1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jabrill Peppers = Jeremy Cash 2.0

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by StillHERNation, Feb 7, 2017.

1. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I really dont like him. He cant cover for ****. He's like a 5th LB type of Box Safety.

Yes, he can kick return and do all these other things. But he cant play his actual positions. What good is drafting a Safetybif you know he cant cover? Make him a project for 2yrs?? Not if you are drafting him in the first or 2nd Rd.

To me.. he is a serious project.. I wouldnt take him until the 3rd or 4th.

Look at his highlight reel. Same exact similarties as Jeremy Cash on defense.

Great tackler on defense, can blitz.. and nothing else.

He's an undersized LB in the NFL, and that's it.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I just don't think we should take him period. I agree with you that he's basically a 5th LB "box safety". I honestly believe he's best suited to be a 4-3 WLB. I wouldn't really touch him at S at this point. We already have a SS in Davis too, we should be looking at FS instead.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Is that good being a Jeremy Cash 2.0?

Jeremy Cash seemed like a man without a position in today's NFL. I felt he should have bulked up to a true LB.

4. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Yea, it's most def not a compliment. Jabril just can not cover. Great run defender and blitzer though.

5. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    I agree bro.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He is in the process of doing just that. The Panthers play him on special teams and as a LB. He has already bulked up some. He was 205 as a S, but played last year at over 220. They want him to add more yet, but that will come in time. On another note, let's not forget that Thomas Davis was about 225 coming out of college. Small for an OLB, but look what he has done over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was just going to post the same thing about Cash. I loved his tackling ability in college, but didn't see the range needed for a S. He definitely made the right move. Cash has the body frame to bulk up though. I don't think Peppers does, which would be the difference between the two imo.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I haven't seen enough of Peppers to make any comment on him, I just have seen Cash play a bunch. In fact when he was a UDFA after the draft I wanted the Steelers to sign him.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To me peppers has bust written all over him. He will kill it at pro day and combine. He was a great college player who just doesn't have a position in NFL. Special teams sure but that is worth a 5th round pick not 1st.

I have heard some Michigan fans compare him to Charles woodson.lmao

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sua Cravens is more of comparison for Peppers than Jeremy Cash. He went to the 'skins in the 2nd round and was making some splash plays as a LB for them until some injuries hit. He played in 11 games. By most reports, the 'skins DC had trouble finding him a spot on the field consistently. But he made plays when on the field. And one team beat writer said he is planning on moving to safety for next year.

Regarding his move to safety, I'll see it when I believe it but either way, this is the reason I wasn't sold on Cravens last year and Peppers this year. Don't have anything against the players, but I am not confident Butler finds a role. KB seems more rigid in his schemes and personnel to effectively use a situational talent in a hybrid role.

I had the same misgivings last offseason with Haley and utilizing a dynamic TE. Well they acquired Green and I thought they used him effectively, albeit on a small sample size. Now I have no qualms about a dynamic TE being drafted as you can see. I'll have the same reservations about Butler until they get a hybrid like player and use him effectively. Obviously Butler was here as LBs coach when Polamalu was roaming the field and that can give him a blueprint, but that was an evolution over time. Wouldn't you have to learn multiple positions, something Davis struggled with early on? Until I see it, I don't think Butler has the moxie to initiate that wrinkle into the D. It's not a knock on him, its just his preference.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this is where i thought a josh harvey-clemons would work out for us. 6-4 228 already. has some safety skills but can still add some muscle and settle in as an ilb. size and range. :cool:

12. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    I didnt like Sua either. Nor the Polamalu comparisons. Smh

13. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Ive seen Josh as well.. he cant cover either and he's slow as hell. He isnt a good tackler either.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as an ilb? i'm not talking him being a safety anymore and trying to play center field. :cool:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    These Hybrid players scare me.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Why Peppers is falling in the draft:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/02/10/jabrill-peppers-nfl-draft/97744216/

• Like Like x 1
  17. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Even as an ILB.. he has to learn how to cover.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think he would be fine at that spot. he's got those long arms too that could help him keep guys off of him. i think he'd be a good fit as an ilb for us. he don't do to bad tackling. butler can help him with lb'er coverage duties which i don't think is a major problem for him. :cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was in Sua's camp, he has a very promising career, I think people were wrong on him and has handled himself well so far. He'll be even better when they move him back to safety.

I like these versatile players, I dont know why some frown upon it. In todays league, it only helps having that flexibility.

20. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Show me footage of Peepers coverage skills vs a TE or WR.

There isnt any.

21. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    I disagree.. Ive actually seen his tape. He's never in coverage vsca TE. HB on the screen.. but man.. he'll get abused in coverage

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i've seen tape too. LOL some good some not so good. they are also trying to use him at a different position which he is learning as this hybris safety/ LB role. never said he was an immediate starter but there is a lot to work with as an ilb for us in our zone drop that we ask our ILB'ers to do. we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :cool:

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't watched any film on Peppers yet, I was speaking in general, people dont like these versatile players.

As far as your statement, opinions vary. I read he's actually good at. People say stuff like you are all the time, I remember similar things being said about Eric Rowe and Neal Keanu, two versatile guys I liked and both played in the SB this year.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    How was Keanu Neal a versatile type player like Rowe, Peppers, etc? He is a hard hitting safety but wasn't a swiss army knife guy like we are talking here. There wasn't any talk of him going to linebacker that I can remember.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Versatile as in they both played the CB and Safety position.

Edit: Misremembered about keanu, he only played the safety position.