1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones haters beware

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Sep 20, 2016.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    http://www.steelers.com/news/press-...injuries/0cd85cc2-1a7f-4a0b-8b3c-611a265426d5

I do believe there could be more playing time in the future from Mister Jarvis Jones so get your pj's and your haterade ready its going to be a long and bumpy season.

Plan for James Harrison going forward.
    Harrison.jpg

Victory Tuesday fun brought to you by your friendly neighborhood me lol

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Never "hated" on Jarvis, but I will admit, I was not impressed so far....

Still am not..

I`m glad he is getting more of a chance to prove me wrong.

I was just ragging on him, when he made a mistake in the Cincy game.
    I forget exactly what, but one of my friends said, " Wern`t you just saying he should be better by now?!?"...

Yeah, for where we drafted him, and based on his college tape,

I expected more...

Now that Dupree is on the sideline, I hope Jarvis proves me wrong...

He hasnt yet, but he has his chance.

I`m not saying he is terrible, but I expected more...

Dupree did what I expected Jarvis to do, right off the bat.

Maybe the contract year will light a fire under his ass, and I hope so, but so far.. Not seeing what I expected off his college tape...

Get yerself an overpaid contract, Jarvis...

We will benefit from it if you do!!!:butcher::dfense:!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He just doesn't have the ability. You can't blame him, just unable to be an effective edge rusher. Life goes on

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

He's as soft as an 18 roll Sharmin pack. I hope he toughens up and becomes much more aggressive but I do have my doubts.

Like Bleed said I never hated him but more disappointed considering where we drafted him. Maybe it's that we're so used to Silverback being a beast at that position that it makes JJ seem ineffective more than he is?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No haters here, he has just under achieved. Was selected way too high in the draft.
    He is a solid back up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If saying the truth makes me a hater then so be it I am fine with that. There are a handful of players that I dump on, don't mean I don't root for them it just means I am saying what I feel and see. JJ has done pretty much nothing since coming here, and when you are picked as high as he was and with the "stats" he had coming out of college we all expect more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    To be fair our other OLB ain't getting sacks either, but I believe bud will do ok.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Jarvis Jones has proved he is an average player. Nothing special. This scheme needs something special hence why JH took more snaps last season and I believe as the season wears on he will get more. He has no pass rush skills other then to engage with the blocker and get swallowed up. And the whole he is in coverage a lot crap gets old. Just average. Obviously we all had high hopes for Jones when he was drafted and I don't hate the player but he has been a major disappointment to date. Maybe he will finally put it all together and become the player we hoped he would become. I feel it's not going to happen. And waiting on Dupree to be the savior after coming back from hernia surgery? Chickillo hopefully gets more snaps. The OLB situation is the weak link at this point.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol:

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Dupree wasn't hurt JJ would not be swinging. It's not a compliment to his ability as much as a lack of talent otherwise. That's not hatred, I wish him well, but it is what it is.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Don't understand the hate part, and not sure where that is coming from. Wish him well, just don't think he has what we want in a Steeler OLB. We should move on from him and get better at that position.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If he was a 5 through 7th round pick or Dlineman no one would care. His production would be talkyd about and how great he is doing. However most people only care about two things draft posoRion and sacks so he is the new whipping boy for the fan base

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jarvis Jones... the most polarizing Steeler since Mike Adams.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ziggy Hood 2.0 imo. 1st rounder who has not played up to that expectation. Never saw that talent on his college tape. I pray Pittsburgh doesn't give him a big contract next year because then they will not try to upgrade the position. He is starter capable but I never expect him to do more than keep the seat warm until they find a replacement.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jones may be better suited as a 4-3 OLB. Wouldn't surprise me if a 4-3 team signed him in the offseason.

17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought he had a decent game against the Bengals to be honest but no one on here seemed to agree with me....

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I agree with the 2000 posts above: no hate, nice kid, not an impact player, decent depth but is a bust for a 1st rounder.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if he made that pick last week he would have gotten more love this week. i think he'll be back but i also think the steelers have made it clear not picking up his 5th year that it won't be at a 1st rd. star rate. maybe a williams type contract. :cool:

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    apparently he is getting more playing time and the Steelers like what he is doing. Upon further review, he's not that bad. None of our guys are getting sacks. He can defend the run well, they say he can cover ok but I saw his slow ass trying to play catch up lol. He's a body that knows the system. Hope he gets his 3 sacks like i said he would. HUGE

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    2 tackles is a decent game against the bengals? A 1st round pick in his 4th year 2 tackles in a game is deplorable, he has only 57 individual tackles with 38 assists and 5 sacks in 3 years, based on his numbers there was no way in hell they could have given him a 5th year option based on the average salary for top 5 OLBs at 12 million, he will have to have an amazing season to stay here, and I dont think he can have a contract year eye popping season to do that....

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Heyward is a 1st round pick in his 6th year, and only had 2 tackles.
    Through two games, Jones has as many tackles as Heyward and Harrison combined. Are they also deplorable?

There was a play where Jones flushed Dalton out of the pocket and forced him to throw the ball away.
    This doesn't show up on the stat sheet as a tackle or a pressure, even though the results are the same as if he pushed Dalton out of bounds at the line of scrimmage.

(To be clear, I agree that JJ did not deserve a 5th year option, and that he shouldn't get more than a regular starter salary to stay with the team beyond this year. At some point, it doesn't matter what round he was drafted, just what he is doing now. Just like ABrown isn't being paid like a 6th rounder.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't James get the most coverage snaps this week? I was thinking I saw that somewhere that he was playing more coverage than anyone. So if that is the case are they saying Jarvis was actually blitzing this weekend?

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Comparing JJ to a defensive lineman for tackles is a bit of a stretch, and Harrison has a pick and a forced fumble in two games and he only gets 25 snaps a game, you forgot to mention he has more tackles than landry jones too...;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Jones has played well 2 weeks back to back....nothing splashy...but solid LB play

HACK

• Agree Agree x 6