1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jabrill Peppers = Jeremy Cash 2.0

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by StillHERNation, Feb 7, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Now the CB/S versatility is something that is different to me, when compared to the LB/S hybrids, but that's my take on it. I like those CB/S guys like Eric Rowe too, as well as Quentin Rollins etc. You could put Iowa's Desmond King in that class for this year. The CB and S position are more comparable for player size and athleticism. I think the disparity between LB and S is much bigger which further muddies the water for a player that falls in between the two positions.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I am not against those LB/S players, but I am questioning whether Butler can utilize that talent or develop a role for them. I'm sure he could but I don't think its an avenue he wants to go down.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. I am all about speed, but we saw how Shazier struggled until he put on added weight to handle OL. Same can be said for an in the box safety at the LOS. It is a mismatch that OL will always win. Lets stay with a traditional safety/CB. Thats why when I look for OLB/Edge rusher I am looking for some one heavier than 230, they will never succeed going up against a 325 lb T. Lets start with an OLB at 250 with speed. Or Bud Dupree size

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Well done Turtle. Well done. :applaud:

To add to Turtle's statement, here is a quote from markberger.com about a player who was similarly criticised during the draft process;

"Troy Polamalu (USC, 5-10, 206) According to both the BLESTO and National scouting combines, Polamalu is the top senior safety prospect in the 2003 draft. MVP of his team last year. Ran an amazing 4.35-40 and vertical jumped 43" at his "Pro day" workout, but isn't considered very good in coverage. Is short by NFL standards and he has a history of injuries (i.e., 2003 Orange Bowl). Late 1st -early 2nd round."

Why is this story so familiar via the bolded? Granted, as big a Troy supporter I am, many Steelers fans have told me that Troy's first year was quite the disaster; some even wanting Troy to be traded. All it toom was a defensive coordinator chamge and some defensive tweaks and Troy was off to the races.

Getting back to Jabrill... I can say this for certain; who knows what his combine numbers are going to be, never mind his pro day? Furthermore, can Butler really use Peppers akin to what LeBeau did for Troy?

As it stands.. I myself, am uncertain. Besides, if someone like Takkarist Mckinley or even Hasson Reddick appear at 30 with Peppers somehow there... that could create quite the bevy of discussion in the war room.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    troy could run a 4.35 40. big difference. :cool:

5. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ive never seen Peppers cover an WR. Ive seen him stand infront of one at the line of scrimmage but never seen him cover anyone. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    He could actually cover too. Lol

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Are you implying Jabrill cannot?

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

When he got accustomed to the new scheme under LeBeau.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no i don't think he will nor does he have the ability troy had. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Troy was not good at coverage as much either at USC.

As for your comment about Jabrill not being able to run sub 4.3 speed.. we shall see soon enough yet.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He didn't cover much in College because he wasn't required to ...We need help in all 3 positions that he played in College ...He has the skill to play any and all 3 of those positions in the NFL ...His best fit is probably the single LB in the 4-1-6 and 5-1-5 types of Defenses that are really the future of the NFL...

He has the speed and Athletic ability to play RB'S and TE'S in the passing game...If he is available and we pass on him , I think that will be a huge mistake...

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not close. 4.47 not bad but the coverage is not there so far. lb .... very small for that. 4-3 backer may be his spot. :shrug::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Did not watch. I assume those are his combine results?

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Why are people saying the Peppers can't cover? Go back and watch his 2015 games when he was a good college corner. He may not have been Patrick Peterson, but he was pretty good. I've finally had time to watch 7 or 8 of his games, including a few from 2015, and I think he's potentially a special talent as a pure NFL strong safety. Never mind the LB thing. I think playing LB was great for the development of his toughness in run support, but I see bona-fide elite safety potential. Add in the return skills, and you've got a Top 10-15 pick IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He measured 5-11 213, forget any talk about peppers being an NFL linebacker, some question where he fits and question whether he can be a true safety, I wouldnt spend a first round pick on him....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Peppers could be a shiny new toy for Butler, he's primarily a safety but can be moved around. Let Butler figure out how to get the most out of him but if nothing else, he'd be a good safety.

He instantly upgrades ST too and can make an impact there immediately.

The more I look at this kid the more I like him as the #1 pick. He's cocky as hell too, I like that, need confidence in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    then you have obi at 6-4 224 with really good ball skills, running a 4.46 same as peppers. talking about a guy you can move around. pretty impressive. :cool:

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

His range and versatility to boot.

Would not be upset if he is the last option Pittsburgh has on the table.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If you guys want the STs value/versatility that is there with Peppers, why not target Adoree Jackson? You know where he is playing in the NFL.... CB. There's no hybrid talk, he is a CB all the way and can do returns. Don't know about 1:30 but in the 2nd if he's there

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Adoree could be in play for us in round one should all options be gone by then.

Versatility is the name of the game these days. Besides, Jackson kills two birds with one stone in the facet of cornerback and kick/punt returning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not a negative for me.

Theres a number of good options at DB, Steelers are going to walk away with a quality one which is good because I expect Peppers to be off the board by 30.

22. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Peppers won't be around at the 30th spot. Too much upside to let him get to that point

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    then obi followed that 4.46 with a 4.40. thats moving for a man his size. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All that remains is that all important three cone and short shuttle drills. Those will come on his pro day. Should he score well.... he is round one without question.

25. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Not implying.. he cant. 27 targets.. 20 receptions.