1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen Ramsey .....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, that's it exactly. The play was extremely frustrating. The Seahawks shoved the Steelers around, but they left the play-side outside linebacker unblocked. Is there any way they even try that with Watt on the field? I don't think so. That mistake was one of the keys to the game and it came from having a very average reserve on the field instead of the best player on that defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If the best player in the league at his position is "not a good fit" Then one might need to reassess the system.

HACK

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not that he doesn't fit the system. It's that they have bigger needs than cornerback right now and they lack the resources in terms of pieces to trade and in salary cap room to bring him in.

4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    you know he wants a new contract and to be paid, dude showed up to training camp in a Brinks truck:

[​IMG]

5. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I think the cap room is there to be had. Had Brown not burned the place down he would still be getting paid...Had Bell signed his deal he would be getting paid.

This year he fits easy as he is under 3 mil left at this time. Next year...you move the money around like you always do....I mean we all know it wont happen.

But I would do it in a heartbeat. The entire defense would be basically turned around in 1 season for the next 3 or 4 years.....then you pick up Offense with the remaining picks to try and improve the O.

HACK

6. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I would pay the man. If they were willing to pay Bell, and AB...I would have ZERO problems paying Ramey

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown still counts on their cap for this season. Roethlisberger is eating up a significant chunk of it the next two years.

Ramsey is only under his team's control through the end of the 2020 season and it is going to take ridiculous money for a team to keep him. That's assuming he doesn't hold out to get his money this coming offseason, which I imagine will happen.

As you already said, it's not going to happen. Maybe if they hadn't already traded for Fitzpatrick, but I can't see them depleting their draft options that much over the next couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Me either....but if you could walk out of the next 2 drafts...with just one shut down corner....worth it.

I understand the money. I would pay the man..16 mil a year....i have zero issues with it. 6 years 96 mill...30 mill signing...50 mill in total guarantees.

Best CB in the league under contract till he hits 30 years old..

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agreed. But they just paid Haden. The question, is he worth two high draft picks? He probably is. A second next year and a 2021 first may get it done.

I think Ramsey will be looking for closer to $20m though, and if you are giving up significant draft capital to get him you pay him on his way in or he will have you over a barrel later.

10. Insurgo

Insurgo Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2019
    If he's still available I'd find a way to get him. As long as it didn't hurt or lose young talent.

Be creative.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Eagles

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or Lose games by upsetting the existing system in place.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    1. He likely doesn’t fit under the 2019 cap, even at around $3 million. OTC shows us at $1.3 million under, and Spotrac shows us at $2 million under. We could get there by cutting Burns, and maybe McCullers. Or, we could restructure a veteran contract mid season (which hurts our cap space 2020 and beyond).
    2. I had heard on SiriusXM that he wants his big payout now, as part of being traded. If that’s the case we’d have to make even more roster moves on the fly, in-season. It may be impossible without losing someone else who is important to our success.
    3. For 2020 we have a lot of core players under contract with large cap hits, and will have vacancies at OLB (Dupree), RT (Feiler), and NT (Hargrave). We also lose Finney, our primary backup for the interior. We’d have no money to fill those spots, and just to afford Ramsey (without filling those spots) we would also need to cut some guys. Barron, Chickilo, McCullers and Moncrief could be relatively easy cut decisions, but the guys who would save us big bucks are core players like DeCastro, Pouncey, AV, Heyward, Nelson (who is looking decent), etc.
    4. We have younger core players coming up on second contracts. Do you want to risk not being able to keep Watt or JuJu? Especially with no 1st round picks available to replace them?
    5. If Rudolph is the heir to Ben, he needs to get paid after the 2020 season. We won’t have a 2021 1st rounder to grab a new QB.

Also, what happens if two years down the road another CB gets a bigger contract? Is Ramsey the kind of guy who will be OK, or will the guy who showed up to training camp in an armored car demand even more money -or a trade?

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would they have to pay Rudolph after his third season?

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Isn't bens pay reduced while on ir?:cool:

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    almost positive it isn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben sucking up all that money and doing what he can to help this team lol

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think if you have a guy who you believe is your franchise QB, you’re best served doing an extension before his contract expires. It’s not necessary, but it avoids the risks of trying to do a deal after his contract expires, and the potential for needing to tag him while a deal is negotiated. Also, I don’t want my franchise QB playing a season as a lame duck, with the distraction of wondering if he’ll even be on the team next year. I think most NFL execs agree, after all how often do you see top young QBs play out their rookie deals before being resigned?

Again, this is premised on being convinced that he’s the heir, which is obviously a long way from being proven.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Even if Ramsey wants his deal now...which I have seen nothing to say that he does...and they would most certainly have to let his agent be working on the contract before the trade if the Jags want the ransom that they are said to want.

But that is simply book keeping. You sign him to the contract, but word it so that certain guarantees and such do not kick in until the start of the 2020 season...or things like that.

It can be done. It wont be done..but it can be done. and Yes..I would be willing to lose some of the guys mentioned to have Ramsey locked up till he was 30.

and as for guys being upset and wanting new contracts...WELCOME TO THE NEW NFL.....That will not stop until the NFL forces the CBA to include some type of provision that stops it. Bell and AB did reset the markets....not in $ but in how to get your way. No way I would have paid Zeke this year...but he got paid....The Rams paid Gurley just in time for his leg to fall off. Melvin Gordon is giving it his try now. AB forced his way out of PITT...destroyed his trade value....cost the Steelers 20 mill in cap space...(what id they didnt have the cap space to eat it?) Then he burned Oakland down costing them 2 draft picks....The league allowed him to do it. Probably rewarding him with a Super Bowl ring for doing it. It will only get worse.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    After what we gave up for minkah, what do we have left for a package

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    this move doesn't make sense now as nelson/haden are playing well and the back end should be complete with mink. Edmunds should play better and hilton is whatever but sutton hopefully can help.

Not sure why you want to break bank on another loudmouth superstar which yes he is great but given what we are doing now we would definitely need to win a superbowl this year or next, and im hardpressed to see that.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Steelhack is saying they should package their second-rounder in 2020, another 2020 pick, their first in 2021 and another player. He wants to give all that up for a guy who could leave as a free agent after 2020 and he's going to want an insane amount of money to stay longer than that. I love what Ramsey brings as a player, but no, I don't think that would be a good idea.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We should sign Dave Ramsey.

• Like Like x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers do not want to become the Redskins. I'm cool with next year's #1 for Fitzpatrick... but it should stop there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah we are getting carried away lol