1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones Compensatory Draft Pick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, and you may be wrong, just like Bush :lolol:

Just like you are wrong about my position on JJ. Ive said numerous times now he was a bust, pay attention.

But to say he cant be backup is ridiculous. If he's kept for depth, than he isnt expected to rack up sacks, his draft status has nothing to do with it, only fans are hung up on it.

Steelers though, dont let their emotions run them like fans do when making decisions. They aren't sitting there saying omg, we can never let a first rd pick who was drafted to sack the QB remain on the team for depth.

No, what they will look at is, if this guy can be quality depth on a favorable contract to us.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He'd be a constant reminder to us fans that he was A BUST OF EPIC PROPORTIONS and we just can't have that! :nono:

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Jack where was it ever stated by a member of the front office or the coaching staff that he was drafted to just rush the QB? Just curious.

I've said before if you look at his college highlight tape what you see is a guy who had a fast first step against weaker opponents but against stronger ones just kept working to get sacks. He didn't show as a freaky natural pass rusher but rather a guy with a high motor that just kept grinding away. I'm in no way a break down tape guy but I could see that and anyone expecting a Clowny type didn't watch him. He is at best a Clark Haggans type OLB and not a true edge rusher.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh noosss!

Im sure the Steelers will put that at the top of their list of concerns when deciding whom to sign :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say let him go and hope he lands with a 4 or 5 man front Team that plays mostly man coverage and stunts a lot with the DL..As a outside guy with more down lineman he could become a good player...

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm betting he could out twrek AB

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure they said it was the only thing they wanted him to do, thorn, but we're deluding ourselves if we think that wasn't the primary reason for drafting him. Listen to the attached video starting about 40 seconds in. Colbert said that he was a "dominant" player at the major college level. He said that "MOST IMPORTANTLY he gets after the passer" and is a "GREAT pass rusher".

Here we are at 1.5 sacks per season at the end of his first contract. Honestly, I'm ready for the Steelers to kick him to the curb.

Bet Colbert and Tomlin wish this video didn't exist. They were gushing.

http://m.steelers.com/videos/videos...is-Jones/3f3b470a-73c2-4411-bb04-e5eba16ef33d

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let Jarvis go to another team and prove us all wrong! :lolol: He will disappear...

I also feel that Timmons should not be resigned due to his cement shoes. Great close to the line but can't cover in space. This Defense needs more speed at the position to execute properly. Timmons would be better served going to a 4-3 team as the ILB staying away from coverage as much as possible.

9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hell the reason he dropped was because of physical attributes. He was never going to be a bend the edge guy or be able to upper body strength against NFL level tackles.

Someone did a breakdown of his sacks in college and all of them were coverage or against a TE or RB!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Enough already the guy has shown absolutely nothing at all - ever.

And to be honest the writing was on the wall for him very very early on, he clearly wasn't strong enough or fast enough to ever get the the QB. Th eye test difference with him and Dupree is very telling.

12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Jarvis was not and never will be a bust.....The Front Office choose poorly...there is a difference. Jones is the same guy he was then. Not his fault the Steelers choose him in the first. He did not have that 2nd gear explosive step to close.....Never did. His tape showed it...his combine tape showed it. Is that his fault? Should he had declined when the Steelers called? I'm sorry Coach T....but I am really not that good....Ill wait till later...Call me in the 3rd or 4th. This is on the FO not Jarvis. That being said. Guy is an above the line LB in the NFL. Watch other teams...and tell me everyones 3rd or 4th LB is better than Jones?

I would take him back in a heartbeat at the right back up price tag

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's an a. moats LB. :cool:

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Let him go, he never had what we needed. How much tape or games do you have to see on him that he doesnt have what it takes. I will be shocked if he starts anywhere., and if he does it won't be for long.

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Hack, are you kidding me? Jarvis Jones at one time was being touted by at least one prominent analyst as possibly the number one player coming out in 2013. He was a plug and play pass rusher extraordinaire who had huge success at the major college level. Colbert and Tomlin were both gushing in that video I posted above. They were happy that he ran slow at his pro day because that meant a lot of teams would pass on him allowing him to fall all the way to the Steelers pick at 17. Somehow this guy managed to put up numbers in college but was absolutely overmatched as an NFL linebacker. This guy will never be (IMO) an effective NFL linebacker. Somebody will sign him but he'll be out of football by the time his next contract comes around. I mean no disrespect, but I don't understand how any objective football fan can consider him anything but a bust at this point.

16. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    One guy had him as the possible first pick....that guy was wrong.....Jarvis is EXACTLY what his tape showed IMO.....THat pick is on the FO not the Player.

HACK

17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't disagree that this was an abysmal FO failure. But didn't his tape show that he had the ability to get to the quarterback? I realize many of those sacks were coverage sacks or occurred when JJ was being blocked by a back or a TE, but still. He was obviously slow and weak in his tee shirt and shorts and that translated as slow and weak in the NFL. Again, we agree that the front office failed big time here, but I think Jarvis Jones will be viewed overall as a major bust.

18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    His tape showed he could get to the QB....but those QB's were not ELITE NFL talent. Those lines he was going against were not week in week out the best in the world. I hoped for better....But Jarvis never showed a second gear. Not when NFL QB's are taught to get that ball out....work that mental clock.

I would rank Jones as the 3rd best OLB that was on the roster.....Deebo, Bud, Jones.....I would take him over Moats...I would take him over Chickillo.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    We'll see about Chick. Got hurt last year, but he did way more in the combine than Jones. Also, looked like he was working on more than one move to get to the QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. Chickello in his short time has showed more promise then Jones. We all were duped. Now it's time to see him in another uniform...

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    crazy thing about jones is that while other blockers had a field day with him, he absolutely owned joe thomas

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we also played a lot of the season without cam heyward. it would have been interesting to see what might have transpired if we had that front 3 fully intact to help our pass rush. it indeed could have made chickillo and the others look better than without him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    That's a silly way to frame it...

I knew Jones was going to be a bust for all the reasons you cited.

Jarvis Jones is a bust.

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    "From what I've seen of Jarvis Jones, and don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, but from what I've seen him do, I could take a guy from the golf course I play at and have him do the same thing - just run up the field."

Greg Lloyd.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    @Steeler JJ...

You GOT to be frieking kidding me, right?!?!

I got all the respect in the world for Greg Lloyd, but, I wonder what golf course he plays on, where the members could break thru ANY N.F.L. Line, and get to the QB?!?!

I would LOVE to see Arnold Palmer, or Tiger Woods, or Justin Speith, or Jack Nickalous( or however you spell it)...

Try to break thru an offensive line, in the NFL...

Talk about "Pros versus Joes"...

Jarvis Jones was definitely a missed pick, given where we picked him,
    However, there is no reason to think he still can`t be an effective linebacker, in the NFL.
    He has made plenty of "splash plays", in his first 3 years in the league...

I make the case that he is still improving, and is worth keeping on the roster, as a back-up, if nothing else..

I`m not saying he is a priority on the roster,

If someone else wants to overpay for him...

Let them..

However, "He doesn`t suck"...
    He is a decent LB, and if he got drafted in the 3d round or later,
    We would have gotten a good deal...

Pay him accordingly.

As for the video that was posted, when we first drafted him,
    Yeah, we aren`t the only team that made a mistake in the draft...

It ain`t rocket science, and plenty of teams miss on "sure-fire" picks, only to regret them later..

I personally believe he is worth hanging onto at a reasonable price.

GO STEELERS

• Disagree Disagree x 2