1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Heck yeah. Give him the rock!

93.0%
  2. No, we'll find him in the 2019 draft

7.0%
  1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I almost agree. Conner/Samuels and a draft pick for depth.

Conner for most of the carries and Samuels as the pass catching back.

Draft pick in case of injury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree but with a tweak. I was originally thinking draft a RB myself but I think it makes more sense to find a experienced RB in FA. Someone like a Crowell,Powell even a CJ Anderson. I don't think he's signed past this year. We don't have. a 5th round pick so unless you are drafting one in the first 4 rounds you will be relying on a 6th or 7th round RB to step into a prominent role if Samuels or Conner gets hurt. Conner has been hurt twice already including in a season he barely played. So IMO you need to have a reliable veteran back up to fill in. Use the 6th or 7 th pick to try and take a flyer on a high upside guy or to simply add depth. There are a ton of veteran FA RBs to choose from.

I agree on the 2RB attack with JC and JS it will help keep both guys healthy. I would give Conner the majority of the snaps but I wouldn't limit Samuels to just a 3rd down back. I think it would help to keep the D off balance by using both guys in a more interchangeable fashion. They can both run and catch so why tip your hand. I can see something like a 60/40 split with the FA back up biting into a little of both especially in closeout scenarios.....

• Like Like x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Remember you two...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Unfortunately there is that too...,,

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason that Art Rooney II or John Mitchell needs to be a bit more vocal to Tomlin about preserving the health of the running backs whom are present on the roster.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They can try. Not sure why they would need to teach him that. They would probably just get the "red barn" treatment anyway.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I believe we could get a very good RB in the draft in rounds 6 & 7 and maybe even as a FA. Guys like Darrell Henderson, Ty Johnson, Nick Brossette(my fav), Patrick Laird, Ryquell Armstead, Marquis Young, Jordan Ellis and Devine Ozigbo are just some that I have looked at and have big potential who right now look to be 5th and lower picks.

I really like guys like Love and Snell but don't want to use one of our top 3 picks on this position. One thing I have noticed is college players are getting more "pro ready" each year. There was a time we never seen a guy on the field the first year now it is a common thing. We have tons of needs and limited picks I am fine with us getting one in the draft. jmo

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I have no doubt we could find a quality back in the 6-7th but I'm looking to fill the third RB spot with a guy that can step in if Conner misses some time. I agree guys are coming out more ready than ever but you also have to look at the pass protection factor. You and I both know that guy isn't seeing the field until they are totally comfortable with that players ability. Just look at Conners first year that was what they said was keeping him from playing. You said lots of needs with limited picks that's another reason I would choose to go FA. I wouldn't mind a couple UDFAs choosing from what's left after the draft. We can stash them and develop them on the PS. I'm tired of us being caught holding the bag in the event our starting RB goes down which seems to happen often enough. Everyone clamoring for CJ A ended up being right. I would like to have that veteran already in place. I would say it's safe to bet that Tomlin will be filling that third string role with a vet. They are a dime a dozen but picking one up sooner than later in FA at least gives us the option of getting exactly who we want. If there's too good a RB to pass up in the later rounds,go for it. I just feel we need a veteran that's ready to step in now. IMO.
    Speaking of the Laird kid I was looking into him. Seems like a nice piece to develop and has great character and we could always use some of that. Interested to see him at the Combine.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm sure he will, he always does. Toussaint and/or Ridley.;+)

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The crop of FA running backs have a lot of guys long in the tooth. Not sure if age is a big factor in what the team is looking for since they signed Ridley in his late 20s.

Mike Davis from Seattle is one of the younger guys and may be let go since they have Carson and Penny. He's only 25. On the shorter side at 5'9" 220.

Tevin Coleman and TJ Yeldon are 26 and 25 respectively but TC has 7 fumbles and Yeldon has 5 both in 4 years.

Not sure what happened with the KR fiasco for Ty Montgomery but I liked what he did otherwise in GB. Him and Davis would prob. be my front runners. Although personally, I'd rather go in the draft and get a guy in the 4th or 5th(if we get one in a trade).

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. I don't see any way they go into the season was th a 3rd,2nd year and rookie RB. Just not Tomlins style.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I don’t think we need a vet rb now we have Conner with 2 years and Samuels with one. Grab a rookie and let him learn use every penny we have for FA to improve maybe the safety spot since imo that has the most fa talent.

I agree about pass protection and I think being a 3rd means a lot. What I mean is it will take time before he would need to be rushed into action. I am not against a vet RB but honestly I am more for a rookie here. Either way with what has happened the last couple years he better be ready to play cause the chances are we will need him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Tomlin has a style????? I thought the standard was the standard lmao.

16. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    Mike Davis would be a nice addition. Solid runner with good hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    His standard is to run his starter into the ground. His style is to have a veteran presence and until I see either changing with my own eyes I expect that to be what we should expect. That's the reason we have carried a guy like Ridley and even Toussaint. Everyone likes a shiny new toy. I just don't see it coming from the 6-7 th round. Conner was a 3rd with probably a much higher pedigree than what we will see from a RB selected that late and even he couldn't get on the field. Now if you want to tell me we go RB in the 4th or earlier then maybe....jmo.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I hear what your saying however I feel the opposite. I really believe we can get a steal in the 6-7 or even undeafted. That Brossette kid has a ton of potential and would love to see him here. As for drafting a guy earlier I could be down with that too Love or Snell are guys who could be #1 guys is Conner goes down again.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But isn't it pretty sure we'll get a 3rd for Bell?

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Really like Mike Davis....But would be nice to have a completely different change of pace guy ala...Damien Williams, Tarik Cohen, Sproles type of change of pace runner imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They should but they have some extra cap space this year so they may surprise us with some FA signings, which would factor into what they get for Bell if anything.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure we are getting anything for bell. I checked the comp list and our name is not on there.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It wouldn't be until next draft.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well now that splains why I can’t find it lol. Thanks.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah we've been in search of that type of guy for a while now. For some reason they're like the CBs we draft.