Florida. Agree over drafted and I believe we've seen what we got with JJ. Okay for a third or fourth rounder but not so good 1st rounder. Dupree already shows more upside and Shazier shows what a first rounder should be playing like and have the impact that he has.

2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    maybe....
    the problem is the conference
    SEC is terrible for professional players

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You know saying that down here will get you killed. LOL.

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    what is 22 brethren?

5. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    This thread is unbelievable. So many people sticking up for Jarvis.

I think we can all agree that Dupree has only been marginial to this point with some big runs given up to his side and limited pass rush. No one is overwhelmed to his play to this point. That being said....

After 4 games Bud Dupree is 1 sack behind Jarvis Jones career sack total.

Let that sink in.

Steelers need a ROLB who can hit 10 sacks every year or they need to keep looking.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    If he was a 4th rounder he would be off the team already.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I saw in the tape as well. Overdrafted, he was there when Pittsburgh picked for a reason.

Not sure what they could have taken as far as LB as I don't see any Pro bowl LB's taken in the whole draft and the next Steelers pick was Bell.

Maybe Eric Reed as a safety would have been a better pick?

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone else noticed the obsession.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Looking back at that draft is painful. Reed or one of a few OL would have been far better picks IMO.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    nobody has a crystal ball unfortunately lol

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is just not great in any one area.He has a good skill set not a strong one. The key will be for him to get much better above the neck to use that versatility . The best of the best know how to use and play with leverage, JJ is hit and miss. As this goes so will his career .

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wavered between Desmond Trufant and DeAndre Hopkins, but mostly wanted Hopkins. I don't remember liking any LBers that high.

But how about Baltimore's pick - Matt Elam. A big swing and miss. I think he's 3rd on their depth chart.

13. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I was never thrilled with the pick but was hopeful. He's definitely gotta make some noise this year or I'll consider him a bust. This D is set up for those outside LB's to produce and so far we are getting very little out of him.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    he is referring to the people who have access to the "all 22" game tape.

15. steelraynm

steelraynm Member

Sep 15, 2015
    i'M SORRY BUT jARVIS IS A 1ST RD BUST. How long will these so called coaches keep playing him. Hell, Howard Jones is better than JJ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some just have more patience. Ive seen him do some good things, Ill give him more time to do it on a consistent basis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone else noticed how curt, snarky and passive aggressive you are when someone posts something that you disagree with.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah...definitely have. Not sure why we cant all just offer an opinion without the insults. It's a message board. If there are topics that are off limits, then lets freaking post them - otherwise, if you are sick of reading about JJ, then just don't click on the thread. Its really not that hard.

Having said that, I think we can all agree that JJ has underperformed up until this point.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah...definitely have. Not sure why we cant all just offer an opinion without the insults. It's a message board. If there are topics that are off limits, then lets freaking post them - otherwise, if you are sick of reading about JJ, then just don't click on the thread. Its really not that hard.

Having said that, I think we can all agree that JJ has underperformed up until this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah honestly, Glenn is the exact same animal as ReelSteel, the guy he rips on incessantly. Newsflash: Being overly pessimistic (ReelSteel) is every bit annoying as being blindly optimistic (Glenn). If you can't take people making honest observations about your favorite team without having to shame them for being negative, maybe football discussion forums aren't the place for you. All you have to do is watch football to see that Jarvis does not pass the eye test at all, he's a first round pick and this organization almost can't afford him to be a failure, but he sure looks like one from where I sit on Sundays.

• Like Like x 1
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    1 More attempt . The all 22 shows a guy with a good first step. The 22 shows a guy who plays with some power.The tape shows a guy who sort of understands leverage.

That last line is the key , he is not a speed demon he is not a powerhouse ,but he has enough of both to be very effective if he can master the leverage game. At this time he is best suited to a 4 or 5 man front ,but he still can get better if he chases his craft .

He needs work against both sides and he needs work against multiple types of Tackles, I think if he can stay healthy this entire season we will have a much clearer picture than we do now.

Leverage is his key. Can he learn it?

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't necessary disagree with your criticism of JJ, just trying to understand why you do it as much as you do that's all.
    Not trying to start a war with you Jack.

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Then why the shots over the bough, Glenn? I'm certainly not interested in a war with you or anyone else but I do honestly make an effort to offer valid criticisms of players or coaches when I observe them and I think TTF has created the perfect venue for allowing each of us to do that. There's no need to belittle or denigrate what others are posting with snide comments that offer no valid point or counter point. I can handle anyone disagreeing with anything I post on here, but when there appears to be an effort to simply ridicule someone's opinion, that crosses the line IMHO. I enjoy the debate, the back and forth and the disagreements. I have them all the time with Blast but he respectfully expresses his opinion which is usually counter to mine and I reciprocate with the same kind of respect (at least I hope he thinks so, lol).

That's what is so great about this message board, we can all agree to disagree and still be rabid Steeler fans at the end of the day. I don't consider myself to be overly optimistic nor overly pessimistic and understand the frustration with those two extremes. I try to keep it in the middle of the road as much as I can and admittedly may skew toward pessimism at times as many seem to do on a message board, but that's how many of us blow off steam after a bad loss or underperformance or poor coaching or whatever. I don't understand why we can't have open and honest discussion about our opinions without going out of the way to attack someone else's position simply because they may disagree with our own viewpoints.

The fact of the matter is, whether you want to admit it or not, JJ is underperforming. I don't think I've obsessively posted about that on this board as you allege but I have been somewhat critical of his performance at times. I don't have a vendetta against JJ and as a Steeler fan, I'm rooting like crazy for him to succeed. But as the weeks go by and he fails to deliver the goods, I get concerned. I just call it like I see it and if you see it a different way that's fine. I'd just request that you make your case without the underhanded insults.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  24. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    :thumbsdown: get that out of the way
    :duel:

the man has 9 tackles in how many snaps played (137)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh never heard of it. Thank you