1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spartacus, May 27, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's all in good fun spartacus. we are all waiting to see a full season from the kid and we can't just keep drafting OLB'ers every year. the kid has some goods and it's time to show them. year 3 is usually the year things happen for players. we have a very nice mix right no at OLB so we should be in good shape on the edges.:cool:

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, fair enough a guy doesn't need to look strong to be strong. But so far he has looked weak and played weak. Hope to see him play stronger this year, but I got to see it to believe it, simply because he hasent shown it yet. This is his year and he has to shine so that we can stop talking about his strength. Let's not forget about his combine reps and how bad they were. He needed to go a long way to get NFL ready.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I read somewhere the players are having trouble understanding coach Butz' southern draw... maybe Jarvis was having trouble understanding it...

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He was born and raised in Georgia. I can't imagine it being too much of a problem. :shrug:

Aside from that, he's been his linebacker's coach for the past 2 years, so he'd have to be used to it by now.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. Which is why, in year three (first working out with James Harrison), I'm expecting to see an improvement on the field, even if we can't see it in a still photo of him standing there.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wonder if the spinal stenosis diagnosis has a part to play in him bulking up. Maybe the medical staff advised him to not do the crazy high weight/low rep workouts which you see JH92 and VW98 posting on instagram, etc. I'm no doctor and did not stay at a holiday inn express, all I know is that the spine is narrowed IIRC.

Typically most bodybuilders will tell you legs are the hardest part to add size. Either way I'm not too concerned with the looks of his physique. Look at Anderson Silva in the UFC, he certainly doesn't look like Clubber Lang but his punches were lethal. Technique and desire can trump some power deficiencies. Whether JJ does that or not remains to be seen.

I do like the fact that he's working out with the LB crew this offseason and hope he continues to hone his craft.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Maybe I need to sit a little closer to the monitor, but I can't even see his eyes.

8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont kno why but for some reason i think JJ is the type of guy/ player to do Just enough on the field, to make the team,,, Maby it has something to do with what he goes buy on tritter," sackmaster 95" :rolleyes: or some nonsence like that..

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would not read much into a photo of JJ having conversations with our new dc.. I think sometimes people are way too hard on this kid. Sure he is a first round pick and yeah he has not lived up to his potential however when you are out with injury IMHO that does not count... Of course if you are injury prone and can't stay on the field than that is an entirely different issue. He is in his 3rd year of a rookie contract. He will show his true colours and worth this season.

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought you were going to say....how small he looks. The weights are there for a purpose Jones... Use them!

11. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He's been working out with Harrison for a month. According to Dulac in the PG when asked if he looks bigger and stronger "Can't tell about stronger. Won't know that until they put on pads and he has to go against an offensive lineman. But he looks bigger -- thicker in the upper torso. I didn't think that at all last year when he reported for his second season."

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can tell it's the off-season fans are over analyzing players based on a photo :facepalm:

14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Or he might have been farting when Butler was talking to him Mac