1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones vs NE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Media has written about, haven't seen intentioned, but for all the flack he's taken he played very well today. Off the end he created a lot of pressure, and we haven't had much this year. Jones, has had some other nice games this season , so maybe we will finally see him turn it up the second half of the year? As a unit the D has been limited due to the multiple injuries they've had, but Jones picked it up today

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's turned it up a notch. See if the sacks come but he's definitely playing better. Takes some players longer than others.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yep. JJ is starting to get it. I'd like to see Moats get there as well.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Apparently he played well against Solder lastt year too.

It probably has to do with Solder being so tall Jarvis doesnt need to work too hard to get leverage on him.

That said i think its time to let Silverback sit. We need to see what we have and Harrison hasnt added much so far this year.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The best I have seen him play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He played a very good game.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There was a point last night when I was thinking: "Landry is throwing well, Jarvis is making plays, they're running a balanced offense and the secondary is covering well. There are going to be a lot of guys on the forum with severe headaches trying to process this."

Then the 4th quarter happened and... well...

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He played okay. Better in the pass rush department then I ever seen. But that's not saying much. He sucked on setting the edge on containment. The pass two games they attacked our right side and it folded like a chair. I know Heyward is missing and we are starting a rookie but his run defense needs work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Would have been intriguing just to see how the forum would respond to a Steelers win....

.... however.. we will never know that considering the events have already transpired.

11. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    He's a 4-3 OLB miscast in our defense. He can't rush the passer, but he can tackle pretty well. He'd probably be a standout in New England because they would only use him for things he does well.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, hopefully he is finally starting to get it. My only concern with him is that coming out he had some weaknesses that aren't so easy to fix. He was lacking strength and doesn't really have the frame to add much size in order to get a lot stronger. It's much harder to address that then a technique issue.

13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, I was really happy with what I saw from Jarvis yesterday.

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I thought Shazier looked out of position on the long run. Hargrave was taking on the double team nicely and Shazier ran into the block on the inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He had a good game, my grade for Butler after 7 games is a F.....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We are among the worst 5 defenses in the NFL and you give him a C?

I like Butler. I really thought he was going to take this defense to the next level when he took over control last season. All I am seeing from Butler so far is that DL knew what he was doing. We took an obvious step backwards when DL left. I thought OK , now that Butler has a year of experience running the defense we'll at least be respectable. I'd be happy for a 15th ranked defense. really happy. We should not be this bad. We've had less talent on defense before and still ranked in the top half of the league. We only need mediocrity from this defense but we are getting failure. Teams are running all over us. We can't pressure the QB, we struggle creating turnovers, oh and were 30th in the league against the pass.

This is Mike Tomlin's defense. The last time Mike lead a defense, his Vikings were dead last in the NFL against the pass.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There,I changed it to a F, hope that makes you feel better, it does for me...

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    No doubt he is playing better, but its still not at the level or consistency that we need at OLB. I know we aren't blitzing, but I never remember such a clear lack of pass rush by our front 7. We don't have Heyward, but there is nothing. Oh, and our run defense is also really bad. I think our D-Line is worse than last year, when we actually had a nose tackle in McClendon (and I was always a detractor of him). McCullers hasn't stepped up, Hargraves is still a rookie and isn't doing anything, Matthews is a backup, Tuitt is supposedly good and looks the part, but where is he?

I have no problem saying that we have not had a great DE since Aaron Smith, and obviously we haven't had a great DT since Hampton.

As for LBs, Timmons gets a lot of crap because he can't cover crossing routes by himself from opposing team's best players, but he is always on the field and is the anchor. He and Harrison were the only players that I felt comfortable that could actually bring down Blount last night by themselves.

No pass rush from the OLBs. Jones seems to be getting marginally better, but he will be gone next year.

I guess I am just used to great defensive players that were consistently great, like young Harrison, Polamalu, Farrior, Smith, Hampton. We never replaced those guys.

19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    people have not liked it...but he has been our best OLB and top 5 player on our defense all year. Timmons, Shazier, Cam, Tuitt, Jarvis.

HACK

20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Well, there's only 11 guys back there, including a rookie CB and S from the scrap heap. Some could argue he would be knocked down a notch or two, which would put him in the bottom half of a bad D. Guess my point is, that's not too impressive.

21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    But the difference between Shazier, Cam and Jarvis...is Jarvis is has played in every game. I think Tuitt is having a quiet year from what I hoped he would have....and Timmons is Timmons.

I would say Jones is currently the second best player on out defense...and might slide to 4th with Cam and Shazier back. Jarvis has been playing good football this year.

If you watch Ajayi long game sealing TD in Miami...Jarvis came from the far side of the field and was the only Steeler on the screen when Ajayi crossed the line.....Did he make a TD saving tackle?...no...but he showed the most heart and effort chasing down a RB on a play he should not have been needed on.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012