1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones- panic button time?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Aug 24, 2014.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Amen brother!!

2. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I said it last yr, he will never be a great olb, just avg. His combination of speed and power leave alot to be desired. Nothing has chg. He is better fit for inside, but now we don't need ilb. He may get bigger over time, but you would have thought he would have gotten the message this past off season. Unfortunately he will never be fast, just slower over time.

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm getting the feeling that JJ will be the next 1st rd pick that we don't re-sign. He has several subpar characteristics, and no exceptional ones.

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

i believe you answered your own question when you acknowledged the eagles' o-line quality

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

I agree of giving him a fair shake but we drafted him in the 1st round to get to the quarterback. Bottom line. If your outside linebackers can't get to quarterback in a 3-4 you are in trouble.

I would feel better if he showed flashes. But I just haven't seen it yet.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Indeed, they have a pretty good O line, much less team! Kelley really has these dudes in sync! Being an Oregon fan, I didn't know how he would hold up in the bigs, but it seems he'll be okay. Would be nice to have a technician as a coach around here, and not a guy who just lets folks do their thing. Tomlin isnt really a good manager in my opinion. He seems to be a buddy, and while he may get some things out of his troops, he isn't revered!

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    One Rookie season in a Defense that doesn't start Rookies and he's already being considered a bust. Let's not forget we had Worlids, Woodley and a chance to resign Harrison and yet the Rookie starts in DL's defense?
    Give the guy a break already!

8. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    His physical attributes aren't going to change.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So what, as long as his play improves that's all I'm worried about.
    He may turn out to be a bust, but no one is expert enough around here to make that call right now. Sure we can all make predictions, but no one knows for sure.
    Bottom line, the guy needs at least one more season before anyone gets that worried and at least two before we start throwing around the "BUST" term.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You gotta give a player 3 years before you can call a player a bust. He showed he has an inside move now which he was lacking last year. I think towards the middle year he will really come into his own and there will be no looking back from there.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What is lost in this thread is how piss poor Worild's did from this side last season and his spot duty there as well. Worilds is holding the team hostage for what ten million this season based entirely on his performance from the left side in the last eight games. He has sat out most of camp and missed time in OTA's and as far as I have seen he hasn't stood out in the three games thus far yet no one is calling him a bust. He couldn't hack it from the right side either. I don't care how strong a player is until the NFL does away with reach your arm across the OLB's collarbone and grab his shoulder pad hold player are going to have trouble beating the LT. If they at least start calling it holding you might see Jarvis's contributions go up.

12. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well if he doesn't work out, we will draft 10 more LBs next year and the year after. One of them is bound to pan out by shear probability.

13. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    A lot of fans say that about Troy. This surprises me. I thought he showed plenty his rookie year. For some reason the only play that comes to mind for me was a play he made where he actually overran the play. But he reached back and still defended the pass. That play stuck in my mind. How often do you even see any safety coming across and getting to the WR before he catches the pass. But on this deep pass down the right side Troy actually got there and passed the WR. He reached back and blocked the pass. I just looked at his rookie stats. I know he played very little but he did get in the games. He defended 4 passes. In the championship year 2005 he defended 6 passes starting all 16 games.

But, I only remember that one play and I'm sure he must have made plenty of rookie mistakes and those plays I forgot. Frankly, I think he was covering better then. :smiley1:

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't disagree. I would have thought that with all of the opportunities he had to rush the quarterback last season that he would have managed more than one unspectacular sack. But let's see if he's able to take the next step this year. I'm not expecting double digit sacks but 6-8 sacks this season would be a nice showing.

15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I liked the draft pick then, and I still think its a good pick. I watched him at camp and he was definitely getting pushed around. I just think he needs some help with his technique- which should come in time.

16. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Small, slow, and weak, generally don't lead to improved play. His athleticism is subpar, and his instincts aren't great. He's also not the most physical/aggressive guy out there. He lacks the attributes that usually help a player overcome a lack of size/speed/athleticism.

17. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    6 sacks would not be a nice showing. We rely on our OLBs to get to the QB. If they aren't getting there regularly, our defense is going to suck.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not worried about Worilds he will lead the team in sacks with 10 or more.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they did sign Harrison I don't think it would be to start him.

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is so funny around here sometimes. Howard Jones is the board darling, but other than recover fumbles he has done LESS against LESS quality competition than J. Jones. Let's wait until we are actually putting in some kind of package with an attempt to stop the other team before we panic. Let's not forget that the other team's best OL should be their LT. That is who this still very inexperienced guy is going against. He typically would not have been starting last year, but we handed him the job. Let's be patient for a change around here.

21. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Jones was pick 17 in the first round
    Ogletree was pick 30 in the first round.
    We could have taken Ogletree or Arthur Brown, Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Matt Elam, Tyler Eifert(though he was not likely to be taken by us) or any other number of players that have outperformed Jones so far.

Bottom line is he was selected and needs to improve faster than the rate that he has been going at to help turn the defense around. I seem to remember before the draft he was being compared to Terrell Suggs with his predraft workouts/poor 40 times. The big difference there is that Suggs was productive from the start. Jones has not been so far.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would have more confidence in JJ if he showed up to camp bigger and stronger, he's the same size as last season and will probably get manhandled again by O-linemen.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    My memory of it was that folks didn't like how he over-committed to plays, and hence either made a spectacular tackle or a spectacular miss and gave up a big play.

As I recall, it was far from a majority view on the old messageboard, but a bigger minority than, say, the view that Maddiox should start over Ben a few years later.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    a 325 pound OL with good feet and technique
    against a 240lb olb with marginal speed and size
    and STRENGTH. This is a MISMATCH.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Seems as if some folks around here would give up all our draft picks from the first three rounds in favor of seventh rounders and UDFA's.
    Jarvis Jones started about half the games in his rookie season that's something that doesn't happen around here very often in this defense. And he beat out a guy that we just put the franchise tag on and are paying $9 million a year (Worlids)
    On the other end of the spectrum we have a guy like McLendon, an UDFA who's been here for four years and his play is average at best, yet we practically hand this guy the keys to the city! Why are these UDFA's hoisted up on our shoulders while guys like Jarvis are handed a message board beat down daily?