1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner ruled out for Sunday’s game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Dec 27, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Water is wet

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well it's official now......

• Like Like x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He needs to do something else lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    SO disappointing that we can't keep our starting and best RB on the field each year.

It's time for Steelers to go a different direction and find them a new every down back.
    No way, the backs we have now including Snell can be a 3 down productive back. Without Conner there is no speed or power back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Not that I'm saying our current coaching staff is capable of this, but if handled correctly, we have a stable of backs that could be successful by committee.

Snell/Sam/Whyte can carry the rock behind an effective OL. But we need good coaching and an effective OL first, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like our current group but Conner just can't stay healthy I think we found something with Whyte but imo it all starts with the OC and we don't have one that has a clue........

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If you notice, I didn't mention Conner in that group. I love the guy, his ability, his story, and his attitude. But it's time for him to hang up the cleats. Not fair to him or us.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers are going to have to add a running back for next season. Whyte, Samuels and Snell have all shown flashes, but none of them is a lead back and Conner can't be trusted.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Come on, you know they're resting Conner (and Lynch) for the Playoff run. :rolleyes:

PS: For the same two members who keep clicking "dislike" whenever green font (sarcasm) appears, there's a strong possibility you also have issues not understanding alphabet soup. :lolol:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I guess I agree just hard to think like that.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, the loss of Nix and the terrible quarterback play are part of the problem, too. Teams can easily load up against the run because the Steelers just can't make them pay consistently enough. I know somebody will once again respond by posting that the Steelers don't use their fullback, but they did and the best running game they had all season was the one time since the opener that Nix played.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While I agreed with you Scribe, they're in a chicken and egg scenario involving the O-Line and the RBs. Remember when we said the same thing about LB that he'd be lost without this O-Line and it pretty much came true. This O-Line has faltered badly without Munch and the poor showing (95% of the time) by the RB's, no matter who's carrying the rock, is evident. Like you said, they have each shown flashes, but nothing representing a consistent running game probably worsened by D's keying on stopping the run knowing the Steeler QB's are all "Lost in the Ozone" or something.

Edit: Sorry Scribe we were typing at the same time and came to about the same conclusion.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No worries. It is difficult to judge a lot of what is going on with the offense due to the struggles of the quarterbacks and the play-calling. The truth is, the line got old, the running back broke and the supposed star receiver came up very small this season. Throw in losing a quality fullback and there is a hell of a lot wrong with this offense beyond just Hodges and Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This guy is hurt more than Barry Foster. We definitely need to search for a durable RB.

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    :shrug: called him an average nfl rb last yr.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Great story, but can't stay healthy. Maybe Snell can develop into the starter? He's shown flashes. Consistent reps as the starter can only help. Conner would be a great back up and it would prolong his career.

18. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This news means that- unless Benny Snell has a huge game and passes him- that Conner's total of 464 yards will lead the team. This will be the fewest yards for a team rushing leader since the immortal Don Shy's total of 341 in 1967 (and this includes 2 strike shortened seasons hence).

Conner is a good back, averaging 4 yards per carry this year with this offense is no small feat. However, they definitely need to upgrade that position. Everything changes when you are a threat running the football, even in these pass happy days. I do want to draft an OL first, but if there is something really good at RB when their pick comes up, I would go for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    It wouldn’t surprise me if Whyte is the best out of that group. He seems to have a burst that the others don’t.

I don’t think the problems with the running game are on account of the line. I am not even sure how much of a problem the running game is. If Conner could have stayed in one piece he probably would have been a 1,000 yard rusher.

They also wasted a good number of carries on Samuels, who is dangerous as a receiver out of the backfield but is really pretty terrible running the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I remember Don Shy he was really fast but was traded after Bill Austin was fired.

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    images.jpg

Im auctioning off a James Conner game jersey. Anyone interested?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And you were wrong. He is a very good running back who gets hurt a lot. That doesn’t average out to average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Face it Conner is a China Doll. I like his attitude but his durability is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think it was steelwinds who pointed out that maybe Conner is injury prone because of his cancer treatments. I don't know maybe some of you who have more expertise in the medical field would know if that is a possibility or not.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If its like the one he wears, it must be immaculately clean. Does it show any signs of falling apart?