1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones 5th year option Declined

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, May 2, 2016.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Fantastic news

The only thing better than this would've been drafting Xavier Rhodes like I wanted

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I know there was a big thread on this... but I never understood it. Giving that dude $9M for one season is crazy.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, now it's a true contract year for JJ. I don't think it will do anything to boost his performance. His effort has not been the issue IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he will be extra motivated to produce next season.

7. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I hope we are extra motivated not to re-invest in any production that comes from his extra motivation

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Now is the time that Jarvis needs to showcase his skills. If he does not, then he has been a waste of an investment.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree, if he manages to get double digit sacks next season then bring him back in 2017. Harrison will be gone, and there's not much depth.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    **** no

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No production equals no 5th year pretty simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Let me say right off the bat I am good with our draft pick of Burns, I like it but you mean to tell me the Steelers went into this draft knowing they weren't gonna pick up this option and unsure of JH. Dodd and Ogbah were both there and they didn't grab them, that says something. MT and KC have a plan and the only thing I can think of is there is a LB in FA next year they really like right?

Back to JJ I love that they didn't pick up his option, least year he showed some flash but not what we all thought we were getting. I hope he lights it up this year so someone else can over pay for him next year......

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good because he hasn't shown enough to receive $8 mil. I believe we will keep him but under contract and way under that amount. If he wants to move on then that's ok as well. We will get a stud on that side as well ...if we don't have one on the roster already

14. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    In my mind Jarvis = Moats. I think we can sign him to a similar contract next year.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think they have any intention of getting rid of JJ, he had a pretty good season but it gets lost in the almost non existent sack production. But Steelers like what he provides in other areas.

They'll just sign him to a contract that is fair for what he gives them. Unless JJ is delusional, I expect him to be resigned.

16. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Hello JJ, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and play like a Steeler OLB should. So if you could get at least 9 sacks that would be great, mmmk...

upload_2016-5-3_8-37-51.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    1. They think Chickillo is going to really show something this year or next?
    2. They already know Harrison is not coming back after this next year.
    3. They plan on trying to get another OLB in next years draft to replace and are willing to let Chickillo be the man.
    I'm going to go with Chick being thought of as just as capable for a lot less money. The kid looks like he's really taken this full offseason to hone himself for the OLB/rush spot. Last year he just cut pounds. This year I think he's trained the right way for the spot. Remember his numbers were right at the top of the combine and he was asked to play heavier to occupy blockers at Miami. Then they go out and draft a Miami CB in the first this year? I

Chemistry on defense with these young guys might just be a plan here folks!

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Freaking Kiper. He wouldn't shut up about how much he loved Sean Davis... but if he were the Steelers he'd have take someone else in that spot. Whatever.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    t

Okay Blast, without making this a 100 post thread, the only thing I got to say is getting sack productions and quarterback hurries is the main thing that we need from our OLB, that's another reason we were 30th in pass defense. This is where he is bad. The 2nd priority is to be stout against the run which he is average.

I know your going to bring up he is good in pass coverage, but come on that's not what we need from our OLB. He didn't have a pretty good season last year, he had a below average season, hence the reason he is didn't get signed to extend. I do agree that for a lot less money and as a back up he would be okay, but at this time we don't have anyone better. We will see if Chick can come thru this year.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually he did and the Steelers are the ones who use him that way, so take it up with them :shrug:

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, the plan is Dupree becomes a bonafide sack man off the edge, living up to his potential, and Moats bridges the gap over the next 1-2 years while we work to turn out a late rounder depth, the way we've done for years (Chickillo, Feeney, etc).

The plan also features changing the scheme and philosophy around how sacks/pressure are created, and Hargraves is quite a good indicator of that (along with how we've augmented Heyward and Tuitt in to more 4 tech/3tech alignments).

The Steelers are flat out a different defense. This is not the Lebeau defense. Thinking in terms of 2 tweener OLBs is significantly lower on the totem pole of value, roles, etc within this defense.

They drafted a Man-Press corner, not a zone corner
    They drafted a Cover 2 safety, not a box safety
    They drafted a 3 tech tackle, not a 0 tech tackle
    They drafted a 4-3 Will, not a 34 OLB

How much more obvious do they need to make it?

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    lol :lolol:, thanks for keeping this short.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lollmao:

Actually, I'm going to retract "good season" until I can back it up with the article I was basing it on, thought it was SB Nation, gave a break down of his performance, like some key plays he made and such. Havent found it yet.

So, Ill just say best season yet for him :whistley:

25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, your actually getting smarter in your old age. :thumbs up::hehehe::dfense:

• Like Like x 1