1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Mar 21, 2015.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    nfl_g_harrison_mb_300x300_2.jpg here we go .... i was right ..
    we have our starting rolb ..now

:applaud:

2. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Forget his age. Did he help or hurt this team last year? From what I saw, he was the only one that helped the D get some attitude back. That's what I saw.

I was in the "put a fork in him camp" but you have to evaluate individually, year to year, and not by general rules such as age.

He's the one guy that Flacco didn't like out there and with the state of our D, why would you not bring him back?

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is the part that just slays me. Last season at this time they wanted all the old and slow gone. We warned them that young and inexperienced wasn't always better, they said they would live with the growing pains but the team needed to stop blocking the progression of younger players by keeping old past their prime players on the roster. Then by week 2 same people were whining and complaining because these young guys couldn't stop the run, could stop the pass, and couldn't pressure the QB, but they could live with the growing pains though remember. Then some injuries happen, Keisel starts rounding into form, Harrison is brought back, Tuitt begins to have starter minutes with a solid vet to mentor him and push him and low and behold the defense improves, what do these same people say? It's Lebeau's fault old complex system that needs old and slow players to make it work. It's maddening

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    now i'm not ruling out a possible trade up for waines if falls a little , we can give our first and second to move up since we are not in hurry to take an olb in the second

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    His 2 year deal is worth $2.75 Mil and includes a $500K signing bonus. Cap numbers likely look like~

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Year[/TD]
    [TD]Base Salary[/TD]
    [TD]Signing Bonus[/TD]
    [TD]Cap Hit[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2015[/TD]
    [TD]$1,000,000[/TD]
    [TD]$250,000[/TD]
    [TD]$1,250,000[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2016[/TD]
    [TD]$1,250,000[/TD]
    [TD]$250,000[/TD]
    [TD]$1,500,000[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bargain. As I said haters and animal abusers.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No way would I trade up for Waynes. I don't know if I would even take him over Kevin Johnson at #22. I would trade up for Ray, Fowler or maybe Gregory. I'm happy that we signed JH, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that anything has been solved other than having a good chance of solid play at the ROLB position for 2015. We still need our next ROLB of the future (unless HoJo is that guy, which is possible but perhaps a long shot).

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    You don't think this means that they can look at BPA and not reach to get a pass rusher? I mean you are right this isn't a a long term solution but does add depth and makes it a lot less scary heading into OTA's without established LB's on the outside.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    As Blast will be happy to tell you, I was one of the naysayers last year and just felt like age and injury had probably caught up with James. As Fonzie said, I was wrowrowroooo. I was wroooo. I was wrowroo. Okay, I wasn't exactly right! I was pleasantly surprised with how Harrison came in and got after the quarterback. He's good for a few snaps a game where he can just pin his ears back and go get Flacco!!!! He's also kept himself in good physical condition which is contributing to his longevity.

Let me ask this though. Would the Steelers have an ounce of interest if JJ had been more of a contributor his first couple of seasons? Let's face it, he's been a disappointment so far and I believe the Steelers may have some concerns at this point as to whether or not he may ever develop into the kind of pass rusher they hoped he would when they drafted him. You can say they signed him for depth and that's true to a degree. But I believe the number one reason they signed him was to "RUSH THE QUARTERBACK!" as a certain head coach once said.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, based on what the posted value is, the downside to signing him now is peanuts. We can still fill in the blanks and if he is the best man standing, so be it.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He played well last season. He was better than anyone on our roster. He was signed for peanuts. And you think we should not have done this? I'm missing your logic?

p.s. I was opposed to signing him last year at this time and we had Jason. I was wrong.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why they do a two year deal? At age 37 just sign him to a one year deal they need him for depth at old.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    wow and he had to throw tennesee around to get this money ? ahahah :lolol:

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    just to irritate you, that is the sole purpose

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Duh who said I was irritated by the signing. I don't have a problem with the signing, Colbert told the media they want Harrison to mentor the young lbs.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    ...because a $250K SB hit is easier than a $500K one..

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Come on you had to know we were going to be giving you a bad time in any Harrison thread.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

Jack I think this says more about how off guard Worilds retirement caught them rather than anything about Jarvis Jones. I'm sure they had considered Harrison for depth but were working to lock up Worilds and Moats before addressing the lack of depth they had again.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert said this signing had nothing to do with Worilds, because he wasn't in their plans once free agency started per Mark Kaboly. Colbert also said both OLB and CB spots are up for grabs.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I typed out a long response in agreement with you but then realized I read an article that said Worilds discussed retirement with the Steelers and they believed it was a real option for him. See if I can dig it up.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he and moats are good security. JJ will have to shine and stay on the field this year. i still think we draft a high pass rusher to compete with the group. this may however push it down the list some.:cool:

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a feeling its going to be Dupree, they like that kind of athleticism, him and Shazier on the field at the same time, probably has them frothing.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think it may be between he and OO early and mauldin if they go johnson early. hard to tell how it will play out this year. i just hope they all stay healthy.:cool:

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure losing Worilds played into it some but, come on, thorn, to suggest that JJ's play had absolutely nothing to do with it is a stretch, no? If JJ had 8 sacks his rookie season and 12 in year two, it would have been less likely that the Steelers would make a play for a LB being brought in solely to generate a pass rush. I don't think the Steelers have confidence AT ALL in JJ's ability to rush the passer at this point and this season is going to be HUGE for him. In fact, it's make or break IMHO.

25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sure there is some Jack but Butler and Porter have to have some confidence in him or they would have pushed harder for a younger more established pass rusher. So I think it says we are confident in JJ and Moats that having Silverback as the guy spelling them is a good plan.