1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jarvis Jones Disappoints at Pro Day" -- Good News?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HugeSnack, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is Jarvis Jones the next Suggs?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/po...ggs?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'm all over the map on which way to draft, I'm glad I'm not Colbert. After seeing Macs breakdown, that clarifies things and makes me lean towards going defense but ask me again in an hour and I may be back on offense :shrug: If Hopkins can make it to us in the 2nd round I could forgo my love fest of Hunter whom I think will go before our spot in the 2nd. In that scenario, I'd go defense rd 1 for sure.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I just watched Jarvis Jones vs. Alabama and Missouri (both from 2012). If you want to see domination, watch the game vs. Missouri. The Alabama tape was less impressive, but still solid - especially considering the quality of 'Bama's blockers (both O-line and tight ends). Unfortunately, any GMs with picks in the top #16 who go back to the tape to see if they want Jones will quickly see that any concerns over his 40 time are pretty much rubbish. The tape is really good. I would be thrilled if he landed in our laps, but I am not optimistic.

By the way, with respect to his coverage - in those 2 games I only saw him drop into coverage twice. On one play he disrupted the tight end at the line and then followed him to the flat and was basically in his hip pocket the whole way. On the other play, he dropped into zone in the shallow middle and had an interception that was 1/2 yard from being a pick 6. After watching more tape, I am starting to think that he would be worth trading up for if he drops out of the top 10. The guy can flat out disrupt an offense and force turnovers.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't trading up for anybody they can't afford to give up picks, the better option is to trade down and get more picks.

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I watched the Alabama game...and while he was respectable...and even had a splash play....he was knocked around....as every one against that Bama Line was.....only difference between him and Te'o at this point is Te'o got knocked around in the Nationally televised title game in front of everyone...and not even half as many people watched Jones get knocked around....so even though he is "slower" than Te'o ...he is a steal at 17 and Te'o is a 3rd rounder.

Got to love message boards

HACK

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    T'eo was taken at the beginning of the 2nd round in our MB mock. I haven't seen anywhere that T'eo has slipped past the top of the 2nd. Has Kiper, McShay or Mayock moved him down to the 3rd now?

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hack not to change the subject, but how do you feel about our OSU boys? sabino, i think with a couple of years here on a weight program and some good coaching could become a good ILB next to timmons.:cool:

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now I understand the Rolle lovefest.. Just kiddin' mac.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they were the only undefeated team last year ya know? LOL what hurts is i'm just as big a miami fan too. the fla. one. shhhhhh lol:smiley1:

:cool:

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Uh sure... And you're "all-in" on a corner who set a new (bad) standard for giving up big pass plays. Check out Amerson vs. Miami - 4 TDs surrendered. Amerson vs. Tennessee - 2 long TDs surrendered. Sure, he has wide receiver hands and ball skills, but he can't cover for crap and isn't much of a tackler either. Yep, got to love message boards... Watch out for the glass walls when you toss those stones.

We all have our opinions on players.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the only way we'll land Jones. No way he falls all the way to 17.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Dave DeCastro, that's all i got to say jack.:smiley1:

:cool:

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    And DeCastro didn't even have health questions or bomb his pro day. Unfortunately, I think there's a 95% chance Jack is right.

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    His neck probs scare me, The doc might have gave him the green light to play. but the last time i checked the NFL hits a lot harder than in college.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    oh,i agree, but there's that chance.:cool:

15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Feel free to put me in a glass house...I am just as high on Jones, Te'o and Amerson as I have ever been...I was blasting the fact that everyone was saying Te'o would never make it to 17....he ran slow and got blown up against Alabama...and its I would not even touch him....Jones on the other hand...ran even slower...and really outside of a play or two didn't stand out against Bama either......and its a god send that he might MIGHT make it to 17

As for Amerson...I don't let one game or 40 time change a lot in my opinions...I liked Amerson before the season...I think his problems were mostly mental as he started gambling, and baiting vs playing sound...always thinking INT...but thats just my opinion...I have nothing to back it up but my own thoughts.

I liked Jones...and he shouldn't be there at 17...but he might.....I always had Te'o in the back half of round one....and I think Amerson probably goes before round 2 ends...and possibly in the late first...if some GM sees what I think I see....which is a young kid....who is big, fast, not afraid to tackle...and can sniff out the ball like Ed Reed......Teach to him to cover his responsibilities first...and I think you have one of the top 15 corners in the game in a few years.

Amerson and Cortez could be the next Browner and Sherman. IMO

and Elvis...I was not pointing a finger at you...and I apologize if it came across as such..I actually enjoy your posts.....I was pointing at the board as a whole...but I did enjoy your..."Oh yeah....well...well...you like I guy that I think is a big dummy" defense

HACK

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hack, point taken on your intent, and certainly no offense was taken.

However, to keep things off topic for a bit longer I will tell you why I am far from sold on Amerson - I think you hit the nail on the head with the Amerson/Browner comparison. Browner came out of college with a lot of natural ability, but was not ready to play the NFL game mentally. As a result, he had to play in the CFL for a few years to gain experience and really learn how to play football and not just "out athlete" the guys that he went up against in college. Point is, he did not do anything for the team that initially signed him as a UDFA, and if someone had drafted him, he would likely have been a bust as a draft pick because he wasn't ready to contribute. If a guy isn't ready until a few years after he's drafted, the team that drafts him gets hosed, and the team that grabs him off the street a few years later benefits. When I went to the UCONN vs. NC State game early in the season, Amerson was a guy that intrigued me because of the 13 interceptions the year before. If I recall correctly, our local paper had a brief feature in him in the sports section on game day. What I saw was a very mixed bag, and a guy who looked inconsistent in his instincts, unwilling to wrap up on tackles and very weak physically for his size. Below is a link to a video on youtube that someone put together of that game. For some reason, the video starts with a bunch of NC State punts and Amerson as the gunner, but it does get into the rest of the game eventually. The good that you'll see is Amerson making an int when UCONN's JV caliber QB threw a deep out pass into double coverage (he shows great ball skills in holding onto that one, but it was a gift). He also broke up a pass on 4th down to seal the win at the very end of the clip. The bad that you'll see are missed tackles, unwillingness to even try to tackle leading to extra yards, being taken out of the play by a WR blocking several times, a DPI and at least one other time when DPI should have been called. What wasn't captured were at least 2 occasions were he was torched deep, but UCONN's horrid QB didn't even notice (that's one of the things that torques me off about the youtube videos of "Player X vs. Team Y"- you rarely get to see every snap). So, if our FO does select the kid at some point, I will hope I'm wrong and hope that they can get his head turned around quickly. But I am not sold. I'd hate to be the team to draft him early, only to watch some other team get the benefit when he finally "gets it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDEWSAQRLY8