1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Oct 3, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Couldn't agree more. Hated this pick and saw nothing from his college tape that was impressive. I think his career will parallel Ziggy Hood in some respects. Not a bust but very underwhelming for a first rounder. He's an average OLB. The debate about "its his 3rd year, but only his 2nd playing" is not a solid one for me to give him the benefit of doubt. He came from a 3-4 defense in GA and played OLB. He was not suppose to be a project, like some DE convert. We are still only 4 games into his 3rd/2nd year, but if his performance for the rest of the year is like this, I think we've seen the most JJ has to offer.

Why is JH92 still getting more snaps? JJ knows the defense and was healthy all TC and preseason except for some minor things. If JJ was picked in the second round I probably would be fine with his role and performance here. Guess I'm more critical of 1st rounders than most.

I didn't like the college tape of Dupree much either, but at least he has the physical tools to aid him in his role as an OLB. Kentucky only switched to the 3-4 in 2014, his last year and it was used primarily on run defense. JJ just didn't have the measurables as seen at the combine. I feel the Steelers should have looked at his tape more to see how he got his production. Like you said strummer, he benefited from other things besides his skillset. And I'm sure they did go back and look at the tape, I'm just not sure how they came to their conclusion.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What I'm curious about is were most of his really productive games against scrub teams like a lot of SEC teams are prone to play? Or did he put up big numbers against really high caliber opponents? I don't watch college football really so that's why I ask.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was irritated with the Dupree pick simply because KY is so awful at football that I figure anyone that looks good there is just because the people around him are so bad. I have talked to people that love KY though and they say Dupree is legit and after talking to them I felt a ton better about the pick. I hope they are right.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    For me (distinctly a non-film room view), Jones is currently at a Ziggy Hood level in terms of consistency of performance. But there seems much more of a ceiling, and more visible improvement.

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    ceiling hood?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not sure why, he basically red shirted last year. If this was indeed a true 3rd season for him, I'd have to start agreeing, likewise if its the same by the end of this season.

But, I think he has been playing better overall so I expect his play to continue to improve. Dont forget, that was a serious injury he suffered, he could still be dealing with the effects of that too.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He's a bust for a first rounder but doesn't mean he should be written off just yet.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I feel a lot better about the pick now too. I didn't like the pick at first based on what I saw from his film. Although I did like the amount of time Dupree spent dropping in coverage. He has some experience there which helps him here. I guess in a round about way, I was comparing JJ to Bud. I wasn't enthralled with either pick, but Bud's play so far has me optimistic where JJ's play has me feeling like we could have done better going in a different route.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    When I was looking at Jarvis coming out, my first thought was that the Dline he played next to at Georgia was really REALLY good. They were the real stars of that team. And a lot of sacks did seem to be coverage sacks. You hardly saw him speed rush a guy or use some good handwork. Then he had the bad workout numbers.

It makes you wonder if he just coasts on his athleticism and really loves football they way you need to become really good in this league.

He may never have a lot of sacks, but he does seem good at some of the other stuff.... batting balls down, forcing/recovering fumbles?

If Jarvis can become a good run defender I think him and Dupree should switch sides of the field. Dupree has an initial burst much like prior Steelers pass rushers...

Then again Heyward and Tuitt seem like our pass rusher now, how many sacks do our OLB's really need?

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    bust is strong even for me. I probably threw it around describing Hood once or twice, but in all reality if they are a starter for a couple seasons are they really a bust? Jamain Stephens was a bust. I give that label to guys who just never seem to contribute. I can't think of a quick term to call them except under achieving for their draft status.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only thing I would disagree with here, turtle, is the part about his career being on par with Ziggy Hood's. I believe JJ's bust potential is greater based on what we've seen thus far and on how highly touted he was coming out of college. At one point, Kiper Jr. had him projected to be the number one overall draft pick. Many other analysts described him as a "plug and play" 3-4 OLB. They went on and on about how the Steelers got the steal of the draft when he dropped to number 17. Ziggy was a late first rounder who didn't have those kinds of accolades. I'm not calling it yet, but if JJ doesn't turn this thing around quickly, we may have a major bust on our hands.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He could be, it kinda sucks judging without knowing that info

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Now youre saddling him with what talking heads have said pre draft? He was taken 17th, he wasnt the number 1 pick or even a top 10.

Major bust, now a bust isnt enough, now its a major bust were going to have to label him if he fails :smiley1:

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    *through loudspeaker*

Sir, please exit the Polyanna-mobile!

Now, slowly drop the rose colored glasses!

Hands in the air and back toward the sound of my voice, the voice of reason!

Now down on your knees and hands on top of your head, shake vigorously until you can think objectively.

Until then, you're under arrest for first degree denial!

You have the right to remain silent. (Please)

;) :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not a good reason Randall Cobb of Green Bay played at KY and he's a good player.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm just curious which level of bust he will grow to next in your obsession. It started with bust, now major bust, super colossal bust maybe? :hmm: :hehehe:

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah he's awesome actually. I'm not saying all their players are bad but just that in general they're not known as a big "football" school. When I think of KY I think more Tim Couch than I do Randall Cobb. What's funny is Randall Cobb played about 20min from Neyland Stadium in high school and the clowns there didn't even sign him and he wound up at KY. People around here are still mad about that.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm hoping for a Canton Bust.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbs up:

20. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    drug test

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wasn't sold on the pick when we chose him in the draft. When I looked at his college tape, he rarely beat an offensive tackle for a sack. He was either unblocked, working on a TE or RB. That was a red flag for me. I hope he comes around but in my gut he will never be spectacular but rather a "Jason Worlds" type.

22. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    retired ?

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Obsession? Great song from the 80s but I have no obsession with JJ. I have a major concern at this point that he'll pan out. I'm not ready to call him a bust at this point but he does appear to be heading in that direction.

I think the coaching staff may be losing confidence in him. This is a pretty telling article to me and discusses the disparity in his snap count versus Harrison's, especially as the game wore on and each series became more critical:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ravens-could-point-to-end-of-the-olb-rotation

But you're obviously okay with where JJ is and that he can't seem to beat out a 36 year old former retiree and seize the ROLB position.

So...we'll agree to disagree again.:shrug:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Nah. Just good enough to last his contract and it will be debatable if he is resigned or his 5 year option picked up. Jason Worlds had his moments but he only lasted because we didn't have anyone else, we lost a lot of people at the position and he was just good enough to keep around. Even if he didn't retire I don't think we would of offered him a long term deal. When JJ contract is up, i doubt he will be retained.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Every week I find it more and more difficult to see Jones ever being a big time sack producing ROLB. He may evolve into a quality starter, but there's still mucho improvement needed to be the lead pass rusher. I doubt he'll ever be a guy who commands double teams.

Dupree on the other hand, may become great. Like 15+ sacks per season great. He's light years ahead of where I thought he'd be 4 games into his rookie season.

• Agree Agree x 2