1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jags 378 Total Yards

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Something to make you all feel even worse. This game was so bizarre, never should have lost to these guys.

Youd think that scoring 38 points, they'd have generated a lot of offense but they didn't.

378 Total yards, 214 in the air and 164 on the ground compared to 552 total yards of offense for us and 6 TD's

Where the defense failed yesterday was where they had been successful all year, redzone, bend but dont break defense. 5 red zone trips 5 TD's, eight 3rd down conversions.

Jags efficiency when it mattered most is what killed this team yesterday.

Not one defender made a play when it mattered most. Not one play in 60 minutes :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks.

drinking.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ben Roethlisberger 485 total yards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the third down conversions were just so costly imo....and some were huge gains

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yea seriously. The B’s were clutch AF but the defense(trash talkers) mind you **** the bed.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    While the defense did us in Blast, make no mistake.

This was a colossal failure in all three phases; more speficially all three in their category sans the Killer Bs and David DeCastro.

Everything that should have not happened did happen. Every common sense virtue of playcalling that should have been called was not existent. Every once of focus, commitment and execution was void within both players and coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    And 5 Td's, so great game right?

WRONG

Because he failed to do what was most important, which is take care of the ball.

Goes to the OP's point of how bizarre a game it was if you look at stats

The numbers don't lie in this game, they commit purgory!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Of coarse it wasn't great game. Both turnovers turned into 14 points. I was just stating that Ben alone had over a hundred more yards than the Jags.

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Some of the blame on the INT can be shared with McDonald. If he doesn't fall down he probably makes a play on the ball... at the very least it should have been an incomplete pass. The sack was on Ben for holding the ball too long when he had Bell wide open... my guess is he didn't see him but his mental clock should have told him to get rid of it . Part of that might have been for the fact that we were rusty from not playing for a month. You could see the sloppiness all over the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I saw a stat before the game - it showed that any playoff game where Ben threw for over 275 yards the Steelers' have lost the game.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So what's this mean? Landry should have played the 2nd half? :shrug:

12. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    according to the stat they showed before the game it means they don't win playoff games when Ben throws for over 275....interesting stat showing when Ben seems to have a good game stat wise they don't win.

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Be curious to see how many of those losses did the D suck and Steelers were playing catch up the whole game, kinda like Sunday's game.

14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hated that one long high lob near the goal Bortles threw, putting it up for grabs, and we have two guys not even close or looking for the ball. Ugh!

I tell you what, those bums better play good against the Cheats or they should be deported to Haiti, LOL.

15. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Reminds me pretty much of the entire season. We came back down big in atleast 3-5 games.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope Art II is seriously thinking about making some changes. Changes need to occur, this coaching

staff can't get us over the top. I can't believe we can't find the right pieces to this puzzle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    (*mumble mumble*) correlation/causation (*mumble mumble*)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. This is arguably the most talent the Steelers have EVER had on offense and we can't find a way to win it all?

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This chicken and egg conundrum will haunt us at least till next season. Just what exactly did we witness on Sunday:
    1. Inferior defensive talent (blame management))
    2. Underachieving defensive talent (blame players)
    3. Poor defensive game planning and preparation (blame coaching)
    4. Poor in-game defensive adjustments (blame coaching)
    5. Other - i.e. pre-game distractions, looking ahead, confidence that BB wouldn't throw 5 INTs this time.... etc etc (blame everybody)

Funny thing is every time I focus on any one of the factors above I hear a loud DING DING DING! :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Blake Friggen Bortles dissected this Defense. Blake Friggen Bortles. And how about Kizer? KIZER! This Defense is soft, not Steeler like. Bend but don't break ain't gonna cut it. And had NO answers, no adjustment, couldn't make a stop if their life was on the line. Pathetic, simply pathetic. With a sliver of Defense we would be facing the cheats. A SLIVER! Nada. This is on the head of Butler. I would like to see Butler and the whole coaching staff be gone and bring in someone from the outside. Won't happen so I will take Lake and Porter being gone with Haley right behind...

Ugh it's to early to drink...

21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the Jags were just a better team or a bad match up for the Steelers. No point living with the idea that the Steelers were a better team when the Jags beat them twice. At some point just need to accept that fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Key points to the loss that I noticed:

1) The Steelers defense never established dominance at the line.
    2) The Steelers did not convert on key 4th down attempts.
    3) The Steelers defense did not stop key 3rd and 4th down conversions by the Jags.
    4) The Steelers offense line never established dominance at the LOS on running plays.
    5) The Steelers defensive secondary blew a lot of opportunities.

Items #2 and #4 can be fixed pretty easily: run the ball up the gut and have the O-Line dig in and push the opposing D-Line backward. They have the personnel for this, currently.

Items #1 and #3 are pretty much tied together. I want to call out all the holding that wasn't called on the Jags offensive line, but that is a moot point. The game is what the game is and the refs seem to turn a blind eye to that in many games. The Steelers front 7 have to find a way to demolish opposing O-Lines and collapse the pocket. Also, they need to get gap sound to stop the run.

Item #5 is troubling. There were players in position to take the ball on several plays. However, even with with individual physical talent and skill, awareness seems to have been an issue that caused a lack of takeaways.

Items #1, #3 and #5 must be addressed if the Steelers want to sniff another Super Bowl. Defense still wins championships.

23. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    This.

While I applaud the efforts of the defender, McDonald could have prevented the INT had he been set and made a better attempt on that ball.

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There was no way Mcdonald could had prevented that INT. The DB needed to tipped pass to catch the INT. It appeared the ball was thrown slightly behind Mcdonald. The placement of the pass allowed the DB to make a play on the ball. The ball needed to be placed out in front of Mcdonald due to the tight coverage by the DB. I don't believe Ben got enough core and leg power drive behind the pass to throw it more accurately and effectively.

25. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    This could be true. I'd need to examine the replay again. That would explain why it looked like McDonald was falling away from the ball as it arrived.