1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Ham

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by steel1031, Jul 12, 2012.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't have any bad feelings about Jack Ham. He is an HOF and was a great player for the Steelers, one of the best. An he only stated what he felt about his coach, so how can you condone him for that. As far as JoPa, can't say much for him now, however, I fine it very convenient for them to blame him for everything now that he's dead! He can't defend himself or tell his side because he's not hear.

However, I will say that he should have stopped it right from the start, dead in his tracks. It was his obligation to do it. He's gone now and they got the slime ball Sandusky. Now he should get the CHAIR!!!!!

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This BS about 98 is horse crap! There was an investigation in 98 with one of the victims mother involved and they did nothing. At the very least it should have been turned over to the local police. Hindsight 20/20.

OH, Franco did make some statements about the recent Freeh report. http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... es-644596/
    I'm more along the lines of the way he's thinking. I don't know why I'm having trouble getting the full report downloaded. All I seem to get are clips and excerpts.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I haven't forced myself to read it yet, but here you go~
    http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 071212.pdf

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Their all scum! Everyone from Paterno right on down to the janitors. When Paterno found out about one of the kids he didn't initially tell the higher ups because he didn't want to "ruin anyone's weekend"! What a joke of a man! And how is that these people think all they need to do is tell some person at a college? How stupid would it be if I witnessed a child being molested and then go in to work the next monday and tell my supervisors at UPS? Why did they not IMMEDIATELY call the cops? They are ALL cowards. One of them also said that he saw sandusky with his arms wrapped around a young boy IN A SHOWER and that it was "EXTREMELY SEXUAL" and Joe Paterno described it as "wrestling around"!? I read part of that report and it's got me so mad that I just can't even finish it. If ANYONE defends paterno they are low life losers and all those retards that camped out in protest oughtta have to go spend a night with sandusky!

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    This should be moved to other!!!!

Has nothing to do with STEELERS!!!!!

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well it started that way, I just was looking for help with a jack ham comment

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I also was thinking this really had nothing to do with the Steelers also. But I guess since we are mentioning Franco and Ham that's why it's staying.

8. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Coach should have done more and now his legacy is tarnished permanently because of it. And rightfully so. I have always had great respect for what Joe did for PSU's football program and the university as a whole, but I cannot and will not put that ahead of the inaction that was taken. Football is football, but what happened to those kids is unspeakable.

9. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jo Pa coulda, woulda, shoulda,. We will never know. He had his judgement day when he left this earth by a power much greater than us mortals. I hope the Lord saw things differently than we are seeing them.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That's the whole thing right there, I keep hearing about all the good he did and yes, he certainly did, but if Paterno never existed, would any of the people he helped been any worse off? Would their lives have been ruined without Joe Paterno in it? Because he ruined lives by not putting a stop to Sandusky. His bad deed far outweighs his good deeds.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a nobody, And a Pitt supporter, Football is king in State College,(Columbus, Austin, Gainesville,
    Tuscaloosa)and Joe was afraid of the consequenses this bad press(death Penalty) would have on the program.I do not know all the facts, I would hope that if I was put in that situation, I would have
    made the right decision.Joe should have done more.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm halfway through this Freeh report. I have to say the tone he starts and continues with is one of damning towards all the senior people involved. It makes sure to put Paterno's name in with the president, AD and head of the University police every time they are mentioned.

What I find lacking is the hard evidence that Paterno was the architect of the cover-up! The damning and accusing tone is there, but then it follows with evidence of the AD and President sweeping it. When Joe is mentioned it's as some hand written notes alongside drafts of retirement conditions. So far there's nothing in there except "staff and former members of the football team and alumni" stating that Joe knew everything about the program, nothing goes on in his buildings that he doesn't know about. I'm not saying he shouldn't be blamed at all, but what I'm seeing in this report doesn't scream "Main architect of Cover-up!", as they would have you believe.

13. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Remember the Freeh report is a report. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a legal finding nor is it binding. The report does make some leaps in connecting the dots.

One has to ask, if Paterno knew all what is alleged in the report then why did not the DA charge Paterno while he was still alive? The DA had the same access to all the emails and documents as Freeh did, so why did the DA not charge Paterno?

Not saying that he is not at fault here, but folks need to put two and two together here at bit.

The fact is that Paterno is dead and cannot defend nor tell his side of the story. The other three can and will attempt to throw Paterno as far under the bus as possible since they will be attempting to avoid jail in the near future. Why not blame the dead guy?

Secondly, although Paterno may have known about he 98 incident as supposed by the report, no one except those directly involved can say how this information was presented to Paterno. Since Paterno did not use email, who knows how the conversations went between the top brass and Paterno.

Let's say it was presented to Paterno that there was a report that Sandusky was caught raping a child. It takes huge leap that goes against all the previous history of Paterno to say that he would have done nothing and just carried on. That would mean he was indeed a monster in his own right.

On the other hand, in 98 suppose it was presented to Paterno that Sandusky was horsing around or some such language with a young boy. Could it be remotely possible that the brass did not give Joe the entire story? Remember, the story was investigated by the Campus police and the head guy failed to press charges. Now, exactly what was told Paterno? Details? The report does not say.

Move forward to 2001 and McQuerry comes to Paterno with what he saw. Exactly what did he tell Joe? His testimony has changed and in Joe's testimony to the Grand Jury, he did not indicated Sandusky was raping a child. Again, what type of language was used and how was it presented to him. To Joe's credit, albeit just a little, he did contact his superiors. The ball is in their court. Sandusky in 2001 was not an employee of PSU, nor part of the football program.

So, now figure that Joe is gone and we have 3 more trials coming up. What do you think those 3 will say when it comes to exactly what Joe knew and when he knew it.

Remember, this is the same Paterno that threw Curtis Enis off the team before a bowl game because he had talked to an agent. This is the same Paterno that disciplined his players by preventing them from playing due to grade or conduct issues many times. This is the same Paterno that let players go that did not live up to the PSU conduct standards. But when it came to child rape, he went against everything he had taught lived and breathed for 60 years and refused to act. Does this sound like the behavior of someone with the history of conduct related issues with the football team?

Not saying Joe is innocent here, but at this point, they can say that Joe was also a crack whore. Are you going to believe the 3 if they say Joe was a closet criminal? Do folks not see where this is going?

Of course, Joe will continually get dragged through the mud just like that dead soldier got dragged through the city in Africa years ago, yet he cannot answer from the grave.

Joe was neglegent and has said so before he died. At this point it is just piling on and it is only going to get worse when the 3 canaries begin to sing at their trials.

FWIW, if Franco and Ham want to still believe in Joe, that is their business. If you find out your Dad was had an affair 20 years ago and hid it from you, would you totally disown him and everything he ever taught you? Look, this is no small task and the charges are incredibly serious, but since Joe cannot speak, he is an easy fall guy.

rutan

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The way I feel about it is that Joe had his chance to speak for the last 14 years and didn't. That's the problem.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah...Joe knew...and did nothing....He was the face of PSU...He should take the most heat!!..I myself have photos of myself with the JoPa statue...It pains me to say this but......It needs to go.....Joe KNEW!!!!...and did nothing.. in fact helped hide it.

Sorry Joe..R.I.P....PSU is a learning instatution....NOT a football factory!!!

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Tear it Down!! Destroy the Lasche Building!! It's the source of all evil in the world. Tear up the roads he used to get the boys there! Burn his house to the ground! We'll find a way to go back in time and make things right if we have to destroy the whole campus!

17. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Anybody actually think that Jay Paterno didn't know anything about all that sickness? Did they (PSU), throw him out yet?

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    SMU which is a small University was banned from playing football by the NCAA back in the 80s known as the death penalty, then, and still is today, and that was for paying players out of a slush fund: Compared to Penn States scandal, I guess you could say that was a pretty small time violation, I guess you can say the NCAA thinks Penn State is too big to fail, it makes you wonder if PState was a small student body college like SMU, would their football program have been given the death penalty????

19. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It's exactly that reason why they didn't give PSU the death penalty. SMU never recovered.

That said, what SMU did made for an unfair advantage over other schools in competition. What PSU did doesn't even technically fall under the NCAA's domain. It had nothing to do with fair play. Should they have been punished? It's hard to argue no. But I doubt you'll ever see the death penalty again.