1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jamaal Charles?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Mar 18, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I read that we might make a good fit for him on the cheap and that teams are going to wait until after the draft to see how things play out with who's still available and teams might try and get a bigger discount that way. The article said it could be between us and the Broncos for him. When he's healthy he has been good. Would you take a look at him? Also Adrian Peterson is getting pretty much zero interest and might only warrant like a $5 million deal. Would you like to line him up in the backfield and spread Bell out wide? If AP isn't gonna fetch much money since he's almost 32 don't you think he could be just as effective as DWill? Just curious is all.

2. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I was kind of wondering the same thing. For the right price Peterson or Charles are certainly appealing as backups.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If AP wants to sign a team friendly deal, that would be perfectly fine by me. I think he's still looking to start though.

Tim Hightower would be my choice on the realistic side. But you are right BFT, I think some teams may wait until after the draft.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont see either of those guys ready to accept a backup roll and thats what they will be here with Bell.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't blame them. Back-up RBs never see the field here. Run Bell into the ground, ground, ground.

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Am I missing something? What is wrong with DWill? I can see replacing toussaint but DWill was a great fill in for Bell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I would be fine with DWill coming back too. I was just asking this for the sake of discussion since apparently Charles has been mentioned as a prospect.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope dwill does come back good insurance,James Conner in the 5th we are good to go.

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the Eagles and Packers are looking for RB's and they might be your landing spots for AP and Charles. I am not against one of them coming here but no way am I going to pay them medium size money to sit the bench, I am fine bringing back Dwill at our price but I want a RB in this draft class. It could be 4th round or later, heck I think we may be able to get a good one in FA after the draft this class is so deep.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We need to do something because it is scary if you realize that Toussaint is second on our current depth chart.....shudder. I'm afraid DWill is a injury liability and we need to get younger and find someone that can actually effectively take the load off Bell....

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So Is Charles. No thanks. They will get a back in the draft to get some carries I hope. We all saw what running the wheels off of Bell worked...

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I agree I wasn't trying to say I wanted Charles either....same boat as DWill at this stage. We need to pick one in the draft and bring in more competition with some UDFAs....I don't like our depth at all after Bell especially with some guys like BBD being released/ resigned over and over. Need someone that our coaches "actually" trust to use....

13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    And we will the draft isn't even here yet, we aren't FA players you have to wait and see. I agree Toussaint don't have me happy about being 2nd on the depth chart but give it time let's see what we draft and like always FA RB's will get signed after the draft if teams didn't fill their needs via the draft....and at a team friendly price I may add.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Charles is a big risk:

SB Nation:
    Tore his ACL in 2015, the second such injury of his career. He tried coming back last year, but couldn’t fully recover and ended up appearing in just three games. Charles played just eight games in the past two years and who knows if his body can hold up much longer.

With ACL tears on both of his knees, Charles’s career is likely on borrowed time at age 30. He ended up getting released with a “failed physical” designation, which means his knee still isn’t right. That’s a worrying sign, given that his surgery happened over a year ago. Charles needs to convince potential suitors that his knee will be 100 percent sooner rather than later.

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Enough with the washed up retreads

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No to both, their egos wouldn't accept getting 5 carries a game as a backup to Bell. We know what happened when Blount didn't get that many carries as Bell's backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah after reading that he sounds like he has Deuce Staley written all over him.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Heard ya the first time pastor! Hahahahahah

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man did it do that reposting thing again??? I can only see one on my end. I have no idea why it does that!!! Super annoying!

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I tidied up your stat padding.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure if you're being a Pgh homer here or if you're serious? Unfortunately James seemed to have lost his extra burst and wasn't as menacing after his injury and cancer bout. Not too many straight ahead runners in the NFL these days. But his comeback effort was epic. Wonder if defense would be a better fit for him since he played both ways at times.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    :facepalm: Sigh.....kill me now. I'm gonna call Bill Gates and ask him why in the crap that happens to me. It has also happened to steelersrule6 a few times too.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    We sure could have used him with that Food Truck competition a while back. ;)

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I mean he was still in recovery to start the season. You think it's not going to take a year for his body to actually heal. The treatments do more actual harm to your body than the cancer.

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    If we didn't know you any better Rev we'd say you were acting out that old C&W classic "Feeling Single but Seeing Double" :drinks::drinks:

26. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with all you said - it was a lot to bounce back from - I wish him all the best at the next level - Pitt may not compete well overall but they sure do crank out the RB's and WR's and an occasional guy on D like Revis and Donald.

27. PittAlum86

PittAlum86 Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    I'd really not like to see a backup in a season opener or play off game

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm just hoping we get James Connor from Pitt. I think he would look great in a Steelers uniform.

• Agree Agree x 1